edited December 2018 in General chat

Put your kits here.

Suggested bank structure, from bottom to left / top

1. row: kick, snare, closed hihat 1, long hihat 1
  2. row: kick2, snare2, closed hihat 2, long hihat 2
  3. row: crash1, crash2, rided1, rided2
  4. row: percussions
  5. ,6. row: various FX, additional percussions, voices, anything

This is structure used for factory banks, of course it is not mandatory for your kit, it's just suggested in case you want to be compatible with factory kits :-)

Comments

• edited December 2018

@dendy said:
    Put your kits here.

Suggested bank structure, from bottom to left / top

1. row: kick, snare, closed hihat 1, long hihat 1
    2. row: kick2, snare2, closed hihat 2, long hihat 2
    3. row: crash1, crash2, rided1, rided2
    4. row: percussions
    5. ,6. row: various FX, additional percussions, voices, anything

This is structure used for factory banks, of course it is not mandatory for your kit, it's just suggested in case you want to be compatible with factory kits :-)

And colour group suggestions? Yes I know that’s a bit fussy lol

• We had any for factory kits ... so it's up to everybody :) If you agree on something, i will add it to description

• Later when I’ve made more sounds I will post some. The problem I have at this time is that most of the kits I’ve made have at least a few samples in that I’ve taken from other apps and is probably slightly iffy to share them

• I’ve made have at least a few samples in that I’ve taken from other apps and is probably slightly iffy to share them

why ? you bought apps .. it's same like if you use samples from some HW synth / drum machine :)

of course in case they are not whole loops which are factory presets in other apps ..

at least in my opinion ..

• @dendy said:

I’ve made have at least a few samples in that I’ve taken from other apps and is probably slightly iffy to share them

why ? you bought apps .. it's same like if you use samples from some HW synth / drum machine :)

of course in case they are not whole loops which are factory presets in other apps ..

No just single hits. I suppose it’s alright as I’m sharing a fixed kit and not just the actual samples separate....hmm. I’m not sure....what do others think on this issue?

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@dendy said:

I’ve made have at least a few samples in that I’ve taken from other apps and is probably slightly iffy to share them

No just single hits. I suppose it’s alright as I’m sharing a fixed kit and not just the actual samples separate....hmm. I’m not sure....what do others think on this issue?

I’ve thought about this, too, and here’s what I’ve come up with:
    If you’re trying to sell individual samples from apps that are sample-based, it’s iffy. For example, selling unprocessed kicks, snares, hats from Funkbox.

However, if you’re including unprocessed samples in a kit for free use, it’s not the same thing.

If your giving away loops, etc. or selling them, it’s also ok. The app is a music production tool. If you have produced music on it, that music is yours to do with as you please.

• @kleptolia said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@dendy said:

If you’re trying to sell individual samples from apps that are sample-based, it’s iffy. For example, selling unprocessed kicks, snares, hats from Funkbox.

However, if you’re including unprocessed samples in a kit for free use, it’s not the same thing.

If your giving away loops, etc. or selling them, it’s also ok. The app is a music production tool. If you have produced music on it, that music is yours to do with as you please.

Yep see the point. Maybe If I add this stipulation for myself:

Making kits using samples from my other apps is fine as long as I:

1. Don’t directly copy a kit made in another app (but mixing and matching samples in the kit is fine).

2. Obviously don’t ask for money or sexual favour for my kits! Lol

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@kleptolia said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@dendy said:

1. Don’t directly copy a kit made in another app (but mixing and matching samples in the kit is fine).

The only time I would be careful is with samples from Native Instruments. They specifically state that their samples are not to be redistributed, even if you own a license.

One of the reasons that I went away from Maschine is that it was far too restrictive. Not only did you have to be tethered to a computer to use it, but even the rules on how you could use the samples were too much.

Just something to watch out for.

• @kleptolia said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@kleptolia said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@dendy said:

The only time I would be careful is with samples from Native Instruments. They specifically state that their samples are not to be redistributed, even if you own a license.

