How to add FX to the master track?

edited December 2018 in General chat

I know I'm going to come off as a complete dullard here, lol, but is there a way to add effects to the master track? I searched the entire manual looking for this, and maybe I missed something.

Comments

• edited December 2018

I do not believe so, but what you can do is group all of your other channels under a “Main Out” group and add your effects there...like a Master Subgroup, if you will.

• @drez said:
    I do not believe so, but what you can do is group all of your other channels under a “Main Out” group and add your effects there...like a Master Subgroup, if you will.

Ah, that's sort of what I was afraid of, but I just read in the manual about dragging and dropping tracks to make them "children" tracks, i.e. all routed to the main master track. That's bloody brilliant on Matt's part! Okay, thanks mate. :) Cheers.

• Haha, that’s exactly what I meant. I guess I just didn’t explain it well enough! Glad you found it!

• @jwmmakerofmusic if you are starting with a blank project with no channels/instruments. Once you’ve added your first instrument, long press the +button in the bottom left hand corner of the song view and select ‘group the selected track’. Once you’ve done that you will see a main mix channel appear above your added instrument. From now on, every instrument you add will be added to the main mix group. Treat that as your master track :)

• I think master fx should definitely be added. It’s a very weird ommision.

• I don’t believe that the slider on the right is meant to be used as the master in the recording mixer sense, because it lacks the controls of the others. I think because of the groupings it just makes more sense to have the highest group in the food chain be the master.

My reasoning is that we sometimes use iOS devices in non studio like environments. Maybe your doing something and you simply want to turn down the volume to answer your other half or keep from annoying the neighbours because you know they are on nights and their bedroom is next door to the room you are recording in. Yep non ideal environments - after many of us are just hobbyists. Believe it or not, many peeps will write much of the basics of a track using the built in speakers, only later on to get to some nice headphones or monitors - many studio heads would cringe at the ways of hobby guys write music at times lol

In the above description, a simple ‘volume’ nob onscreen makes sense that is not really part of the mixer, just there to be useful because the iPads own volume control is often not as accessible.

It’s easy to use make any sort of groupings on NS2 and in the main out group, you can have what features you want - be it main mix fx or a complex set up for multi channel surround sound mixing later on.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    I don’t believe that the slider on the right is meant to be used as the master in the recording mixer sense, because it lacks the controls of the others. I think because of the groupings it just makes more sense to have the highest group in the food chain be the master.

My reasoning is that we sometimes use iOS devices in non studio like environments. Maybe your doing something and you simply want to turn down the volume to answer your other half or keep from annoying the neighbours because you know they are on nights and their bedroom is next door to the room you are recording in. Yep non ideal environments - after many of us are just hobbyists. Believe it or not, many peeps will write much of the basics of a track using the built in speakers, only later on to get to some nice headphones or monitors - many studio heads would cringe at the ways of hobby guys write music at times lol

In the above description, a simple ‘volume’ nob onscreen makes sense that is not really part of the mixer, just there to be useful because the iPads own volume control is often not as accessible.

It’s easy to use make any sort of groupings on NS2 and in the main out group, you can have what features you want - be it main mix fx or a complex set up for multi channel surround sound mixing later on.

Been on the kool aid again dude? ;) Any volume knob placed anywhere at the end of ‘all tracks’ routing will have the same effect if using it to control the full mix volume? No need for ‘master group’ > ‘master bus’ just to get access to ‘one knob’ master volume? Same result as just using a regular master bus and turning it down? But it’s early and I maybe not understanding the benefits you mention ;)

• edited December 2018

@flockz said:
    I think master fx should definitely be added. It’s a very weird ommision.

That thing on right side actually is NOT "master channel". It's HARDWARE OUTPUT channel. That's why on bottom label is text "OUT" and not "MASTER".

Such things is common in lot DAWs on desktop (Cubase, Logic, etc) and there are never FX slots on that output chanel.If multi output soundcard is connect to ipad, that OUT chanels displays VU meters for all physical soundcard outputs. It's just for monitoring of hardware output. That's purpuse of that channel - you can use it for checking if HW out is not clipping.

In NS you create MASTER CHANNEL by simply folding all other chanels under single one which is then routed to HARDWARE OUTPUT channel.

Hope i cleared your confusion :-)

• @dendy said:

@flockz said:
    I think master fx should definitely be added. It’s a very weird ommision.

That thing on right side actually is NOT "master channel". It's HARDWARE OUTPUT channel. That's why on bottom label is text "OUT" and not "MASTER".

Such things is common in lot DAWs on desktop (Cubase, Logic, etc) and there are never FX slots on that output chanel.If multi output soundcard is connect to ipad, that OUT chanels displays VU meters for all physical soundcard outputs. It's just for monitoring of hardware output. That's purpuse of that channel - you can use it for checking if HW out is not clipping.

