IAP sounds, what are your favorites?

The Acoustic packs are my favorite so far, especially the Harp in Acoustic Pack 2...my inner Dorothy Ashby is rejoicing at how beautiful it sounds! Playing it with the keyboard in chord mode with velocity on touch is getting me all verklempt...feels like I'm beckoning angels with each note.

Comments

• Someone on the audiobus forum posted that the sounds in Obsidian are not so good compared to other more professional sounding apps. I am still on a fence to purchase anything for this synth. Waiting for some in depth reviews.

• @Nyanko The IAP demos are up on the front page of this site, linked to soundcloud.

Have a listen to get a small snippet of what each IAP has to offer:
    https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/

@3sleeves haha glad the harp is getting some love (as an instrument sample or otherwise).

• @Nyanko Personally I find most of the Obsidian preset sounds on par or better than the Korg Gadget/Module sounds. I'll try to post some videos of my favorite patches in the near future.

• @StevePAL The tonal controls are great, really awesome that they can be assigned to an XY pad too...so expressive!

• Thanks, I will look around on soundcloud and youtube to listen to more sounds before getting anything. The IAPs are quite pricey so I need to make a choice as to what to take.

• @Nyanko said:
    Someone on the audiobus forum posted that the sounds in Obsidian are not so good compared to other more professional sounding apps. I am still on a fence to purchase anything for this synth. Waiting for some in depth reviews.

I own all the BeatMaker 3 apps and most of the BeatHawk ones, and the ones in NS2 that are stock sounds already impress me more. I purchased the Trap pack Vol1 and it’s also lovely. Albeit the kicks need to be worked on in regards to current Trap but aside from that the sounds are top notch. The acoustic pack demos I heard are something else as well.

• nkdvkng
  • edited December 2018

@nkdvkng said:

@Nyanko said:
    Someone on the audiobus forum posted that the sounds in Obsidian are not so good compared to other more professional sounding apps. I am still on a fence to purchase anything for this synth. Waiting for some in depth reviews.

I own all the BeatMaker 3 apps and most of the BeatHawk ones, and the ones in NS2 that are stock sounds already impress me more. I purchased the Trap pack Vol1 and it’s also lovely. Albeit the kicks need to be worked on in regards to current Trap but aside from that the sounds are top notch. The acoustic pack demos I heard are something else as well.

• nkdvkng

Thanks. I am actually interested in the industrial and atmosphere pack. I might get the first one and try it out over the weekend.

• I know it’s all just personal opinion, but I’m pretty pleased with the sounds on offer. I think sometimes it’s nice to have sounds from a different source, so we have AU for that. As a set of starting sounds though, I’m going to be able to use more of them than is the norm for most apps.

The great thing about starting with this good range of sounds though is that NS2 lets you get all the midi out. With a little work around, you can have a stem like midi for each track exported to another app to continue the song. Most iOS ‘DAWs’ don’t let you do this.

• @Nyanko said:

@nkdvkng said:

@Nyanko said:

• nkdvkng

Thanks. I am actually interested in the industrial and atmosphere pack. I might get the first one and try it out over the weekend.

let me know what you think of it. It interests me as well.

• @nkdvkng said:

@Nyanko said:

@nkdvkng said:

@Nyanko said:

• nkdvkng

let me know what you think of it. It interests me as well.

I bought it and it has really good sounds, deep synth pads, cringy and punchy guitars and lots of good basses. The main interesting thing I guess is the fact as they are presets, we can see how it's done and iterate for more specific use in our workflow. A good buy indeed.

• @Nyanko Very good point about the presets. It's fun figuring out how everything is connected and it definitely provides a good map for personal preset creation.
    I imported a folder of my own drum sounds and started making a Slate kit last night. I looked at the factory and IAP presets for reference.

Related, the drag and drop control for building layered Slate pads is quite convenient!

• edited December 2018

@3sleeves said:
    @StevePAL The tonal controls are great, really awesome that they can be assigned to an XY pad too...so expressive!

I would like to say that you should pick up the sound packs for the sounds alone but also I think they serve as a good foundation to create your own sounds.

Many of the macro controls were set up to change the sound significantly. Matt and I had a rule to avoid any "one trick pony" sounds.

That and the modulation connections are all set up, so just change the oscillator type and something pretty damn good, interesting (and different) should be coming out of your speakers ;)

• edited December 2018

And same goes for the Slate kits. Tried to make use of the modulations/compression/eq as much as possible and make them as universal as possible.

Just drop your own sounds in and it should sound... even better somehow!

• @3sleeves said:
    @Nyanko Very good point about the presets. It's fun figuring out how everything is connected and it definitely provides a good map for personal preset creation.
    I imported a folder of my own drum sounds and started making a Slate kit last night. I looked at the factory and IAP presets for reference.

Related, the drag and drop control for building layered Slate pads is quite convenient!

Holy shit you can layer? Yeeeeet I needed that info

• @StevePAL said:

@3sleeves said:
    @StevePAL The tonal controls are great, really awesome that they can be assigned to an XY pad too...so expressive!

I would like to say that you should pick up the sound packs for the sounds alone but also I think they serve as a good foundation to create your own sounds.

Many of the macro controls were set up to change the sound significantly. Matt and I had a rule to avoid any "one trick pony" sounds.

That and the modulation connections are all set up, so just change the oscillator type and something pretty damn good, interesting (and different) should be coming out of your speakers ;)

That’s one of the best parts. I had a particular synth I was using for my first beat. Making the use of the Xy to automate the filter smoothly gave my Beat much more dynamic than the way I had it originally,