I used my own app to make some music

edited August 2021 in Creations

During lockdown I had little chance to develop NanoStudio 2, but I was able to get some time to actually use the app I'd created to make some music.

Admittedly much of that music was crap, but a few tracks stood out as the diamonds in the rough so I took them to completion and added them to this playlist.

All tracks created in NanoStudio 2 using the built-in instruments and effects. Vocal samples are from Splice.

Without getting too meta, a fascinating thought is that if I created the app and then used the app to create the music then I could possibly claim I've made these tracks from the bit level upwards. Except for the vocal samples - I can't sing like that.

I still have a lot to learn about mixing.

Peace xxx

Comments

• Good Job! The first one is my favourite, and I actually think all three might sound better without the vocals. I like the LTJ Bukem vibe you've got going and it's good to see that you found some time to be creative.

• edited August 2021

agree with richard, i would like those tracks more without vocals :-))) On other side maybe without they will be a bit empty in some parts, so probably it's ok.. sounds PRO anyway, it's jusy that indon't like vocals too much in general ...

btw you talented bastard, not only you are great coder and UI/UX designer (stiksi would probably argue except about contrast part :-))) but also pretty good musician, that's not fair πŸ˜‚πŸ€£

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

oh and mixing/overall sound ia really great, i wish to be able to make such big sound..

• edited August 2021

put those tracks to bandcamp as EP for like 5Β£ , my bets are you sell some .. just put link on AB forum, maybe you'll be surprised :-)

• Man these are great!! Your mix is so spacious. I hear what I need to and the drums are STELLAR. Great programming. Sick stuff, sir πŸ‘ŠπŸ»

• edited August 2021

Whenever I hear vocals on a dance track I want them removed. Short samples can get annoying and long meaningful lyrics just sound long without the meaningful bit.

It's way harder to prop up a whole track instrumentally. As soon as I added the vocals it was basically job done after a bit of tidying up. It did feel like cheating, but getting some vocals like that from Splice does make it a lot of fun - I'd recommend it for some inspiration even if you only subscribe for a month.

I like the LTJ Bukem vibe you've got going

Yeah basically I'm 50 and haven't moved on from the 90's. It's OK though, I knew that if I waited long enough the 90's would be trendy again. Has anyone else been hearing the M1 organ a lot on mainstream radio over the last year? That surely means we've reached about 1989/90 again :)

• @Blip Interactive said:
    Yeah basically I'm 50 and haven't moved on from the 90's. It's OK though, I knew that if I waited long enough the 90's would be trendy again. Has anyone else been hearing the M1 organ a lot on mainstream radio over the last year? That surely means we've reached about 1989/90 again :)

I relate, I'm 51 and reviving shoegaze!

• I’m 51 and desperately want breakbeat to come back around.

• As far as I'm concerned, shoegaze and breakbeats never went.

• Dayum! OK, I’m impressed, these sound great!

As for the vocals maybe just drop in some stutter code and comb filter stuff? ;)

• Excellent work! Some great grooves going on. Matching vocals and music is a skill in itself, and I think these tracks work nicely. I will have to re-read the manual and see if it is in fact allowed to have vocal tracks without audio tracks. There may be some sort of violation going on here.

• Number three is def my favourite!! But I guess you old guys over 50 never heard drum n bass before (IΒ΄m 47 :p )
    The crisp clear drum sound makes me drool and I think I wrote the same back when you released some test tunes of how NS2 would sound, that you are truly a rennaissance man!!!
    It also makes me realise that I could never again blame NS2 for bad sounds =)

• @Jeppan74 said:
    Number three is def my favourite!! But I guess you old guys over 50 never heard drum n bass before (IΒ΄m 47 :p )
    The crisp clear drum sound makes me drool and I think I wrote the same back when you released some test tunes of how NS2 would sound, that you are truly a rennaissance man!!!
    It also makes me realise that I could never again blame NS2 for bad sounds =)

Yes, the clarity of the whole mix is just beautiful!

• Some of the best drum sequencing I've ever heard. πŸ‘πŸΌ

• Mighty impressive! Great variety and the mixes sound lovely.

• @Matt: thanks for sharing your music, great tracks! Personally I think the vocals are fine, maybe the ones on the second track might be a bit much.

In any case, it would be interesting to know how you approach the drum programming in NS2. Do you use a single Slate or do you break the kits up over multiple devices? Do you use automation or have multiple copies of the same sample with different pitch/effects? Thank you.

• @Blip Interactive all three tracks are pretty good! Although I do agree with guys that it could do without vocals but that’s mostly how I like it so anyway. What I really liked was your complex drum programming. Great stuff