Feature request chords and arpeggios

Chords and arpeggios for Obsidian and note repeat for slate

Comments

• Can chords be made in Obsidian? Meaning similar to setting scale and doing auto chords for someone like myself who can’t play chords in reality

• edited December 2018

@nkdvkng said:
    Can chords be made in Obsidian? Meaning similar to setting scale and doing auto chords for someone like myself who can’t play chords in reality

Yes with the three voices you can adjust the semitones. You can do this in Obsidian and Slate as a matter of fact =)

But there are lots of other chord and arpeggio options that would compliment our amazing selection of scales

• You can also use a Slate as a custom scale/chord player by routing a MIDI Send to an Obsidian track.
    You can customize the notes each pad plays so arranging a custom scale is short work, then playing chords is just a matter of pressing pads in a grid.

• @3sleeves said:
    You can also use a Slate as a custom scale/chord player by routing a MIDI Send to an Obsidian track.
    You can customize the notes each pad plays so arranging a custom scale is short work, then playing chords is just a matter of pressing pads in a grid.

Oh snap :)

And then you can save the Slate preset when you’re done!

• edited December 2018

@nkdvkng said:
    Can chords be made in Obsidian? Meaning similar to setting scale and doing auto chords for someone like myself who can’t play chords in reality

Lot of patches are using this technique... (1984, 7th Heaven, 7th House, Jupiter (3-7) and many more..

Also you can create lot of arpeggiator-like (or stepsequencer-like) patches just using modulation matrix (factory patches Arping On, Megaresonant, Minimal Beat 1-3, Psycho Madness, Rhythm Disease)

@LucidMusicInc said:
    Chords and arpeggios for Obsidian and note repeat for slate

I think (and believe that's Matt plan :) lot more sense makes to create arpeggiator, chord generator and stuff like that not part of Obdidian but build in mixer MIDI FX (. This way you can then benefit from all other things like routing in mixer, recording output of such plugins to sequencer (when this possibility will ve sdded to mifi fx), or for example use it to trigger Slate ! Lots of potential fun.. Lot more versatile than lock it inside Obsidian instance ;)

• edited December 2018

@LucidMusicInc You can use the same Slate to control multiple Obsidians too, so combined with transpose controls on the Obsidian oscillators you can make some very complex chords with just a few pads.

• edited December 2018

@3sleeves Basically any track can control its parent track so it could be Slate or Obsidian or an AU or an External Midi and I’m assuming the upper limit of tracks that can be nested is pretty high if not infinite. I got up to 5 layers to get some very jazzy sounding chords and no performance hiccups whatsoever

It can get especially rich sounding if your Obsidian presets have chord samples loaded up B)

This and track lanes make NS2 my newfound home

@dendy yeah the midi fx would be the best place for that to get implemented. My AU midi fx aren’t sending midi properly in NS2 but they aren’t working properly in any of my DAWs except BM3 at the moment

• edited December 2018

The easiest method of course is to layer samples in Slate I guess which, when compared to “the other app”, is pretty damn easy :p

• edited December 2018

@LucidMusicInc right on!
    If you layer several Obsidians with the same patch and just transpose them you can use the MIDI send so that one key press in the parent Obsidian plays a chord.
    You could even have several separate groups of Obsidians, each group set up to play a different chord.
    The possibilities are almost endless!
    Just think, you could have custom envelopes, effects, and automations on each note of a chord!!!
    Each note of the chord could be a separate instrument even!!!!!

...my mind is racing, wish these damn office hours would quit interfering with my NS2 quality time :#