Feature Request: Song section markers and jump/loop

edited December 2018 in General chat

I know the vision of NS2 isn’t primarily for live use, but it has some definite possibilities. Ultimately a clip launcher like Garage Band or StageLight would be awesome, but I assume that would be way out there as a priority if at all.

What might be a middle ground, and useful for many things would be the ability to create song sections in the timeline. One could jump to a certain marker by touching that section. Double-tap would toggle looping. There should be jump quantize options (finish currently playing section, jump immediately, jump at next measure, etc.). Section jump by Program Change or triggered midi note on a specific channel would be icing on the cake.

This would instantly make NS2 a wonderful live composing and performing tool with very little impact on the current design. Given the existence of the tempo track, one could set up a full live set with ease. This possibility excites me a lot!

Comments

• edited December 2018

would love that too ! Actually this one sits in my head for loong time in my personal top 5 (or probably even top 3) wishlist :) just there was not opportunity to discuss it.c

• Actually the app already has many physical attributes to the UI which would make adding a clip launcher relatively easy to fit in with the concept of the app without need for major graphical changes. I have no idea of any coding issues though - that may be another story entirely :p

• If the sections could be triggered by midi notes on a particular channel, then one could set up a slate instance for an instant one-screen scene launcher!

Oh man, I can see this one so clearly in my mind! Coupled with the tempo track it would be the live-backing track setup I’ve dreamed of for years as a guitar player.

(Not to discount your idea @Fruitbat1919. I saw your other thread and think it would be super cool. I just think this is a less complicated route to get to close to the same thing sooner.)

• @number37 said:
    If the sections could be triggered by midi notes on a particular channel, then one could set up a slate instance for an instant one-screen scene launcher!

Oh man, I can see this one so clearly in my mind! Coupled with the tempo track it would be the live-backing track setup I’ve dreamed of for years as a guitar player.

(Not to discount your idea @Fruitbat1919. I saw your other thread and think it would be super cool. I just think this is a less complicated route to get to close to the same thing sooner.)

If I was a betting man, I would say that at some down the years something like this appears, even if it’s an IAP add on. I bet in realistic terms it’s a fair way off in work terms for one guy (unless certain things are already in place and it’s just one of the things Matt had to put off for a while.

Thing is this apps design paradigm has so much potential and it’s already pretty blooming impressive :)

• Song sections would be grand. In my mind, a song section would be a new meta track and would work just like Tempo and Key Sig changes. You could name them.

For now, what I've occasionally done is create an empty track at the very top. Draw in blank clips and color and name them as needed. Then to work on that "song section", just tap it and double tap ACTIONS to set the loop region.

• @Will said:
    Song sections would be grand. In my mind, a song section would be a new meta track and would work just like Tempo and Key Sig changes. You could name them.

For now, what I've occasionally done is create an empty track at the very top. Draw in blank clips and color and name them as needed. Then to work on that "song section", just tap it and double tap ACTIONS to set the loop region.

That’s brilliant. Very helpful.

• @Will What a great ideal !!

• Good idea @Will I wonder if ANI is on NS2 yet? Her technique of muting tracks as needed would have more potential with your idea.

• @SlapHappy said:
    Good idea @Will I wonder if ANI is on NS2 yet? Her technique of muting tracks as needed would have more potential with your idea.

I wonder the same. I bet she'd also make good use of the quick part muting via ACTIONS double tap.