IAA support discussion

This discussion was created from comments split from: Lumbeat’s Future Drummer, iBassist, etc..

Comments

• @dendy said:
    There is basic Audiobus implementation on the way, no eta yet, but then will be possible to record into Obsidian/Slate all non-AUv3 synths through Audiobus ... Definitely this is on one of top places of features/fixes to do soon ..

So we’ll have to buy audiobus to use IAA? Lame if true. I have zero need for audiobus elsewhere in iOS, not really keen on buying it just to plug holes in ns2 :(

• Not to mention it sucking as a workflow :/ regular IAA support would be vastly preferable...

• edited December 2018

Better than nothing.

• @flockz said:
    Not to mention it sucking as a workflow :/ regular IAA support would be vastly preferable...

Not to me. Waste of time both with development to implement and to support it. Glad Matt is embracing the future with AU only and not stuck in the past on IAA.

• edited December 2018

@drez said:

@flockz said:
    Not to mention it sucking as a workflow :/ regular IAA support would be vastly preferable...

Not to me. Waste of time both with development to implement and to support it. Glad Matt is embracing the future with AU only and not stuck in the past on IAA.

You don’t use some of the best iOS apps available, good for you... for those that do use those apps, lame.

And Matt isn’t ‘embracing the future’ any more than any other app that has au support. He’s simply ignoring the past/present. Which isn’t quite so admirable...

• @Shabudua said:
    Better than nothing.

It’s actually the same as nothing if you don’t have audiobus...

• @flockz said:

@drez said:

@flockz said:

You don’t use some of the best iOS apps available, good for you... for those that do use those apps, lame.

And Matt isn’t ‘embracing the future’ any more than any other app that has au support. He’s simply ignoring the past/present. Which isn’t quite so admirable...

People used to use WordPerfect for DOS and thought it was the greatest thing ever. Then we all moved on. People used to think all metal roller skate wheels were the best ever. Now we don’t. I’m all for progress.

• edited December 2018

@drez said:

@flockz said:

@drez said:

@flockz said:

People used to use WordPerfect for DOS and thought it was the greatest thing ever. Then we all moved on. People used to think all metal roller skate wheels were the best ever. Now we don’t. I’m all for progress.

I’m all for progress too. When all the dopest IAA apps are converted to au or replaced by equivalent/better other apps then good riddance to IAA. But until then, ‘progress’ that means not being able to use the best tools for the job isn’t the kind of progress I generally get hyped about... it’s a premature move by a year or two and a big ‘pro’ in favour of the competition in iOS dawland. It’s a big reason for some people to use other daws. Doesn’t affect me if ns2 is a success or not, but if It did and I wanted it to be, I’d avoid making people choose between daws based on staple things like IAA support.

• @flockz said:

I’m all for progress too. When all the dopest IAA apps are converted to au or replaced by equivalent/better other apps then good riddance to IAA. But until then, ‘progress’ that means not being able to use the best tools for the job isn’t the kind of progress I generally get hyped about... it’s a premature move by a year or two and a big ‘pro’ in favour of the competition in iOS dawland. It’s a big reason for some people to use other daws. Doesn’t affect me if ns2 is a success or not, but if It did and I wanted it to be, I’d avoid making people choose between daws based on staple things like IAA support.

Why not just use a different DAW then? You sound like a guy walking into an Italian restaurant asking for a hamburger. If you want Italian, then just go eat Italian. Asking for something he’s already said he’s not going to do is pointless. There’s nothing stopping you from eating the food you like and if that’s IAA, then there are plenty of restaurants to choose from.

• edited December 2018

@drez said:

@flockz said:

Why not just use a different DAW then? You sound like a guy walking into an Italian restaurant asking for a hamburger. If you want Italian, then just go eat Italian. Asking for something he’s already said he’s not going to do is pointless. There’s nothing stopping you from eating the food you like and if that’s IAA, then there are plenty of restaurants to choose from.

You obviously don’t understand the concept of ‘feature request’.

And yeah, I have been using other daws instead of ns2. Been coming to that solution all by myself but thanks for stating the obvious..

• @flockz said:

Sure I do. But that’s not what your asking. Your asking him to implement something he’s not going to do. He’s already said no. Your feature request was denied long ago by an architecture decision. It’s over. What is beating a dead horse doing to progress the platform? Why not go ask those IAA developers to move to AU instead? Then it helps everybody.

