Possible reason of “battery drain” issue

edited December 2018 in General chat

Few users reported high battery drain when using NS2.. (for example @King )

Recently i noticed that for example Model D is on my iPad Air eating 60% of CPU even if playback is stopped... Same issue in BM3 (cpu meter still jumls between 0 and 60%) so it’s obviously bug in Model D - no idea if such issue is there also with other plugins but definitely if CPU load is all the time up this have significant impact on battery drain ...

In other DAWs, at least based on my discussions, users usually use a lot of freeze or resampling of AUs, so maybe this issue is not so obvious... That’s why there should be potentially subjective feeling that NS2 eats more battery than other DAWs (which is definitely not the case based on my tests)

This issue happens ONLY with AU plugins - build in stuff is pretty well optimalised to eat zero cpu if it is not playing anything.

So - for all who are using more AUs - please try check CPU meter in Settings - it should be near zero if playback is stopped, if it is not, try identify which AU plugin causes it - lets build here list of such plugins...

Comments

• edited December 2018

iPad Pro 12.9, tested with NS2 idle

each experiment is just one track of the synth

Worst:
    Moog Model15: one track of Arpeggiated Hard Pluck = 18% Audio CPU
    Moog ModelD: 15% CPU, consistent
    Aparillo: 10% CPU

Best:
    PPG Infinite and WaveGenerator: 0% CPU
    Arturia iSEM: 0% CPU

Need more AUv3 synths :o (actually just need the devs of my existing synths to do the AUv3 conversion/updates)

Good call @dendy - I was blaming this on NS2 with Background Audio enabled. Looks like it’s really the AUs.

• I can also recommend Sunrizer as it’s very light on CPU.

But that said, it’s worth sticking with Obsidian because Obsidian can emulate virtually every AU available anyway. I’m amazed at just close Obsidian can get to sounding very Moog-like. And it’ll sound like a Prophet 5!

• PPG apps are really remarkable instruments. I actually wonder how much influence PPG's Wavegenerator had on the design of Sugarbytes' Aparillo. Except one is wavetable-based while the other, FM.

• Looks like no other AUs than Moog ones have issue with high CPU load even if playback is stopped... Anybody found some other ?

It should be teported to Moog, this needs to be fixes on their side...

• @tom_tm said:
    PPG apps are really remarkable instruments. I actually wonder how much influence PPG's Wavegenerator had on the design of Sugarbytes' Aparillo. Except one is wavetable-based while the other, FM.

Yeah, Infinite is pretty amazing in allowing inter-harmonic bin shifts, and the fact that Wavegenerator can pump tables into Infinite is really cool. I’ve been having mixed results using photo images to generate tables from pixel rows and columns and my theorem that optical illusions would generate the best tables got shot down. Oh, and when not idle both of them are CPU hogs. But yes quite remarkable!