Nanostudio 2 Songs Megathread

Comments

• @LeeB said:

@nkdvkng said:

My day two beat. All sounds from the Factory and HipHop/Trap Vol.1 sound packs.

Enjoy!!

Tomorrow I’ll post one showcasing the stuff I made with Factory and Acoustics Vol 2 packs only.

Also on my beatstars if we have any rappers or artists on here interested in it.
    http://bsta.rs/b08962

Another nice track there!
    I’m interested in the processing and process of your vocal snippets, I really like that style.
    It’s something I’ve always meant to look more into, but I struggle to get my other half to rock the mike :)
    I may be able to persuade her if I can disguise it with some processing tricks like yours.

Just wondering. Are you referring to my producer tag? The female voice saying “naked Viking”?

• Glad to be on team NS! Thanks for the love

@dendy said:
    @nkdvkng

another good one ! I like what you're doing and how you're doing it ! And supper happy that you're happy with NS :) Keep inspiration flow !

• edited December 2018

@nkdvkng

If i good understand it, that voice is you "tag" which you put to every beat you make, so if then some guy for example downloads your beat and uses it for his performance, it's like you have credit as beat maker ? Like you can point - look, I did that beat !

That's clever if it works this way :) It is common practice in this community or it's your invention ? (sorry if i asking dumb question, i'm from musically very different background :))

• @nkdvkng said:

@LeeB said:

@nkdvkng said:

Enjoy!!

Tomorrow I’ll post one showcasing the stuff I made with Factory and Acoustics Vol 2 packs only.

Also on my beatstars if we have any rappers or artists on here interested in it.

I’m interested in the processing and process of your vocal snippets, I really like that style.
    It’s something I’ve always meant to look more into, but I struggle to get my other half to rock the mike :)
    I may be able to persuade her if I can disguise it with some processing tricks like yours.

Just wondering. Are you referring to my producer tag? The female voice saying “naked Viking”?

Yes.
    I heard some similar vocal snips in your first track, but didn’t put 2 and 2 together to realise it was just your tag.
    Good idea though.

• I used Egoist and Slate. I have had an iPad for around 1.5 years and have not finished a single track (although I've had loads of fun otherwise). I think I will get along nicely with NS2...

• Hey fellas. The tag is pretty common for Trap and hiphop. Even though once the music is digitally online (I also put it on SoundCloud and YouTube aside from my website on Beastars) it’s almost pretty much copywritten to an extent (have to show the original stems in court if it got to that point), the tag is common practice as well. On Beatstars I release a tagged version (and that’s the one I put on SoundCloud and YouTube). If the artist buys the exclusive or premium license then they use a version with only one tag on the intro. A lot of thievery at times.

As far as how I made it. I recorded my wife on a Neumann mic at my old job. Then EQ’d it with a high pass filter a bit. And then added the “Rachel” preset on the Replicant 2 AU on the iPad. Sometimes I’ll add a delay on it for each track so the delay is in sync to the new beat and also to give it that add little bounce on the tail end of the sample.

@dendy said:
    @nkdvkng

If i good understand it, that voice is you "tag" which you put to every beat you make, so if then some guy for example downloads your beat and uses it for his performance, it's like you have credit as beat maker ? Like you can point - look, I did that beat !

That's clever if it works this way :) It is common practice in this community or it's your invention ? (sorry if i asking dumb question, i'm from musically very different background :))

@LeeB said:

@nkdvkng said:

@LeeB said:

@nkdvkng said:

Enjoy!!

Yes.
    I heard some similar vocal snips in your first track, but didn’t put 2 and 2 together to realise it was just your tag.
    Good idea though.

• edited December 2018

@bcrichards :+1: great to hear when NS works like game changer for somebody

@nkdvkng thanks for explanation ;)

• @nkdvkng said:
    Hey fellas. The tag is pretty common for Trap and hiphop. Even though once the music is digitally online (I also put it on SoundCloud and YouTube aside from my website on Beastars) it’s almost pretty much copywritten to an extent (have to show the original stems in court if it got to that point), the tag is common practice as well. On Beatstars I release a tagged version (and that’s the one I put on SoundCloud and YouTube). If the artist buys the exclusive or premium license then they use a version with only one tag on the intro. A lot of thievery at times.

As far as how I made it. I recorded my wife on a Neumann mic at my old job. Then EQ’d it with a high pass filter a bit. And then added the “Rachel” preset on the Replicant 2 AU on the iPad. Sometimes I’ll add a delay on it for each track so the delay is in sync to the new beat and also to give it that add little bounce on the tail end of the sample.