One of the reasons that I went away from Maschine is that it was far too restrictive. Not only did you have to be tethered to a computer to use it, but even the rules on how you could use the samples were too much.

Just something to watch out for.

I’ve been half looking at machine for a while (while half thinking of a computer in my setup again). Didn’t know that! How do professionals use the machine sounds then, because most professionals have to share their output with others to have them edit and master. Maybe it’s just legal stuff to stop someone ripping them off and they don’t use it to disrupt us lowly music dabblers? Anyway, worth knowing :)

• edited December 2018

I don’t know that I would redistribute samples from anything you’ve purchased. Too iffy. There are thousands of free samples online that anyone can access. A kit made from those should be no problem since anyone can access them without paying for them.

Now that I re-read this I guess even that could be iffy...

• @Fruitbat1919 Native instruments sounds are fully authorized to use in the framework of a song or piece of music made by the producer.

It is the individual samples themselves that cannot be distributed. That’s what I understood from the user agreement, anyway.

• Looks guys you have lot to discuss first. So i changed this thread to "Discussion about future "Slate User Kits Megathread"" .. after you all a gree on some rules, let me know and i will create new announcement thread for banks itself ;)

• It's funny. I have zero qualms about sampling a drum machine and sharing the sample but wouldn't copy a wave file from an app and share it. Thing is, I don't think there's actually a distinction, practically speaking (especially if one were to sample digitally). I make no sense.

• @Will said:
    It's funny. I have zero qualms about sampling a drum machine and sharing the sample but wouldn't copy a wave file from an app and share it. Thing is, I don't think there's actually a distinction, practically speaking (especially if one were to sample digitally). I make no sense.

Yeah it’s an odd distinction even when it’s made, because many old drum machines still had the sounds in them digitally as rom - yeah they were highly coloured by other circuitry by the output, but they were essentially still digital waves at the beginning and how many have sampled and shared them!

Not really sure of where we stand, so probably best to air on the side of caution and actually resample the waves. Then there is little they can say surely? (I mean this for single drum samples, not loops or vocal takes etc).

What do you think? Resample and rename? Lol

• This topic got hairy in a hurry...maybe I’ll just stick to uploading Obsidian patches.
    The Slate kit I uploaded in the other thread contained some one shot samples I’ve had on hand since the late 90’s, used them in Little Drummer Boy by Master Zap (Windows95 drum machine). There are also 4 pads with a chopped and heavily altered sample from the background sound fx on the original Star Trek series, not sure it’s recognizable as such. The other samples are factory NS2 sounds which I figured were ok to share (not from an IAP).
    I also like to set my drum samples up differently than the norm, filling the upper rows with hits other than just percussion. Not trying to be a nonconformist, just like to have options in the same kit.

If anyone has downloaded my kit and has a copyright complaint please speak up, I’ll take the link down if it’s an issue. Any feedback is welcome though.

• Big Audio Dynamite would by turning in their graves with all this talk of copyright lol

• edited December 2018

Also worth noting, there are basically only 4 colors since each swatch has an almost identical twin ;)
    When trying to designate a color to a type of hit it gets to slim pickings by the time percussion is added...maybe some more variety in the swatches could be beneficial, or a color wheel if there is no established standard for color coding the sample categories yet.

• @dendy at this rate, we will have set up a 🏴‍☠️ internet sample ripping/sharing site long before the first Slate kit gets shared.

• If all this will not took more that 5 billion years then it is OK. After this sun will explode so it will be late to open Slate kit megathread.

• Time for a coffee break then....

• @kleptolia said:
    @dendy at this rate, we will have set up a 🏴‍☠️ internet sample ripping/sharing site long before the first Slate kit gets shared.

@3sleeves said:

Well, until a Slate Kit Megathread is warranted here’s a solid boom bap kit:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xlc1n43l8z6ymx3/3sleeves_boomBAP.zip?dl=0

It’s got some factory sounds and a few from my personal stash.
    There are essentially 2 basic kits with groups of hats, shakers, and tambourines...and some special sauce in the top 4 pads so you can jam out with just this kit to get a session started.

Hope somebody else finds this kit handy.