In NS you create MASTER CHANNEL by simply folding all other chanels under single one which is then routed to HARDWARE OUTPUT channel.

Hope i cleared your confusion :-)

Ah! I’ve mostly been working in making patches in obsidian. Barely touched the sequencer yet :( So you can have groups within groups then? all good :)

• I like this. It takes understanding the concept behind it, but once you do, it makes perfect sense. My master channel sets the level that I want the final mix to be at. The main output level may need to be varied for a number of reasons (monitoring on speakers vs. headphones for instance. Also, if I get sloppy and apply automation on my master volume, I definitely need a way to mess with output level. It will also be helpful when playing along with other apps where simply adjusting the device volume isn’t enough.

Thanks for explaining!

• @flockz said:
    Ah! I’ve mostly been working in making patches in obsidian. Barely touched the sequencer yet :( So you can have groups within groups then? all good :)

To the (almost) infinite level :-) Groups of groups of groups ... Just in some moment of course some elements of UI starts looking weird :)

• @flockz said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    I don’t believe that the slider on the right is meant to be used as the master in the recording mixer sense, because it lacks the controls of the others. I think because of the groupings it just makes more sense to have the highest group in the food chain be the master.

Been on the kool aid again dude? ;) Any volume knob placed anywhere at the end of ‘all tracks’ routing will have the same effect if using it to control the full mix volume? No need for ‘master group’ > ‘master bus’ just to get access to ‘one knob’ master volume? Same result as just using a regular master bus and turning it down? But it’s early and I maybe not understanding the benefits you mention ;)

What is kook aid anyway....is it an American thing? Lol

Maybe I just wrote it wrong as it’s early....sure someone will come to our aid here! ;)

• edited December 2018

@number37 said:
    I like this. It takes understanding the concept behind it, but once you do, it makes perfect sense. My master channel sets the level that I want the final mix to be at. The main output level may need to be varied for a number of reasons (monitoring on speakers vs. headphones for instance. Also, if I get sloppy and apply automation on my master volume, I definitely need a way to mess with output level. It will also be helpful when playing along with other apps where simply adjusting the device volume isn’t enough.

Thanks for explaining!

You're welcome. Actually Matt had hard time with me because i was at beginning fighting against this concept, i was still repeating that there should be "real" master channel with FX's

But thanks to his endless patience he explained this things again and again until my dumb head starts accept it, and and the end even like it :-D

• @dendy said:

@number37 said:
    I like this. It takes understanding the concept behind it, but once you do, it makes perfect sense. My master channel sets the level that I want the final mix to be at. The main output level may need to be varied for a number of reasons (monitoring on speakers vs. headphones for instance. Also, if I get sloppy and apply automation on my master volume, I definitely need a way to mess with output level. It will also be helpful when playing along with other apps where simply adjusting the device volume isn’t enough.

Thanks for explaining!

You're welcome. Actually Matt had hard time with me because i was at beginning fighting against this concept, i was still repeating that there should be "real" master channel with FX's

But thanks to his endless patience he explained this things again and again until my dumb head starts accept, and and the end even like it :-D

Yep it made perfect sense to me straight away, although I didn’t explain it to @flockz very well :p

• I would say that the layout of the mixer and groupings is definitely one of NS2 finest accomplishments :)

• edited December 2018

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Maybe I just wrote it wrong as it’s early....sure someone will come to our aid here! ;)

Kool Aid was (is?) an instant sweet drink powder we used to have in the US many years ago. At one point it was mixed with drugs and used by members of a cult en-mass to commit suicide. It has become an unfortunate way of saying one has become brainwashed as if they are in a cult. People usually mean it to be funny (in a snide way), but really isn’t funny when you remember the horror of the reality behind it. Google Jamestown Massacre if you want to become depressed over something no-doubt meant lightly.

Sorry for the downer. :/

• @number37 said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Kool Aid was (is?) an instant sweet drink powder we used to have in the US many years ago. At one point it was mixed with drugs and used by members of a cult en-mass to commit suicide. It has become an unfortunate way of saying one has become brainwashed as if they are in a cult. People usually mean it to be funny (in a snide way), but really isn’t funny when you remember the horror of the reality behind it. Google Jamestown Massacre if you want to become depressed over something no-doubt meant lightly.

Sorry for the downer. :/

Thanks for that :)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@flockz said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Just dumb way of saying ‘are you tripping?’ ;) Personally I don’t use it with any snide sewn in :) I relate it more to the Tom Wolfe book ‘the electric kool aid acid test’ about Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters on the bus, dishing out acid mixed with Kool Aid...good times ;)