Match this sound in Obsidian (a bit of fun)

2»

Comments

• Thanks to @rec for even getting us in the ballpark to begin with - saved us lazy guys some work there dude!

• edited December 2018

Thing is, most probably if you now open Synthmaster Pro, and there will be NO that path which you initially used (that jan hammer whatever) - if you would start from init patch, then you would not get same sound, just more or less close :)

Obiously you don't make same sound twice from scratch even on same synth, if that sound is complex enough.

Anyway, it was nice challange :)@rec is winner. we just finetuned / polished his work :)

• @dendy said:
    Thing is, most probably if you now open Synthmaster Pro, and there will be NO that path which you initially used (that jan hammer whatever) - if you would start from init patch, then you would not get same sound, just more or less close :)

Obiously you don't make same sound twice from scratch even on same synth, if that sound is complex enough.

Anyway, it was nice challange :)@rec is winner. we just finetuned / polished his work :)

That’s the thing though, I went through about five iterations before I almost stumbled on the original sound. Emulating it again, has been the same for me, we get soooo close, but never spot on the mark.

It was simple with my first ever synth as it came with templates that you put over the knobs and drew on where the knob position should be! O the days lol....imagine mid set, throwing on a template and frantically twiddling knobs to set a sound.

That’s why I have great admiration for those pioneers with their slipping out of tune, no memory setting, weighing a ton analog beasts of yore - and we moan at the odd missing feature on our DAWs ;)

• Yes @rec is the winner :)

• 🥇
    Yay! Glad you guys liked it or found it useful.
    Sometimes it's hard to recreate the mood of these layered type sounds where those additional harmonics can be generated at various stages.
    Anyway I'm happy with the second iteration, definitely a keeper for me.

• @rec said:
    🥇
    Yay! Glad you guys liked it or found it useful.
    Sometimes it's hard to recreate the mood of these layered type sounds where those additional harmonics can be generated at various stages.
    Anyway I'm happy with the second iteration, definitely a keeper for me.

Yeah agree that these types of sounds are difficult to capture again. It’s easy enough to get in the ballpark, but even the switch of a wavetable can make a considerable difference, that’s difficult to pin down the harmonics when trying to copy exactly.

The great thing is we find many other happy accidents along the way :)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/y585nh1odek9dn9/(FB1919) Dirty Piano V2 + 1 more.zip?dl=0

I’ve done the same as @dendy and messed with @rec starting sound.

My first effort gets the starting sound a tad closer I believe,

My second effort adds towards the velocity control of the distortion and I’ve added another layer to try to beef up the sound. Problem is I’ve lost the delicate first sound from the lower velocities.

I seem to be able to go one step forward and two steps back at times lol

If you have the beginning in one and the ending in another, can’t you use two obsidians and use envelopes to fade between them? 😀