A very superficial feature request: Keyboard/typing

Thrilled with the notepad on the project page. Perfect place to remind myself of what I would otherwise later forget and jot lyric ideas down as the mood (literally) takes me. Would be even happier if I could have the option to type via my iPad Apple keyboard (or other). Speed and ease.

Understand if that's not possible, but -secondary bite- any way on some future day* to add a couple of missing characters to the onscreen keys? Especially question mark and colon. No doubt others also, but especially question mark and colon.

*I know, not urgent, just trying to get quietly on the list :)

Comments

• Let's see if I handle this request a bit better. The last time this was suggested I thought it was a joke. (That didn't work out so well.... :# )
    So, if I get you, the problem is using Bluetooth keyboards, or are you talking about keyboards like in the Texting app or perhaps in other Apple apps like Pages? Can you clarify this?

When you press the button in the lower left hand corner you should see the special characters, including colon and question mark. Are you not seeing this set of characters?

• +1 on enabling Bluetooth keyboard support. Sure, Matt’s custom keyboard design looks 1000 times better than the Apple one, but I do find myself wishing not to have to type on screen, and also to adapt to a keyboard that acts just enough differently to be mildly distracting.

Low, low, low priority on my score though.

• i dont get this at all..seems like a huge waste of time to develop.

• +1. using my brydge constantly and wondered why it’s not working in NS2. Never thought about being kompatible but an iOS global thing.
    Would welcome a Bluetooth keyboard support then :)

• @gordon_bombay said:
    i dont get this at all..seems like a huge waste of time to develop.

Sorry, I’m not sure what you’re saying. Huge waste of time to develop Bluetooth keyboard support, or huge waste of time to develop a custom keyboard rather than using the standard iOS keyboard ind it’s built in Bluetooth support?

Just curious what you meant.

• Jonny is busy playing with NS2 and kudos to him for that.
    I'm still not quite sure I was understanding what was requested. I haven't tried, but are you guys saying that a Bluetooth Qwerty keyboard won't work if you try to type in say NS2's Project Notes section or on the Parts or Tracks? I can see that depending upon a studio set up, typing on the iPad could actually be difficult. So if it is a low priority requests, +1 from me. If we are sorting a bug, then I'm not sure what it is. Still a little curious on this subject. I'll check back later to see how it goes.

• Yes, @SlapHappy, you’ve understood correctly. I’m typing this right now on a Bluetooth keyboard. It’s a godsend to me as a touch typist. A curse for you because I write so much more that way.

Definitely low-priority in the overall scheme of things. The only part that bothers me a little is that it seems like standard Apple functionality, that should(?) take zero to implement as part of the standard keyboard implementation, that has been sidelined for aesthetics.

I do really love said aesthetics. The keyboard does look so much better. Everything about NS2 just is so damn pleasant to look at. B)

Anyway, no big deal here.

• @number37 said:

Definitely low-priority in the overall scheme of things. The only part that bothers me a little is that it seems like standard Apple functionality, that should(?) take zero to implement as part of the standard keyboard implementation, that has been sidelined for aesthetics.

I’d guess that it would be an easy thing to overlook when you’re working on such a complex app and hoping the musical features are all working correctly. Might not have even thought about it.

• I don't think the custom keyboard is there for aesthetics. If I recall correctly it's because NS is, to the greatest extent possible, coded to be platform agnostic.

The other reason I seem to recall was to do with limiting which characters a user can enter into a file/folder name so as not to blow things up on themselves. An app can't remove characters from the standard iOS keyboard. I guess this could be done via validation/constraints but there's definitely something to be said about never having seen a single stupid Your file name contains illegal characters error in 8 years of Nanostudio! Or, worse for me anyway, when an app "cleans it up" for you without notice by removing or changing characters. :/

• edited December 2018

Yes guilty as charged with the Bluetooth keyboard - an oversight on my part. It should be easy to get it working in an update (including space bar to start/stop transport, home to go to the start of the song etc.). The code's already in there but I must need to enable some other jiggery pokery to get the naughty thing to work.

I've now made a note about it so I'll close this thread - thanks for the report.

This discussion has been closed.