Can't automate AUfx, and automating AUi is cumbersome

13»

Comments

• @dendy said:

@Audiogus said:
    At the risk of sounding like I am 'bickering' about the 'bickering... I just don't see 'bickering'. I see the same sorts of multifaceted discussions that happen at work (app development) that result in actual progress.

You work as app developer ?

I do graphics in video games for about 25 years, the past seven in mobile. So I hang out with coders and designer folks etc all day... then I come home to forums where I talk about apps... then go on github and log bugs for apps... help me... ...

• @flockz said:
    Imagine Matt reading this thread. Imagine we now discuss whether my use of the word ‘bickering’ was totally accurate. Inagine people replying with their opinion on that. Imagine Matt stopping reading the thread...

Haha, I know! That is what I was saying too! But dude, it ain't conflict of a destructive nature. This is how the stuff gets done!

• @Audiogus said:
    I do graphics in video games for about 25 years, the past seven in mobile. So I hang out with coders and designer folks etc all day... then I come home to forums where I talk about apps... then go on github and log bugs for apps... help me... ...

It's your destiny, you can run but you cannot hide !!

Btw. i'm coder too !! I will eat you alive boooooo booooo

• @flockz said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    I’ve not read the whole thread.

I’ve got used to having to set up the Macros now. Going through a process of setting up my most used AU instrument parameters to macros and then just adjust the odd one in individual circumstances. I can live with that.

Would love to see the AU fx parameters have a row of macros too though and a memory of this set up for each individual fx or rack of fx

Yeah I can live with that too, until I run out of macros and have to choose which other lane/s to sacrifice :( I don’t think anyone is saying what’s there doesn’t work, just that it could be much better. I can’t think of any other daw that has these type of limitations and extra workflow steps... I think the basic question is -

Do people ideally want unlimited AU & AUfx parameter automation to be available? And with macros automatically setting themselves up during any automation interaction with the AU GUI. Instead of having to manually set up each macro....

It’s a simple yes/no really but instead lots of bickering :(

As I said, didn’t read the rest of the opinions here, just stated my own.

What question do you desire a yes or no answer to? If it’s ‘do you really want unlimited AU & AU fx automation’ then no - I simply don’t need that. So the question isn’t really that simple is it, because I would like some AUfx automation, even if it uses a similar macros nob system. After that there are multiple questions on what I would choose as their is simply many options here and some will help some and some won’t.

So, I just don’t see it in the simplistic terms of it’s all AU automation - yes or no.

I can see why people are not happy with the current setup. I can also see it’s doubtful that a full switch to scrapping the macros might have some issues. I say might because I’m not a programmer. I just hope that in some way we could at least get a form of AU fx automation, even if it’s a compromise.

• @dendy said:

@Audiogus said:

It's your destiny, you can run but you cannot hide !!

Btw. i'm coder too !! I will eat you alive boooooo booooo

Woah cool, I could swore you were a pirate at the helm of the good ship 'Green Fairy', Yaaarr!

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@flockz said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    I’ve not read the whole thread.

I’ve got used to having to set up the Macros now. Going through a process of setting up my most used AU instrument parameters to macros and then just adjust the odd one in individual circumstances. I can live with that.

Would love to see the AU fx parameters have a row of macros too though and a memory of this set up for each individual fx or rack of fx

Yeah I can live with that too, until I run out of macros and have to choose which other lane/s to sacrifice :( I don’t think anyone is saying what’s there doesn’t work, just that it could be much better. I can’t think of any other daw that has these type of limitations and extra workflow steps... I think the basic question is -

Do people ideally want unlimited AU & AUfx parameter automation to be available? And with macros automatically setting themselves up during any automation interaction with the AU GUI. Instead of having to manually set up each macro....

It’s a simple yes/no really but instead lots of bickering :(

As I said, didn’t read the rest of the opinions here, just stated my own.

What question do you desire a yes or no answer to? If it’s ‘do you really want unlimited AU & AU fx automation’ then no - I simply don’t need that. So the question isn’t really that simple is it, because I would like some AUfx automation, even if it uses a similar macros nob system. After that there are multiple questions on what I would choose as their is simply many options here and some will help some and some won’t.

So, I just don’t see it in the simplistic terms of it’s all AU automation - yes or no.

I can see why people are not happy with the current setup. I can also see it’s doubtful that a full switch to scrapping the macros might have some issues. I say might because I’m not a programmer. I just hope that in some way we could at least get a form of AU fx automation, even if it’s a compromise.

I don’t personally desire yes/no answer to any question :) Was thinking more for Matt’s sake ;) I’ve covered my feelings on it from a bunch of angles now and lost all enthusiasm to pursue it any further. Hopefully au/aufx automation matures but only time will tell.

