Is it possible to automate velocity?

I don’t see velocity as a mod destination. I just wanted to transform a held note from 0% loudness to 100% than back to 0% by drawing the automation. Thanks!

Comments

• edited December 2018

That’s not possible in any sequencer. Velocity is sent as part of the note-on event. It only happens at the instance a note is hit. Think of it like hitting an acoustic piano key or a guitar string.

You need to automate volume (level) if you want the level to change during the course of a note.

• No problem. It’s a commonly confused thing.

• @HOLMES_Mark_IV

but you can "draw" velocity of existing notes... just inside piano roll tap on icon with with down arrow in top left corner... in roll downs velocity view - you can do there selection, tweak velicitied or even "draw" their changed

• Velocity automation resides inside the box icon with the downward arrow (v?) in the top left corner of the piano roll. Volume automation resides in the three node icon beside the velocity icon.

Automation can be recorded if you set it up in the mixer (W) or drawn in.

• edited December 2018

That only affects how hard each note is hit. It would not change the volume over time of a note while it is sustaining. Just making sure that’s clear...

• @number37 said:
    That only affects how hard each note is hit. It would not change the volume over time of a note while it is sustaining. Just making sure that’s clear...

Good point. And also velocity can be mapped in particular patch to other things that just volume (i used it in some factory patches for sure, don't remember names) - cutoff, lfo amount, etc.

• @HOLMES_Mark_IV said:
    I don’t see velocity as a mod destination. I just wanted to transform a held note from 0% loudness to 100% than back to 0% by drawing the automation. Thanks!

If you're planning on drawing in automation, I suggest adjusting velocity once recorded as LucidMusicInc suggested... If you've got lots of notes, try using the "toggle" option in Select to change several at a time.

However if you just want to adjust volume, specifically (assuming Obsidian) this is what I would try:
    1. set up a knob to control the Amp Env Level (bottom left in the Edit screen of an Obsidian patch, and the first envelope in most patches)
    2. turn the amp envelope level to whatever minimum note velocity you want, since you are going to use the knob to add to this, and
    3. draw in or record automation on this knob.

(This isn't going to automate any split of the oscillators, just raise the volume.)

:)

• in my opinion best way to automate volume is put "stereo gain" fx on track channel and automate that gain ... benefits of that solution are:

• if you change instrumet type on chanel from Obsidian to some AUfx, volume automation will be not affected
    • if you change Obsidian patch, again no affected volume automation
    • you still can set overall track volume by track channel fader (because it is not affected by automation)
  • @dendy said:
    in my opinion best way to automate volume is put "stereo gain" fx on track channel and automate that gain ... benefits of that solution are:

• if you change instrumet type on chanel from Obsidian to some AUfx, volume automation will be not affected
    • you still can set overall track volume by track channel fader (because it is not affected by automation)

Very very much this.

Automating envelope level knobs is super useful for all manner interesting stuffs but for volume automation, automating the stereo gain track effect is the way to go for all the reasons mentioned. I have one inserted (and bypassed) on each track of my default template mainly for this reason.

• @dendy said:
    in my opinion best way to automate volume is put "stereo gain" fx on track channel and automate that gain ... benefits of that solution are:

Thanks, I will try this! Do you do this for final mixing as well, when you are tweaking levels, or do you record motion of the mix knobs? If the latter, can the levels be visualized as automation? I can only see those visible on the performance view in Obsidian.

• @HOLMES_Mark_IV I don't think there's a way to visualize it across multiple tracks. I mostly just use my ears and each track's meter for visual feedback.

The big bonus of this method during the final mixing stages is that you're free to tweak the main volume sliders as needed without fighting with your volume automation. These days most desktop DAWs do this by having both 'Gain' and 'Volume' controls per channel. Automate one, manually futz with the other.

• Don't wish to open up more tickets than needed. My question is not exactly the original, but close:

Can you change the velocity per inserted midi note, as one can, say, in Gadget or Auria? I'm sure this is awfully obvious, but I am sorry my early-stage n00bosity can't solve it in this moment....

• @JohnnyGoodyear Yep. Two ways:

1) Via the dedicated velocity editor (manual link)
    2) or directly in the part editor by selecting one or more notes and dragging the handle on the left of the screen up and down. This one:

Within each note, the thinner grey bar represents the velocity. In this example the upper note has a lower velocity than the lower note.

• @number37 said:

Holy shit. Thank you Mister Wim.

• @Will said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear Yep. Two ways:

2) or directly in the part editor by selecting one or more notes and dragging the handle on the left of the screen up and down. This one:

Within each note, the thinner grey bar represents the velocity. In this example the upper note has a lower velocity than the lower note.

Ah. And the full lesson. Brilliant. I feel sorry for being so slow, but no doubt there will be others along shortly in the same pokey lane :) Perhaps we need to figure out a way to cut and paste these golden nuggets into The Duffers Resort.

Thanks so much Professor.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@number37 said:

Holy shit. Thank you Mister Wim.

¡Ohai Wim!

• @Will said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear Yep. Two ways:

I was wondering what the grey bar inside the blue one actually was lol. Thanks for the insight!

• @Will said:
    ¡Ohai Wim!

👊 :spirit animal: ✌️

• @Nyanko said:
    I was wondering what the grey bar inside the blue one actually was lol. Thanks for the insight!

I asked the very same at one point. :) Brilliant stuff (once you know it).