how can i record spacecraft?

everything is going swimmingly until i try to record spacecraft for some ambience. is it possible to do this?

Comments

• Are you a NASA employee? That would absolutely help.

• I don't own any spacecraft but presuming you're talking about the AU and not vessels capable of getting beyond Earth's gravitational pull, you probably want to use the Mixdown feature. (Han) Solo your Spacecraft track and follow the instructions here: https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/nanostudio2/user-manual/Project.html#mixdown

Then, import that mixdown into an Obsidian "sample" oscillator or a Slate pad.

• @Will said:
    Are you a NASA employee? That would absolutely help.

why no, im gordon bombay, the new hockey coach.

• @gordon_bombay said:

@Will said:

There was a time when I actually got hockey references. It was around the time MIDI was adopted as a standard. :) Sadly, not lying.

• @Will said:

@gordon_bombay said:

@Will said:

There was a time when I actually got hockey references. It was around the time MIDI was adopted as a standard. :) Sadly, not lying.

lol

• I tried recording from SC yesterday it’s the same as in Cubasis by the way no joy on recording.

• edited December 2018

In Soviet Russia (and I assume in other parts of the world) Spacecraft records itself. :(

• @gordon_bombay said:
    boo

Hmmm, maybe the Spacecraft dev should enable recording in the AU like it is in the standalone?

As it is you could run BM3 with Ableton Link at the same time and use that for recording, assuming you have it of course.

• @jumpercollins said:
    I tried recording from SC yesterday it’s the same as in Cubasis by the way no joy on recording.

Ah. So when you go to mixdown in Cubasis or NS2 the Spacecraft track is not present?

• @Will said:

@jumpercollins said:
    I tried recording from SC yesterday it’s the same as in Cubasis by the way no joy on recording.

Ah. So when you go to mixdown in Cubasis or NS2 the Spacecraft track is not present?

Was talking to Mark the dev about it yesterday he said it’s a major omission by all DAW developers for recording SpaceCraft as you can only record in a AUM and I believe ApeMatrix. He busy working on Android version at present.

• it’s a major omission by all DAW developers for recording SpaceCraft

Hmm. Would be good to get to the bottom of it. Since most other AUs record properly in Cubasis and NS2, it seems a bit 'not my problem' to suggest it's entirely down to the DAW developers.

• @Will said:

it’s a major omission by all DAW developers for recording SpaceCraft

Hmm. Would be good to get to the bottom of it. Since most other AUs record properly in Cubasis and NS2, it seems a bit 'not my problem' to suggest it's entirely down to the DAW developers.

Only if the developer actually wants to sell software.

• @Will said:

It records fine in BM3

• edited December 2018

@jumpercollins said:

Not sure if you tried this but you can host Spacecraft in Aum then host Aum in Cubasis to record it. Then you can select ranges etc to send to NS2. But of course you can just record it in Aum and send it from there too, but it is nice to do coarse edits in Cubasis.

• @Audiogus said:

@Will said:

It records fine in BM3

Good to know. Maybe it's just a couple of emails between Matt and the developer to sort out what makes it different (on either side) from all of the other AUs that seem to record fine in NS.

• edited December 2018

H> @Will said:

@Audiogus said:

@Will said:

It records fine in BM3

Good to know. Maybe it's just a couple of emails between Matt and the developer to sort out what makes it different (on either side) from all of the other AUs that seem to record fine in NS.

Not sure I follow. What do you mean by record? Automation? Audio? There isnt any audio recording in NS2 aside from line in.

• edited December 2018

@Will said:

@Audiogus said:

@Will said:

It records fine in BM3

Are you refering to the missing record button in the AU that is in the standalone...?

• edited December 2018

@Audiogus said:

@Will said:

@Audiogus said:

@Will said:

It records fine in BM3

Not sure I follow. What do you mean by record? Automation? Audio? There isnt any audio recording in NS2 aside from line in.

