Feature request Option to have timeline start at zero instead of one (Resolved)

edited December 2018 in Support

Totally inconsequential but following convention of other linear DAWs, useful when counting bars

Comments

• edited December 2018

+1 if it doesn't break anything, it is really just visual tweak and will be job for 5 minutes :)

• edited December 2018

@dendy said:
    will be job for 5 minutes :)

Famous last words. That's what she said.

+1

• Huh. I'm used to starting at one.... Traktion starts at one, garageband starts at one... Am I misunderstanding? :o

• edited December 2018

Which DAWs? I can’t recall any that do. Do they start counting beats in each measure at zero too?

Now that I think about it, it is kind of strange that convention started, when you consider that time starts at zero. But convention it is.

• The first measure does start at zero time, but after 4 bars you now have 1 measure. Measure 1. There is no measure 0. The start of the first measure does not mean there is a 0 measure that has already elapsed, unless you count the count in. Maybe there is a bit of an impulse to quickly call for ‘Feature Requests” when, in this case, it is a really minor thing of standard notation coventions. In others, like selecting the timeline loop to part it is just a matter of learning a shortcut in the app. We might be overwhelming the developer with too many requests. Just sayin

• edited December 2018

@number37 You're right. Taking back my +1 :-) If it is good for both Reaper and Logic start at 1, it's good also for Nanostudio :)

@Stiksi we got fooled :)

It starts from bar 1 bear 1, but at time 0:00 .. numbers in top line are bars. Bar 0 doesn't exist, you always start (if time signature is 4/4/) with 1.1 - 1.2 - 1.3 - 1.4, then 2.1 - 2.2 - 2.3 - 2.4 and so on ..

if there is 0:00 displayed in some DAW, maybe it's because it doesn't display measures but TIME. Which is ok, time starts from 0. Reaper displays both, starts from 00:00:00 time but 1.1.00 measure

• Kind of like how the ground floor is floor one in buildings in the US, and in Europe floor one is the next floor up. ;)

• @number37 said:
    Kind of like how the ground floor is floor one in buildings in the US, and in Europe floor one is the next floor up. ;)

And the lifts never work!

• @User_Error said:
    The first measure does start at zero time, but after 4 bars you now have 1 measure. Measure 1. There is no measure 0. The start of the first measure does not mean there is a 0 measure that has already elapsed, unless you count the count in. Maybe there is a bit of an impulse to quickly call for ‘Feature Requests” when, in this case, it is a really minor thing of standard notation coventions. In others, like selecting the timeline loop to part it is just a matter of learning a shortcut in the app. We might be overwhelming the developer with too many requests. Just sayin

Ok point taken. ;)

• @dendy said:
    @Stiksi we got fooled :)

Reading comprehension fail 😖