@dendy said:
    @nkdvkng

@LeeB said:

@nkdvkng said:

@LeeB said:

@nkdvkng said:

Enjoy!!

Yes.
    Good idea though.

Thanks mate

I have Replicant, but I’ll be honest and say that I haven’t used it yet, bar the initial test.
    I’ll give it another look.

• @bcrichards said:

I used Egoist and Slate. I have had an iPad for around 1.5 years and have not finished a single track (although I've had loads of fun otherwise). I think I will get along nicely with NS2...

Holy tits dude love the vibes! I was free styling to it and all. I was imagining Mac Miller on it

• Anytime ;)

@dendy said:
    @bcrichards :+1: great to hear when NS works like game changer for somebody

@nkdvkng thanks for explanation ;)

• edited December 2018

It’s definitely experimental in use. I’ve used it on certain bell loops in order to make it do this weird glitch scratch type sound similar to the sample in Lil Skies “Welcome to the Rodeo” (I’ll link the making of video which gets into the filter freak 2 effect used on the sample ).

EDIT:

Replicant 2 is pretty cool when I have called upon it though no lie

@LeeB said:

@nkdvkng said:
    Hey fellas. The tag is pretty common for Trap and hiphop. Even though once the music is digitally online (I also put it on SoundCloud and YouTube aside from my website on Beastars) it’s almost pretty much copywritten to an extent (have to show the original stems in court if it got to that point), the tag is common practice as well. On Beatstars I release a tagged version (and that’s the one I put on SoundCloud and YouTube). If the artist buys the exclusive or premium license then they use a version with only one tag on the intro. A lot of thievery at times.

@dendy said:
    @nkdvkng

@LeeB said:

@nkdvkng said:

@LeeB said:

@nkdvkng said:

Enjoy!!

Yes.
    Good idea though.

Thanks mate

I have Replicant, but I’ll be honest and say that I haven’t used it yet, bar the initial test.
    I’ll give it another look.

• @nkdvkng Thanks for the link. Interesting vid. Sellin’ beats seems like a crazy world, but you guys do come up with some amazing ideas.

• Thanks for the link @nkdvkng

• I tried to make some techno. Got the mix better, this time.

• edited December 2018

@kleptolia very nice tume !! I'm very suprised
    how you used disgeridoo patch, never thought somebody will use it this way :+1:

• @dendy said:
    @kleptolia very nice tume !! I'm very suprised
    how you used disgeridoo patch, never thought somebody will use it this way :+1:

Thanks! Yeah, there is something about that patch that makes it very interesting as a rhythmic accent. The Dubstep Crush patch, as well.
    I’d like to thank Bill Interactive for the bit crushed kit. Casio sound always makes me smile.
    What’s really crazy is that I worked on this track for a total of about 2.5 hours. The sequencer flow in NS2 is beyond fast. It’s a music production wormhole.

• I've enjoyed listening to all these so far.

• @nkdvkng said:

@dendy said:
    @nkdvkng

@LeeB said:

@nkdvkng said:

@LeeB said:

@nkdvkng said:

Enjoy!!

Yes.
    Good idea though.

Here’s another way to tag songs that I got from Alexander Zolotov’s app, Virtual Ans:

Take a jpeg, turn it into a .wav file using an application like Virtual Ans, then put the .wav file in your song in a few places. Most people won’t even realize it’s there, but when you run the song back through a spectrographic synth app, you will see your picture. Tag, it’s yours. 🙂

• @kleptolia said:

@nkdvkng said:

@dendy said:
    @nkdvkng

@LeeB said:

@nkdvkng said:

@LeeB said:

@nkdvkng said:

Enjoy!!

Yes.
    Good idea though.

Here’s another way to tag songs that I got from Alexander Zolotov’s app, Virtual Ans:

Take a jpeg, turn it into a .wav file using an application like Virtual Ans, then put the .wav file in your song in a few places. Most people won’t even realize it’s there, but when you run the song back through a spectrographic synth app, you will see your picture. Tag, it’s yours. 🙂

OK.... that's flippin' BRILLIANT!!!!!! Love it.

• edited December 2018

guy who did soundtrack for Doom did with this method nice ester egg in this soumdtrack :-)) He added "666" number and pentageams to spectrogram :-))

btw here is complete video with that guy, he exposes some very interesring souns design trick he used during making that soundtrack
    It's long but worth to watch.

• This one got away on me and is now so complex that it is in control, not I....