By drawing a line in the sand and saying no, that will actually help the AU adoption. Supporting IAA does not.

• @drez said:

@flockz said:

Sure I do. But that’s not what your asking. Your asking him to implement something he’s not going to do. He’s already said no. Your feature request was denied long ago by an architecture decision. It’s over. What is beating a dead horse doing to progress the platform? Why not go ask those IAA developers to move to AU instead? Then it helps everybody.

By drawing a line in the sand and saying no, that will actually help the AU adoption. Supporting IAA does not.

Matt made his IAA decision based on his personal useage and feedback from a small beta team. You’re making it out to be Brexit. It’s not, it’s a reversible decision. And one that a lot of people have voiced support for. I understand how if you don’t dig any IAA apps then you couldn’t care less. But perhaps imagine yourself as not the only person using ns2.

FWIW I hate IAA in comparison to au. But it’s there and other devs bust their ass making those apps.... Jeez, patterning 2 only dropped couple months ago. And there are more new IAA released every month. All this came before Ns2 came along. It’s possible to have respect for what exists while still moving forward. Saying ‘AU ONLY!’ Isn’t going to make all devs convert to au. Half of them don’t have the time/inclination/skill set.

But yeah. Like you say, there are other daws to use and I’ll keep an eye on ns2 and the rest of the landscape.

• I’m genuinely curious as to what IAA apps are so wonderful that they can’t be replaced by an AU app.

• edited December 2018

@anickt said:
    I’m genuinely curious as to what IAA apps are so wonderful that they can’t be replaced by an AU app.

Patterning, Samplr, Scapers (au on its way, but when?), Animoog, Full IDensity, Full PPG infinite, Looperverse, etc etc, the list is lonnnnng.

Au versions/Alternatives/better ‘will’ appear. But god knows when. For example ToneStack has been saying ‘AU coming’ for what seems like forever... And in any case, anyone that has spent significant time designing patches in an app isn’t always just gonna want to abandon that work and those sounds and start from scratch in an equivalent app.

• @flockz please add your last post again here, i did thread split but you
    probably posted your last one exactly in moment when i made this split...

• @dendy said:
    @flockz please add your last post again here, i did thread split but you
    probably posted your last one exactly in moment when i made this split...

No worries :)

Was just mentioning about things like looper/mangling apps. Apple’s Au restrictions with sampling/file saving etc seem like they’ll possibly mean that IAA will be used for various types of apps/workflows for the forseeable.

• @flockz said:

Matt made his IAA decision based on his personal useage and feedback from a small beta team.

No he didn’t. If you read through the announcement thread on the old forum you’ll see he made his decision on the fact that it’s a dead technology and he didn’t want to have anything to do with it. He didn’t say “the beta testers didn’t like it”. He doesn’t want to weite code for it because it sucks to work with in the DAW as it’s clunky, gotta switch windows, etc.

• @drez said:

@flockz said:

Matt made his IAA decision based on his personal useage and feedback from a small beta team.

No he didn’t. If you read through the announcement thread on the old forum you’ll see he made his decision on the fact that it’s a dead technology and he didn’t want to have anything to do with it. He didn’t say “the beta testers didn’t like it”. He doesn’t want to weite code for it because it sucks to work with in the DAW as it’s clunky, gotta switch windows, etc.

But he’s going to add audiobus? Which makes for an EVEN CLUNKIER workflow to use IAA than built in support?

IAA isn’t a dead technology yet. Jumping the gun.... good IAA stuff is still being released. Devs are making IAA apps. Other daws are supporting IAA. It’s literally only dead in ns2....

• edited December 2018

@flockz said:

@drez said:

@flockz said:

But he’s going to add audiobus? Which makes for an EVEN CLUNKIER workflow to use IAA than built in support?

IAA isn’t a dead technology yet. Jumping the gun.... good IAA stuff is still being released. Devs are making IAA apps. Other daws are supporting IAA. It’s literally only dead in ns2....

Audiobus allows I/O to get in and out of NS2. That’s it. A clear demarcation point.

• @drez said:

@flockz said:

@drez said:

@flockz said:

Audiobus allows I/O to get in and out of NS2. That’s it. A clear demarcation point.

