Obsidian drive/saturation?

Guessing it’s me being blind but I can’t find it? Can someone point me at it. Thanks

Comments

• edited December 2018

It's called 'waveshaper' .. if you asking for insert effects of course ... in Obsidian it's part of some types of filters (12A, 24A), in Slate it is in Pad tab, FX subtab ..

• Are you asking about this?

• I was looking for a global distortion/drive? Thought it might have been in the multi-fx menu? Huge fan of the options for distortion types in the Repro-5 softsynth, would be a great place for Matt to take some ideas from for this :) Lots of sound sculpting tweakability available in that section of Repro-5.

• Will change post title to a FR..

• Seems no edit button for post title?

• edited December 2018

yeah then "waveshaper" insert ifx.. there is more modes (tune, drive, distortion,...)

https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/nanostudio2/user-manual/Effects.html#waveshaper

• @dendy said:
    yeah then "waveshaper" insert ifx.. there is more modes (tune, drive, distortion,...)

https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/nanostudio2/user-manual/Effects.html#waveshaper

Insert fx aren’t saved inside Obsidian patches ;)

• Would be great to have the Waveshaper effect ‘inside’ of Obsidian. Same way as those fx units are part of patches in Repro-5. So the complete patch is quickly Browseable/Auditionable :)

• edited December 2018

ok then you have more posibilities

• use A12 / A24 filter types. They have analog-like saturation - at right side of cutoff / resonance is "drive" knob (SlapHappy's screenshot)

• OR you can any of 3 filter slots switch to waveshaper move.. for example activate "global" filter, change it from "LP" to "WS" and then choose variant of waveshaper (tube, drive, distortion,...)

You can also switch any of first two filters from parallel to series and then you can choose which one will work as normal filter and which as waveshaper - so you can apply drive BEFORE or AFTER filtering

in this case do not forget to remap Filter envelope JUST to that one from FLT1/2 which works in filter node (by default Filter Env modulates both). Of course only in case you don't want modulate with Env also amout of drive :-) Which i used in some "neuro bass" patches i think.

Main difference between 1/2 and "Global" filter is, that 1/2 are applied independently on each played voice, where Global is applies tom mix of all played voices, With distortion this makes BIG difference so it depends on what kind of effect you need.

Althought for mono patches, it almost doesn't make anifference, because there is still
    just single voice playing.

• Ah, that sounds good with flipping the global filter to WS, will check it out! Thanks

• And for future maybe it could be made possible to use both global filter and WS (maybe could add WS to the multi-fx options in Obsidian?) in a patch :)

• edited December 2018

As i said, you can set first two
    filters to serie and then actually you can use one as filter, one as waveshaper and you still
    have free global filter ;)

• Nice! Sounds ideal :)

• Not a global effect, but also worth trying one of the analogue filters (any one with a drive control basically) and and pushing it hard by turning up the oscillator outputs. Of course you can add more on top too with the filter's drive control. This sounds a bit more 'tape saturation' to my old ears.