How can I enter an external track

Hi everyone, I am getting into ns2 but prefer nanostudio 1 at the moment. I notice that if i enter an audio track of 3 minutes as a sample it gets muted after 20 seconds. Is there a way to put external audio tracks into ns2?

Comments

• There's an app called MultiTrack Recorder that can be used in place of audio tracks. It's not ideal, but can work.

The biggest limitation is you can't record directly into it from outside of NS2. You can send NS2 tracks to it. You can import audio clips to it. But to record into it you need to record into the standalone version, after which you can make use of the recorded audio.

Search Multitrack in the forum search bar for more info...

• edited April 2021

@rolandobabel said:
    Hi everyone, I am getting into ns2 but prefer nanostudio 1 at the moment. I notice that if i enter an audio track of 3 minutes as a sample it gets muted after 20 seconds. Is there a way to put external audio tracks into ns2?

You can either change the sample trigger mode from One-Shot to Sustain, which will not decay as long as the note is held, or keep the trigger mode in One-Shot and nudge D2 (basically release) just a bit more open so it is at infinite. Then it will play all the way through every time it’s triggered.

By default the D2 value looks completely open but is not, because you can load seriously long samples and if you trigger it once, it will play through to the end unless you stop it manually or shorten the decay.

• @rolandobabel
    I have found MultiTrack does a good job of adding audio support to NS2 and satisfies my needs. The only downside I have found so far is when you need to move things around as you have two timelines to worry about. I plan on experimenting with triggering my audio as loops via MT rather than laying them out in the MT timeline, this way I can move the “trigger clip” around in NS2 along with the rest of my MIDI.

I tend to record my take(s) in AUM and then import them into the MultiTrack pool when they have been edited. Doing it directly in MultiTrack as number37 suggested means it is immediately available in NS2. If you are just importing pre-canned audio then this will be straightforward.

MultiTrack has been improved with better loop support recently and I plan to investigate this for more efficient multi-takes in the app. I do normally have some editing to do even after a good take so I would still need to bounce around a few apps.

There is a hack using SonoBus which lets you record directly into NS2 from an external source but it is a bit fiddly if you are just starting out. Setting it up is similar to these instructions, except you are going from AUM to NS2 rather than the other way: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/43076/use-sonobus-to-expose-daw-tracks-to-aum/p1

• @Stiksi said:

@rolandobabel said:

You can either change the sample trigger mode from One-Shot to Sustain, which will not decay as long as the note is held, or keep the trigger mode in One-Shot and nudge D2 (basically release) just a bit more open so it is at infinite. Then it will play all the way through every time it’s triggered.

By default the D2 value looks completely open but is not, because you can load seriously long samples and if you trigger it once, it will play through to the end unless you stop it manually or shorten the decay.

Thanks this solved my problem and imcreases the chance that i will use ns2 more. Ar the moment I am using ns1 a lot still. I have the idea there is a quality loss of samples in ns1 but it sounds warmer, less in your face commercial than ns2 but im just starting with ns2

• edited April 2021

@rolandobabel said:

@Stiksi said:

@rolandobabel said:

Thanks this solved my problem and imcreases the chance that i will use ns2 more. Ar the moment I am using ns1 a lot still. I have the idea there is a quality loss of samples in ns1 but it sounds warmer, less in your face commercial than ns2 but im just starting with ns2

@rolandobabel said:

@Stiksi said:

@rolandobabel said:

You can add saturation and a lowpass filter in the Slate FX bus or in the mixer, which will warm it up. And a short room reverb with lots of damping will warm it up even further. NS2 is very transparent – it doesn’t colour the sound at all – by design, but you can add your personal colour and save the FX chain as a preset, or if you want it to always be there for every project, you can add the chain to your Main Mix channel and save that as a default project.

One of the greatest time-saving features in NS2 is that it allows you to customize the default project however you want. At least it has saved me a ton of time!

And of course, if you just don’t like the sound of Obsidian, you can use an AUv3 synth like Moog Model D, which should be pretty good for synthwave. Or buy @dendy’s pack of analog multisampled patches for Obsidian, which achieves much of the same thing but you can use dozens of them.