Question about Slate Mute Button

edited December 2018 in General chat

Besides live use is there any practical reason for the pad mute? I’m asking because NS2 doesn’t support IAA out so live use isn’t really an option so what other purpose is there for the pad mute? Sincere question. It doesn’t seem to automate and mutes don’t change per part. I can’t find any info on the help section. What are your opinions about it?

Comments

• in sound design phase it's handy to mute pads, to listen just some of them...

• edited December 2018

I’m wondering if the mute could be used for arrangement purposes too. For example if the mute also muted midi output the same clip could be copied into multiple slate tracks with different muted pads. It’s maybe more work than warranted , but there’s something about pad muting that I like when making beats.

• edited December 2018

I use it to do separate processing for different pads. I use one Slate for the MIDI clip, then send the MIDI to several different Slates, one handles the bass sounds (kicks, maybe low toms), one handles the mid sounds (toms, sidesticks, misc clangs), one handles the high sounds (noise effects, cymbals and hats). Because most kits contain all of these, I just mute the pads that are from the other groups. It’s not too much work. You can just press the mute button and paint over all the pads you want muted.

Also same for the sidechain source channel.

• @Stiksi said:
    I use it to do separate processing for different pads. I use one Slate for the MIDI clip, then send the MIDI to several different Slates, one handles the bass sounds (kicks, maybe low toms), one handles the mid sounds (toms, sidesticks, misc clangs), one handles the high sounds (noise effects, cymbals and hats). Because most kits contain all of these, I just mute the pads that are from the other groups. It’s not too much work. You can just press the mute button and paint over all the pads you want muted.

Also same for the sidechain source channel.

Yes, I do something similar in Gadget. Useful for quickly getting stems out of drums split into different types (at the end of the process).

So this is a useful feature for me.

• I’m asking because NS2 doesn’t support IAA out so live use isn’t really an option so

I'm a little lost on this bit. Curious about your workflow. I think it's fair to say that the vast majority of music gear ever used in any live situation ever doesn't even know what IAA is, let alone support it. What about not supporting IAA makes NS2 not an option for live use?

• edited December 2018

@Will said:

I’m asking because NS2 doesn’t support IAA out so live use isn’t really an option so

I'm a little lost on this bit. Curious about your workflow. I think it's fair to say that the vast majority of music gear ever used in any live situation ever doesn't even know what IAA is, let alone support it. What about not supporting IAA makes NS2 not an option for live use?

Personally, when I use the term ‘live use’ or ‘playing an app live’ it’s often just me, on my own, jamming away and recording the output (and occasionally throwing it up to soundcloud).

With NS2 this isn’t possible currently (on the same device). If it had IAA or Audiobus or worked as an AU or even had its own ‘record master output’ function then it would be nice and easy to record your performance. (Even better if you could choose which tracks to record).

I’m presuming that might be what is meant.

Edit: actually scratch the bit about NS2 being an AU instrument itself - that’s never gonna work :).

• Just like the Electribe and MPC workflow using mutes to activate and deactivate pads is what I meant, IAA for recording output. Beathawk is another example. Anyway just a question about what the mute was for, maybe Slate will get some more features in the future.