I meant 'mixdown', not record but was using your phrase 'records fine'. I don't own Spacecraft—just trying to help sort out the problem the OP and others are having. I might be totally misunderstanding the problem! If so, apologies.

Sounds like it mixes down fine in AUM, ApeMatrix and BM3 but doesn't mix down in Cubasis or NS2. Since other AUs mix down without problem in Cubasis and NS2, I'm suggesting/guessing there's something different wrt SpaceCraft.

• @Will said:

@Audiogus said:

@Will said:

@Audiogus said:

@Will said:

It records fine in BM3

I meant 'mixdown', not record but was using your phrase 'records fine'. I don't own Spacecraft—just trying to help sort out the problem the OP and others are having. I might be totally misunderstanding the problem! If so, apologies.

Sounds like it mixes down fine in AUM, ApeMatrix and BM3 but doesn't mix down in Cubasis or NS2. Since other AUs mix down without problem in Cubasis and NS2, I'm suggesting/guessing there's something different wrt SpaceCraft.

Ahh I see. Yah Spacecraft is awesome, I totaly recommend it. You pretty much do need to play it with your finger live and record it as it doesn’t have a sequencer. It is kind of like Samplr in that regard.

• @Audiogus said:

@Will said:

@Audiogus said:

@Will said:

@Audiogus said:

@Will said:

It records fine in BM3

Ahh I see. Yah Spacecraft is awesome, I totaly recommend it. You pretty much do need to play it with your finger live and record it as it doesn’t have a sequencer. It is kind of like Samplr in that regard.

That's the bit I was missing! Looks like I was indeed totally misunderstanding the problem. Sorry for any confusion. Let me try to summarize again to see if I have it right (mostly to save future-Matt time).

Since there's no way to trigger SpaceCraft from the piano roll, there is no way to capture its output within NS since you can't play live while a mixdown is happening and there's no "live" resampling at this point.

Is that it?

Glad you found (and shared) a workaround.

Also, thanks for the recommendation. Haven't really looked into this one yet but the name and screenshots seem right up my alley.

• I thought spacecraft had been updated a while ago with midi options vs it’s internal sequencer? Haven’t had time to use it much since then but it’s in settings options. Doesn’t that allow sequencing from ns2 piano roll?

• @Audiogus said:

@jumpercollins said:

Not sure if you tried this but you can host Spacecraft in Aum then host Aum in Cubasis to record it. Then you can select ranges etc to send to NS2. But of course you can just record it in Aum and send it from there too, but it is nice to do coarse edits in Cubasis.

yea i know there are workarounds to get it in there but wanted to see if i was missing something when it comes to recording it straight away in ns2 without tedious workarounds. and that is fairly tedious but hey welcome to ios music production.

• @flockz said:
    I thought spacecraft had been updated a while ago with midi options vs it’s internal sequencer? Haven’t had time to use it much since then but it’s in settings options. Doesn’t that allow sequencing from ns2 piano roll?

You can indeed control spacecraft from the piano roll. In addition you can map parameters to macro knobs and record automation - or assign those macro knobs to Rozeta LFO and modulate.

While a lot of the fun in spacecraft imho is playing the controls in the spacecraft ui in real time, for now you still can use it in ns2 via piano roll and automation of parameters— and it does render fine on mixdown

• @hightunnels said:

@flockz said:
    I thought spacecraft had been updated a while ago with midi options vs it’s internal sequencer? Haven’t had time to use it much since then but it’s in settings options. Doesn’t that allow sequencing from ns2 piano roll?

You can indeed control spacecraft from the piano roll. In addition you can map parameters to macro knobs and record automation - or assign those macro knobs to Rozeta LFO and modulate.

Woah i gotta catch up on my Spacecraft.

• @hightunnels said:

@flockz said:

While a lot of the fun in spacecraft imho is playing the controls in the spacecraft ui in real time, for now you still can use it in ns2 via piano roll and automation of parameters— and it does render fine on mixdown

Look forward to trying this after work. Thanks!