Nanostudio 2 Songs Megathread

Comments

• edited December 2018

@Trigger_the_Monkey said:
    Latest track, started as an experiment taking audio from NS2 and mangling it in Sector (the result is the rhythm track) - workflow is excellent after a little practice, so I'll be doing more of that in future :)

That sounded like a geiger counter, so the track then turned into a pensive soundtrack to a hospital radiology visit.... Technetium-99m is injected and allows a gamma camera to video bloodflow through your body and your organs in amazing detail. But sadly you don't get to glow in the dark...

:+1:
    Really like if there is some story behind track name, and when some sound elements of track makes sense in relation to this name / story. Good work !

• @kleptolia said:
    Another one I did this morning.

This is crazy! Love the sound design and creativity you achieved here. So clean and radio like, it doesn’t feel cookie cutter like and it’s well thought out. Did you make this with only obsidian and slate stuff?

• edited December 2018

@nkdvkng said:

@kleptolia said:
    Another one I did this morning.

This is crazy! Love the sound design and creativity you achieved here. So clean and radio like, it doesn’t feel cookie cutter like and it’s well thought out. Did you make this with only obsidian and slate stuff?

Thanks. It’s only 2 Slates and 3 Obsidian. Once I figured out how much modulation can be achieved with the LFO’s and the filters, I started having WAY too much fun with Obsidian. Also, it helped that I found where the Slate FX busses are located. I don’t think I need per pad effects. 4 busses suits me fine.

The samples are from a track that I remixed for a Metapop contest. The song is my entry.

My next thing is going to be done with a drum kit I have made out of a bunch of samples I took from my Korg Monotrons, when I had them, and some I made in synth apps on my phone, as well as some homemade samples.

I didn’t realize how the layering worked, and now that I do, I’m stacking some sounds. Not even touching the velocity zones, yet.

This app is actually a rabbit hole of depth, and it’s not even fully finished!

PS: the spectral looping in Obsidian is a gem. Experiment with it and you’ll really see it start to shine!

• edited December 2018

I don’t think I need per pad effects. 4 busses suits me fine.

:+1:

This app is actually a rabbit hole of depth, and it’s not even fully finished!

:+1::+1::+1:

• edited December 2018

I don’t have a song ready yet because I’m a bit like Matt. I want it to be juuuuuuuust right before I put it out there...Normally. I’ve got a few public crap stuff out on my soundcloud, but I’m working methodically through my first NS2 song and learning the ropes through out the process. I can say it’s been very nice working in a timeline again. When I hop on ableton or BM3, I normally just start making clips and then...that’s it. Linear writing is helping me to actually complete something instead of just a shed load of clips. Not to say I don’t enjoy writing clips in session view, i’ve written thousands! But it’s really been a joy in NS2 just to stay left to right.

Anywho, I’m getting the structure of the tune down, then will work on the mix, then automation. I’m at 40 tracks right now, so it’s starting to sprawl!

• @drez said:
    I don’t have a song ready yet because I’m a bit like Matt. I want it to be juuuuuuuust right before I put it out there...Normally. I’ve got a few public crap stuff out on my soundcloud, but I’m working methodically through my first NS2 song and learning the ropes through out the process. I can say it’s been very nice working in a timeline again. When I hop on ableton or BM3, I normally just start making clips and then...that’s it. Linear writing is helping me to actually complete something instead of just a shed load of clips. Not to say I don’t enjoy writing clips in session view, i’ve written thousands! But it’s really been a joy in NS2 just to stay left to right.

Anywho, I’m getting the structure of the tune down, then will work on the mix, then automation. I’m at 40 tracks right now, so it’s starting to sprawl!

I know what you mean about the clips view and being distracted in that realm alone. It was something that took me a while to stay focused with in Ableton.

• edited December 2018

Interactions. Every single particle in our bodies, around us, in whole universe. Trillions of trillions exchanges of information in every second. They define us. They define everything. We are made of interactions We are just pure information..

• @dendy that’s glorious! Superb sound choices and the mix is fantastico! Right amount of pump in the sidechain to feel that wooshyness in the chill vibe you’re laying down. The effects are not to wet..everything is just great. Not just that...I liked that song as well! Nice melody line throughout. Excellent stuff, my friend :+1:

• @drez thanks :-) got a little bit of inspiration today evening :-)

btw of course everything just nanostudio2 no external stuff involved :-)

• @dendy cool track, man! How many compressors did you use?