• @flockz said:

@Audiogus said:

@flockz said:
    I wonder how old are the people in here and what are their genres and their other daw experiences to compare ns2 to? I don’t mean that in any kind of ‘one way is right and one way is wrong’ kind of way. I’m genuinely curious as I’m beginning to wonder if these kinds of clashes are in part down to a generational thing maybe and it’s just a case of two camps being totally out of touch with each other? First time I’ve heard people ‘asking’ for limited automation on any music production forum!

Who was asking for limited automation? If it was me, please quote me.

Erm...The posts directly before mine and implied or approved in many other posts in the thread. I didn’t tag you personally..

( I think you posted again while I was posting.... I wasn’t referring to your post ;)

If Matt can integrate AUfx automation without sacrificing CPU use or stability, I’m all for it. But if there’s a chance that it will have a negative impact on those things, I don’t want it. If it will add a bunch of menus that I have to swipe past, no thank you. I own a bunch of 3rd pray AUs. Haven’t used them in NS2 yet, and haven’t needed to.

As for macro/automation control, I really want to hear some of your music, just to know what all of that automation is doing.

Also, I’m 40, since you were curious about ages. Only got into synth/electronic music in the past 10 years. I remember the late 90s, when Moby got big. I’ve seen it evolve, but I’m a guitar player, too.

Amon Tobin/Two Fingers and Kid Koala are the people who made me interested in dance/electronic stuff (though Kid Koala is vinyl; still counts). I listen to Tyler McFerrin, Thundercat, Portishead, Massive Attack, lots of stuff like that.

Mutant funk, trip-hop, lofi vinyl/tape sampled sounds. That kind of thing.

• @kleptolia said:

@flockz said:

@Audiogus said:

@flockz said:
    I wonder how old are the people in here and what are their genres and their other daw experiences to compare ns2 to? I don’t mean that in any kind of ‘one way is right and one way is wrong’ kind of way. I’m genuinely curious as I’m beginning to wonder if these kinds of clashes are in part down to a generational thing maybe and it’s just a case of two camps being totally out of touch with each other? First time I’ve heard people ‘asking’ for limited automation on any music production forum!

Erm...The posts directly before mine and implied or approved in many other posts in the thread. I didn’t tag you personally..

( I think you posted again while I was posting.... I wasn’t referring to your post ;)

If Matt can integrate AUfx automation without sacrificing CPU use or stability, I’m all for it. But if there’s a chance that it will have a negative impact on those things, I don’t want it. If it will add a bunch of menus that I have to swipe past, no thank you. I own a bunch of 3rd pray AUs. Haven’t used them in NS2 yet, and haven’t needed to.

As for macro/automation control, I really want to hear some of your music, just to know what all of that automation is doing.

Also, I’m 40, since you were curious about ages. Only got into synth/electronic music in the past 10 years. I remember the late 90s, when Moby got big. I’ve seen it evolve, but I’m a guitar player, too.

Amon Tobin/Two Fingers and Kid Koala are the people who made me interested in dance/electronic stuff (though Kid Koala is vinyl; still counts). I listen to Tyler McFerrin, Thundercat, Portishead, Massive Attack, lots of stuff like that.

Obviously the more automation happening then the heavier on cpu ;) But if someone only wants 10 lanes and play it safe, on older iPads or whatever, then simply limit themselves to 10 lanes... easy and everybody's happy :)

Some good artists you mentioned :) Not a lot of heavily modulated stuff in there though so I can see how we’d naturally be on flip sides in a lot of these kind of conversations:) This kind of stuff is super subjective! And even just one person might be working totally differently themselves from one month to the next or day to day, hour to hour... like I’m not in to ‘just modulate EVERYTHING!!!’ Depends what kinda track I’m making or what instrument. But often experimenting in those areas is where the gold’s hidden...

• @flockz said:

@kleptolia said:

@flockz said:

@Audiogus said:

@flockz said:

Obviously the more automation happening then the heavier on cpu ;) But if someone only wants 10 lanes and play it safe, on older iPads or whatever, then simply limit themselves to 10 lanes... easy and everybody's happy :)

Dayum brah, you got mad app dezign skillz!

• edited December 2018

@Audiogus said:

@flockz said:

@kleptolia said:

@flockz said:

@Audiogus said:

@flockz said:

Haha :) It’s pretty simple though right? In other daws there’s no difference in workflow between having 1 automation lane, 10 automation lanes, 20 automation lanes....they just get automatically added as needed.