Avast, ye mateys!
    I'm drifting twelve miles out on a Somali freighter...come on in, the water is nice.
    @Fruitbat1919 I've got coffee and tea in the galley, the kettle will be whistling soon.

(in case you do download that Slate patch, pads 1 and 5 didn't get zipped but use a factory sound that can be found at Instruments/Slate/Factory/Deep In/Kik deep 3)

• @3sleeves said:

@kleptolia said:
    @dendy at this rate, we will have set up a 🏴‍☠️ internet sample ripping/sharing site long before the first Slate kit gets shared.

@3sleeves said:

Well, until a Slate Kit Megathread is warranted here’s a solid boom bap kit:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xlc1n43l8z6ymx3/3sleeves_boomBAP.zip?dl=0

It’s got some factory sounds and a few from my personal stash.
    There are essentially 2 basic kits with groups of hats, shakers, and tambourines...and some special sauce in the top 4 pads so you can jam out with just this kit to get a session started.

Hope somebody else finds this kit handy.

Avast, ye mateys!
    I'm drifting twelve miles out on a Somali freighter...come on in, the water is nice.
    @Fruitbat1919 I've got coffee and tea in the galley, the kettle will be whistling soon.

(in case you do download that Slate patch, pads 1 and 5 didn't get zipped but use a factory sound that can be found at Instruments/Slate/Factory/Deep In/Kik deep 3)

I see an NS Pirate station is needed lol

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Later when I’ve made more sounds I will post some. The problem I have at this time is that most of the kits I’ve made have at least a few samples in that I’ve taken from other apps and is probably slightly iffy to share them

That’s very nice of ya but I need those sounds now so coffee breaks can only last five minutes ;)

• @Arpseechord said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Later when I’ve made more sounds I will post some. The problem I have at this time is that most of the kits I’ve made have at least a few samples in that I’ve taken from other apps and is probably slightly iffy to share them

That’s very nice of ya but I need those sounds now so coffee breaks can only last five minutes ;)

You swear young Sir - No such thing as a five minute coffee break!

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@Arpseechord said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

I’m lenient you can have as many breaks scattered throughout the day as long as each are only five minutes👍🏻☕️

• @Arpseechord said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Arpseechord said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

I’m lenient you can have as many breaks scattered throughout the day as long as each are only five minutes👍🏻☕️

I thought as pirates we were supposed to do what we want...Ok ten minutes between pillaging!

• edited December 2018

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Arpseechord said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Arpseechord said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

I thought as pirates we were supposed to do what we want...Ok ten minutes between pillaging!

If pillaging entails all I think it does we’ll need more than ten minutes of rest and recuperation between carnage so I’d say demon rum staggered throughout the day is advisable!

• I’ve been finding that I can chop my OP-1 drum kit samples fairly easily in Slate using Hold, Decay, and Offset controls. Simple to copy, paste, adjust, repeat.
    That opens the door for pirating drum presets from OP1.fun ...if it’s booty ye be afterrr.
    All of the Sampler presets on there can be used in Obsidian as well.

• I need that kit. Also how do I import it as a whole vs samples ?

@3sleeves said:
    Also worth noting, there are basically only 4 colors since each swatch has an almost identical twin ;)
    When trying to designate a color to a type of hit it gets to slim pickings by the time percussion is added...maybe some more variety in the swatches could be beneficial, or a color wheel if there is no established standard for color coding the sample categories yet.

• @nkdvkng just hit that link and when the browser opens up press the top right menu, choose export, choose Open In NS2...it imports, you’ll see a little notice at top center of the screen, then it’s in User presets. Otherwise you can drag and drop it using Files.

Just thought about it for a second, think I misunderstood...wasn’t sure if you meant that Slate kit or OP-1 presets.

The OP-1 presets are an AIFF per kit, all in one file. In Slate you can chop the waves almost exactly like the OP-1, you just don’t see the actual waveform in NS2 when using the Hold, Decay, and Offset control knobs in Slate, only the filter shape...easy enough to dial it in by ear though, especially if you map the knobs to a controller.

Hope I answered the right question🤘😄