Duplicate a Track?

Is there a quick way to duplicate a track’s setup? That is, the instrument, and all FX (MIDI and audio), and (optionally) the data? I’m asking because I’ve been doing stuff with multiple tracks of “intelligent” (and not-so-intelligent) arpeggiators (there is no MIDI data to copy in those cases). I’ve also wanted to double some tracks verbatim, but with different Obsidian patches. Sorry in advance if I missed something obvious. But I didn’t see an easy way to do that.

Comments

• There's no shortcut currently but it's been requested.

• edited December 2018

@toneman If just playing more synths same melody is what you want to do (so basically layering), there is perfect way how to do this in NS2 without need of duplicate tracks ..

You can use MIDI SEND feature for this (it is in mixer channel settings, tab "SENDS") ! Perfect way to create layered sounds... You can send MIDI from one track to as much other tracks as you want - so you don't need duplicate nothing at all ..

best way to do layering is to create parent track where you put just notes and eventually MIDI FX generators (not obsidian or any au synth)..
    then you create as much child tracks with obsidians or other AU synths as you want and in track settings of that parent track you set MIDI SEND to all child tracks ..

this way parent track will send midi to all childs and will receive back audio from all childs - so you can apply global audio FX on whole layer ;)

• edited December 2018

@dendy - ahh OK. That is very helpful! I was going to ask about in-app MIDI routing but was trying not to be needy... Thanks! As long as you’re here, I have another question: several of my AU MIDI plugins have MIDI-learn. Is there a way to MIDI-learn/map them to the assignable knobs in Obsidian, or the automation channels? I couldn’t figure out how to make that work with the switching to and from the AU MIDI FX panel, and those controls never show up in any of the automation lists.

• edited December 2018

AU Fx are currenctly not possible to automate, just build in FXs.. AUfx automation is planned for one of first updates but not ETA yet..

• @Cinebient

no fixed velocity but you can do transpose and you can define note range which will be received (notes outside range are ignored).. you can define also velocity mapping curve..

• Dang that’s a neat trick Dendy. Gonna try it out myself. I wonder if it eases cpu doing it that way vs midi on each track individually ?

• @nkdvkng said:
    Dang that’s a neat trick Dendy. Gonna try it out myself. I wonder if it eases cpu doing it that way vs midi on each track individually ?

no midi have near zero impact to CPU..

advantage is for example that if you build layer of stacked synths this way, you can play all of them at once using external keyboard (or also on screen, if you put “MIDI out intrument” on that group parent track and they you play on this instrument)

another advantage will be later when there will be possibility to “minimalise” child tracks (like tou can minimalise them now in mixer)

• Sweet! Gonna try this today. I have a trap mixed with electro style beat I’m working on. I have two stacked synths from the dance pack 1 I’d love to try this trick on.

@dendy said:

@nkdvkng said:
    Dang that’s a neat trick Dendy. Gonna try it out myself. I wonder if it eases cpu doing it that way vs midi on each track individually ?

no midi have near zero impact to CPU..

advantage is for example that if you build layer of stacked synths this way, you can play all of them at once using external keyboard (or also on screen, if you put “MIDI out intrument” on that group parent track and they you play on this instrument)

another advantage will be later when there will be possibility to “minimalise” child tracks (like tou can minimalise them now in mixer)

• Would still love a track duplicate option as well...

• Hi @dendy

I tried stacking 2 Obsidian synth tracks as u described, with a parent track and 2 child tracks, with some notes added to the parent track. It does send the midi to the 2 child tracks but the transpose does not happen, and the note range doesn’t work. Here is a video showing the midi send to 2 child tracks and playing the parent track while adjusting the transpose. What am I missing here?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vww4k2rd1cjfxaj/AAAJxsF3N4Ly9zHVe7xAUd-7a?dl=0

BTW happy new year, sorry the video is blurry - free screen recorder app.... :/

• edited January 2019

@toneman this is strange, i remember that note range did work for midi send when i tried it is some early beta version but now looks it's applied just to midi hw input... i need discuss this with matt, not sure if it is just my wrong memory and it didn't never work this way , or it is bug, or matt changed this in some point intentionally....

• Yeah Matt said in another thread that it was just for midi out. Hopefully he adds support for internal devices as well.

• edited January 2019

Aah so just my wrong memory.. then sorry for missinformation :-)

• Funny thing is probably I won’t ever use it but opening the menu and seeing there is no duplicate-copy-paste something option makes me feel incomplete...
    I should question my mental health I guess.

• @dendy said:
    Aah so just my wrong memory.. then sorry for missinformation :-)

OK - good to know that I wasn’t crazy. But, having the inter-track MIDI send with transpose and note range would be amazingly powerful when combined with arpeggiators and line/chord generator AUv3 MIDI FX plugins. It would almost be a super-MIDI-effect all on its own and with Obsidian’s low CPU usage, you could generate a ton of noise without much CPU drain. Maybe this is also part of the MIDI recording issue coming from AUv3 MIDI FX. In any event, +1 with @drez — I hope this gets added at some point too!