Yeah, none of the IAA apps are saved/loaded when you open your ns2 project. Great :/

• @flockz I’m not sure why you’re so against AudioBus. Personally I love it. It’s the centerpiece of my iOS music experience (except with NS2), and I totally love it. But, to each his own.

But, that’s not what this post is about. It’s about the order of effort for AB3 and IAA support. By this I mean external AudioBus / IAA support (NS2 being able to be hosted within AudioBus or other IAA hosts, to receive audio from and/or send audio to them). I don’t mean internal IAA support (NS2 being able to host IAA apps).

Implementing external AudioBus support is presumably easier and (hopefully) lower maintenance than raw IAA support. It’s an SDK that takes care of lots of the low level plumbing, allowing simpler calls to libraries, rather than coding directly to the OS. In theory, it should be much easier to implement, and maintain, because when (not if) Apple breaks things, the AudioBus team has to fix them.

So, part of the reason for pushing for AudioBus on my part has been the hope that it’s more likely to be seen as doable in the short term and less of a headache in the long term. (Disclaimer: I am not a developer, but somewhat conversant with programming.)

Lastly, and importantly, AudioBus is basically an IAA implementation. I think that external IAA support may come bundled as a result of implementing AudioBus. So, there is a possibility that you’ll get what you want at the same time.

As for internal IAA (hosting of IAA apps), I personally hope that the vocal pushers for this (you) don’t get their way and end up polluting NS2 with that crap. You have every right to push for it if it’s so important to you, of course. -peace

• @number37 said:
    @flockz I’m not sure why you’re so against AudioBus. Personally I love it. It’s the centerpiece of my iOS music experience (except with NS2), and I totally love it. But, to each his own.

But, that’s not what this post is about. It’s about the order of effort for AB3 and IAA support. By this I mean external AudioBus / IAA support (NS2 being able to be hosted within AudioBus or other IAA hosts, to receive audio from and/or send audio to them). I don’t mean internal IAA support (NS2 being able to host IAA apps).

Implementing external AudioBus support is presumably easier and (hopefully) lower maintenance than raw IAA support. It’s an SDK that takes care of lots of the low level plumbing, allowing simpler calls to libraries, rather than coding directly to the OS. In theory, it should be much easier to implement, and maintain, because when (not if) Apple breaks things, the AudioBus team has to fix them.

So, part of the reason for pushing for AudioBus on my part has been the hope that it’s more likely to be seen as doable in the short term and less of a headache in the long term. (Disclaimer: I am not a developer, but somewhat conversant with programming.)

Lastly, and importantly, AudioBus is basically an IAA implementation. I think that external IAA support may come bundled as a result of implementing AudioBus. So, there is a possibility that you’ll get what you want at the same time.

As for internal IAA (hosting of IAA apps), I personally hope that the vocal pushers for this (you) don’t get their way and end up polluting NS2 with that crap. You have every right to push for it if it’s so important to you, of course. -peace

‘Polluting ns2 with that crap’....That’s a naive/ignorant way of seeing it...

• @drez said:

@flockz said:

@drez said:

@flockz said:

Audio is allows I/O to get in and out of NS2. That’s it. A clear demarcation point.

@flockz said:

@number37 said:
    @flockz I’m not sure why you’re so against AudioBus. Personally I love it. It’s the centerpiece of my iOS music experience (except with NS2), and I totally love it. But, to each his own.

It’s an intelligent/forward way of thinking about it. IAA is a giant bolt on. No thanks.

• To > @drez said:

@drez said:

@flockz said:

@drez said:

@flockz said:

Audio is allows I/O to get in and out of NS2. That’s it. A clear demarcation point.

@flockz said:

@number37 said:

It’s an intelligent/forward way of thinking about it. IAA is a giant bolt on. No thanks.

Arghhhhh. There’s nothing intelligent or forward thinking about killing backward compatibility when clearly still in a transitional period. Every other daw has AU. That’s not something that ns2 has brought to the table. You make out like it’s a unique selling point NOT having IAA support. Total nonsense...

• We been round and round on this. You’re not going to change your mind, neither are those who disagree with you. Good luck with your quest. I said all I have to say.