Therefore I am declaring it feral and have released it into the wild, where it hopefully will not breed... :#

• That's funny! But it is also cool when a track seems to just take control on its own. Was it easy enough to create using NS2? Did you consider getting it neutered before release? :);)

• I was wondering the same thing @SlapHappy !! 😅😅

• Nice to see the tracks coming out so quickly! Keep up the good work guys.

• @SlapHappy said:
    That's funny! But it is also cool when a track seems to just take control on its own. Was it easy enough to create using NS2? Did you consider getting it neutered before release? :);)

It was pretty easy, apart from the getting lost part, thanks :)

I didn't think of neutering it before release... :p

It does capture most of what I wanted to create - feeling of tech (polyrhythms and gritty percussion saturated with reverb, darkness (C minor, rough bass, that cool didgeridoo), but it's certainly not minimal.

It started as an experiment in structure, then in polyrhythms (which are easy if you use track lanes with odd-length parts). Think I overdid the polyrhythms and percussion in general.... I think editing is the most difficult skill of all, except maybe really good mastering.

Structuring was easy, but it ended up with too many tracks and effects etc to be clean, so fixing up issues got a bit difficult. But in the end it wasn't really inspiring me to go further, I really only posted it to help people see what could be done. It took a total of about 4-5 hours, more than half of which was trying to fix up my mistakes! (Mixing and mastering became difficult, and the temptation to "just add more" was taking hold.... that would have just made it worse:))

Using groups and track lanes really help. In future I need to use more sends for effects, probably... but just putting the effects on groups and main mix (and not much if at all on the instrument tracks) works in most cases.

By the way, I created a template so that I could start with a structure. I'd recommend it to anyone trying to create some form of standardised track (this one I was trying to build so that a DJ could use it, hence the predictable breaks, and also an additional sort of redundant section at the end in case they haven't lined up the next track) but I have mixed it down without the lead in and lead out 4/4 kick.

I based the template structure on this: tkemusicclass.blogspot.com/2012/10/basic-housetechno-music-structure-by.htmlhttp://

The template has a "No instrument" track at the top with empty parts which are:
    1. named, e.g. "intro", and
    2. colour coded to make it easy to see what I should be trying to do....
    3. a group each for kicks, drums, bass, lead, pads and noises

Once I've improved the template I'll post it somewhere, maybe in the patches thread? Is there a separate thread for templates?

And maybe in future I'll revisit it with new ears!

• Another one I've created as an experiment in recording audio. The vocal and the electric guitar were recorded as samples, then manually chopped and placed within the track using a Slate kit. Possible, but fiddly.... Probably would have been easier in hindsight to try to record each audio in a single take.

That little bit of audio took as long to create as the rest of the track... Looking forward to being able to record audio directly into tracks at some point in future.

Anyway, enjoy :)

Love that bass - it's BassGRoughPick, and it's from the free launch IAP pack. Get it!

The background noise is an attempt at a noise patch using Obsidian; needs work but it's a start.

• Hmm... my first mastering of this was too quiet, so I tried using the normalise function (first time) when I mised down. It may be slightly too loud for Soundcloud, since when played from Soundcloud the volume is slightly higher (which is OK) but the higher frequencies are a bit harsh as a result.

I think for Soundcloud I might go back to being less lazy and use the master mix faders to control the mix volume, especially for something like this which should be at least a little smoooooooth B)

• This isn’t the acoustic pack one I promised. This one is all trap pack volume one. And factory.

• @Trigger_the_Monkey said:
    Hmm... my first mastering of this was too quiet, so I tried using the normalise function (first time) when I mised down. It may be slightly too loud for Soundcloud, since when played from Soundcloud the volume is slightly higher (which is OK) but the higher frequencies are a bit harsh as a result.

I think for Soundcloud I might go back to being less lazy and use the master mix faders to control the mix volume, especially for something like this which should be at least a little smoooooooth B)

Had another listen and it might just be a mixing problem and a learning experience :)

• edited December 2018

@nkdvkng said:
    This isn’t the acoustic pack one I promised. This one is all trap pack volume one. And factory.

O man this is sooo good ! Very fat juicy sound. Every one track you post here is better than previous one, looking forward to your next tune :)

@Trigger_the_Monkey said:
    Another one I've created as an experiment in recording audio. The vocal and the electric guitar were recorded as samples, then manually chopped and placed within the track using a Slate kit. Possible, but fiddly.... Probably would have been easier in hindsight to try to record each audio in a single take.

Also good one. Nice to hear also some real instruments in action ! Yeah Slate workaround replacement for audio track have some disadvantages but.. time goes fast. We will made few more songs and then suddenly update with audio tracks will be here :)

This discussion has been closed.