• @flockz said:

@Audiogus said:

@flockz said:

@kleptolia said:

@flockz said:

@Audiogus said:

@flockz said:

Haha :) It’s pretty simple though right? In other daws there’s no difference in workflow between having 1 automation lane, 10 automation lanes, 20 automation lanes....they just get added as needed.

Totaly and just let proper memory allocation take care of itself too.

• @Audiogus said:

@flockz said:

@Audiogus said:

@flockz said:

@kleptolia said:

@flockz said:

@Audiogus said:

@flockz said:

Haha :) It’s pretty simple though right? In other daws there’s no difference in workflow between having 1 automation lane, 10 automation lanes, 20 automation lanes....they just get added as needed.

Dev speak....No idea what that means ;)

• edited December 2018

@Audiogus said:

@flockz said:

@Audiogus said:

@flockz said:

@kleptolia said:

@flockz said:

@Audiogus said:

@flockz said:

I meant the concept is easy. Its basically a daw standard. Not sure why some people are treating it like the basic concept needs brain storming or acting like ‘yes.....but can this actually be done!?!? Within this reality?!?! We must be careful with ideas as revolutionary as these!?!’.. plenty of places to look and see it already in action ;) Ns2 should be able to perform up to those same levels in theory right? Or are we admitting defeat so easy ;) No ones expecting these things to get added instantly btw.

• @flockz said:

@Audiogus said:

@flockz said:

@Audiogus said:

@flockz said:

@kleptolia said:

@flockz said:

@Audiogus said:

@flockz said:

Dev speak....No idea what that means ;)

I fully endorse the blue pill.

• @flockz said:

@Audiogus said:

@flockz said:

@Audiogus said:

@flockz said:

@kleptolia said:

@flockz said:

@Audiogus said:

@flockz said:

I meant the concept is easy. Its basically a daw standard. Not sure why some people are treating it like the basic concept needs brain storming or acting like ‘yes.....but can this actually be done!?!? Within this reality?!?! We must be careful with ideas as revolutionary as these!?!’.. plenty of places to look and see it already in action ;) Ns2 should be able to perform up to those same levels in theory right? Or are we admitting defeat so easy ;) No ones expecting these things to get added instantly btw.

Patiently waiting for Logic Pro iOS.

• @kleptolia said:

Patiently waiting for Logic Pro iOS.

I ain't ever going to happen. Ever! Apple will never put iOS in front of MacOS. What you're hoping for already exists. It's called Garageband. And of course Garageband will export into Logic. Otherwise where is the incentive to buy Macs?

• edited December 2018

@tom_tm said:
    Otherwise where is the incentive to buy Macs?

They look more hip at Starbucks.

• edited December 2018

Stupid comment wa in the wrong spot. Deleted for preservation of the culture!
    @dendy

• @kleptolia probably wrong thread :)

• edited December 2018

@Audiogus said:
    I really do imagine it is a balancing act between performance/stability and flexibility. I am all for opening up the AU parameter gates provided it does not a) introduce performance/stability issues b) delay the precious audio tracks from being released

It is all about this. In this case, particularly B imo.

@flockz seems like you're trying to reduce the question to:

"Is implementing additional AU parameter destinations desirable?"

Features aren't implemented in a vacuum and there is only one developer so something has to give. The question is:

"Is implementing additional AU parameters destinations more desirable than implementing [insert any number of other feature requests here]."

This is a solid NO for me. 10 is generally plenty and there are other things I'd rather see added to the app. I get that it might be a solid YES for you. That's cool.

• edited December 2018

@Will said:

@Audiogus said:
    I really do imagine it is a balancing act between performance/stability and flexibility. I am all for opening up the AU parameter gates provided it does not a) introduce performance/stability issues b) delay the precious audio tracks from being released

It is all about this. In this case, particularly B imo.

@flockz seems like you're trying to reduce the question to:

"Is implementing additional AU parameter destinations desirable?"

Features aren't implemented in a vacuum and there is only one developer so something has to give. The question is:

"Is implementing additional AU parameters destinations more desirable than implementing [insert any number of other feature requests here]."

This is a solid NO for me. 10 is generally plenty and there are other things I'd rather see added to the app. I get that it might be a solid YES for you. That's cool.

Yeah of course each to their own :) I was never suggesting anything other than it’s a very strange implementation and limitation. There’s plenty of other stuff I’d like to see too before ‘more than 10 automation lanes’. Any aufx automation at all being one of them... audio clips, timestrech, warp markers, resampling/bounce options, IAA and so on. It’s very early days here and a long road ahead..

Seems ns2 is heavily focused toward stability. Not a bad thing at all on iOS. Just means for me it’ll never be able to be my ‘only iOS daw’. But not sure any of them ever will at this rate ;)