• edited December 2018

@number37 said:
    We been round and round on this. You’re not going to change your mind, neither are those who disagree with you. Good luck with your quest. I said all I have to say.

I just think it’s funny how people who don’t use IAA are so loud about not needing it. Surely you/they have something better to think/talk about than something that you/they don’t want? But yeh, agreed. dull thing to spend life moments dwelling on and it sounds like it’ll never happen in any case. Guess we’ll see how other daws shape up ‘post ns2’ over next 6 months or so...

• @flockz Do you have a YouTube channel or any other place we can maybe see some videos of your workflow?
    I’m genuinely curious to see which IAA apps you use together and hear what kind of music you make.
    I used Group The Loop a lot before NS2 came out because it has possibly the fastest and simplest IAA and AU fx workflow that I’ve ever used (I’ve tried almost every DAW/host app except StageLight on iOS). GTL lets me export every loop cleanly to use in NS2, but I honestly haven’t been missing any IAA instruments since this transition (understandably that is not how everyone feels). I’m usually making chilled out psychedelic boom bap beats and RnB/soul type stuff with lots of loops and improvisation...I’ve spammed the NS2 songs Megathread with plenty of my YouTube stuff already in case you’re interested.

It could be illuminating to see your preferred process with IAA, if you’re interested in sharing.
    Personally I wish there were some more live performance oriented features and fx in NS2, but I’ve made due with AU fx and a few workarounds. I doubt anything like a native FlyTape or Turnado type of toolset will ever get implemented, but that’s also a niche thing (like using a DAW for live performance, I guess😄).

Anyway, please share some examples of your current IAA workflow if you don’t mind.

• @3sleeves said:
    I’ve spammed the NS2 songs Megathread

don't think "spammed" is proper word... "pleased" fits better... which reminds me, didn't hear anything new from you for a while, hope you didn't deleted NS :lol:

• @dendy said:

@3sleeves said:
    I’ve spammed the NS2 songs Megathread

don't think "spammed" is proper word... "pleased" fits better... which reminds me, didn't hear anything new from you for a while, hope you didn't deleted NS :lol:

😄Thanks @dendy
    I just posted a track on the 27th, check the Megathread😎
    Working on something this weekend too, couldn’t ever think of deleting NS2!!!

• @3sleeves said:
    @flockz Do you have a YouTube channel or any other place we can maybe see some videos of your workflow?
    I’m genuinely curious to see which IAA apps you use together and hear what kind of music you make.
    I used Group The Loop a lot before NS2 came out because it has possibly the fastest and simplest IAA and AU fx workflow that I’ve ever used (I’ve tried almost every DAW/host app except StageLight on iOS). GTL lets me export every loop cleanly to use in NS2, but I honestly haven’t been missing any IAA instruments since this transition (understandably that is not how everyone feels). I’m usually making chilled out psychedelic boom bap beats and RnB/soul type stuff with lots of loops and improvisation...I’ve spammed the NS2 songs Megathread with plenty of my YouTube stuff already in case you’re interested.

It could be illuminating to see your preferred process with IAA, if you’re interested in sharing.
    Personally I wish there were some more live performance oriented features and fx in NS2, but I’ve made due with AU fx and a few workarounds. I doubt anything like a native FlyTape or Turnado type of toolset will ever get implemented, but that’s also a niche thing (like using a DAW for live performance, I guess😄).

Anyway, please share some examples of your current IAA workflow if you don’t mind.

I’ll try to grab a minute to screen grab some videos and make a YouTube to share them :)

But generally my IAA workflow is same as my au workflow. Which is either regular sequencing/tracking with automation on fx etc. Or live resampling to separate audio tracks (or externally to hardware or ableton) while jamming in IAA gui’s (switching patterns in grooverider, tweaking parameters in Instruments etc) then chop up the audio/separate loops per track and arrange etc.

Depends on the day and what I’m doing at the time.....Sometimes my iPad’s a song scratchpad so I’m in DAW mode, other days my iPad’s multitrack sample fodder so I’m in instrument sound design or making loops mode. But in either mode I’ll often reach for IAA apps. Mostly I’m au, but maybe like 20% IAA (in terms of instruments/groove boxes etc.... I rarely run IAA fx...very few that are worth the hassle).

This discussion has been closed.