• @dendy - cool way you modulate the bass there, and I agree with @drez, the sidechain (and panning, and probably use of low frequencies?) makes for a real feeling of being inside the music when I listen on big headphones... It's effective! I'd love to put it on a big bass speaker and see what happens.... or hear it at a festival.... Visceral :)

• Love how you made it evolve and feel like a movie. I wanna get that style of synth work accomplished

@dendy said:
    Interactions. Every single particle in our bodies, around us, in whole universe. Trillions of trillions exchanges of information in every second. They define us. They define everything. We are made of interactions We are just pure information..

• New one I started up using the kit that @3sleeves posted earlier.

• edited December 2018

thanks for kind words guys !

@kleptolia said:
    How many compressors did you use?

Single one :lol: Just on slate track, there is actually no sidechain used at all - all that "breathing" comes from beat compression and how other elements are arranged and automated .. It's side effect :)

on master track is limiter but just very gentle

• @dendy said:

@kleptolia said:

Single one :lol: Just on slate track, there is actually no sidechain used at all - all that "breathing" comes from beat compression and how other elements are arranged and automated .. It's side effect :)

Awseome stuff Dendy! Yes, the best mixes tend to be performances more than processes. :)

• @dendy Great track! Fantastic sounds that all work together so well.

• Finally found the time to do some playing. The first time is always C-minor, beats and a riser. So I switched up this time and did E-minor…

• edited December 2018

@Stiksi just. wow.

powerfull ! lot of energy, and that build up is :+1::+1:

• @Stiksi said:
    Finally found the time to do some playing. The first time is always C-minor, beats and a riser. So I switched up this time and did E-minor…

Tuning up the volume!!! Nice energy! I like it!

• @Stiksi ooh I like that. Hard hitting beats, great rhythms and that pad works well in conjunction :)

• @Stiksi :o ! That is killer! I absolutely did not expect the swing after the drop. Such a clean mix as well. Drum programming is really top shelf. Great sound choices. IMO, the swing makes that track, the bass on the “and” of the 4th beat is :+1: Solid tune!!

• @dendy said:

Great track and sounds dendy. I like making the atmospheric electronica/breakbeat kind of stuff, it takes you on a journey and the tempo leaves plenty of space for things to happen without becoming overcrowded.

• @drez said:
    @Stiksi :o ! That is killer! I absolutely did not expect the swing after the drop. Such a clean mix as well. Drum programming is really top shelf. Great sound choices. IMO, the swing makes that track, the bass on the “and” of the 4th beat is :+1: Solid tune!!

Thank you! Most of the sounds are slightly modified from the factory presets and the second bass is from the free IAP pack. The vocoder is Voice Synth, which I love but isn’t playing nice with external controllers 😖 Shoutout to @LeeB for making my new favourite pad sound 😀 Throb. And thanks @dendy and @SlapHappy glad you enjoyed it!

• @dendy said:

@kleptolia said:

That’s pretty cool! There are a lot of different ways to get an interesting mix. I like the sound of yours.

• Finally sort of finish first tune , all internal stuff no factory presets some samples from old sci-fi gpl film cosmos war of the planets. I could definitely fiddle with eq and compressor but I just want to start something new:DDD Enjoy

• @Stiksi said:
    Finally found the time to do some playing. The first time is always C-minor, beats and a riser. So I switched up this time and did E-minor…

Love it, sounds nice and clean! Keep them coming

• @dendy said:

Nice one dendy
    This sounds great, great sound design! also found that what is included within obsidian is all I need.

• @Cray23 said:

Finally sort of finish first tune , all internal stuff no factory presets some samples from old sci-fi gpl film cosmos war of the planets. I could definitely fiddle with eq and compressor but I just want to start something new:DDD Enjoy

Oh, wow love your beats, and the samples are superb 😆

I’ve only now really gotten into this thread and I have to say the production quality of the posted tracks is blowing me away. My new favourite thread!

• @Stiksi said:

@Cray23 said:

Finally sort of finish first tune , all internal stuff no factory presets some samples from old sci-fi gpl film cosmos war of the planets. I could definitely fiddle with eq and compressor but I just want to start something new:DDD Enjoy

Oh, wow love your beats, and the samples are superb 😆

I’ve only now really gotten into this thread and I have to say the production quality of the posted tracks is blowing me away. My new favourite thread!

Likewise, really love all of it so far, great artists around here, it is my favourite thread too and also obsidian patches thread. I’m cooking some patches for you guys. Really enjoying NanoStudio community

• edited December 2018

@Cray23 woow whaaaat ?! Massive ! Was really looking forward for first tune in this genre. :+1: And i’m glad you found my “Hard Step” kit useful :lol:

What @Stiksi said. Soo much various genres here, but all of them sounding great...

Obviously NS is not tied to just one or two musical genres :))

This discussion has been closed.