Nanostudio 2 Songs Megathread

Comments

• @Nyanko said:
    My modest contribution to Nanostudio 2 community. A brilliant app, it is!

This is a brilliant tune! Great production as well, which makes a big difference because you cycled a lot of different types of sound throughout, but you kept the whole thing very cohesive. I was worried when I heard that sharper lead come in but you tamed it perfectly in the mix and at around 40Sec in that nice flutter on the sound of that patch that came in was really nice. I really like the sound choices. The percussion through out is perfectly placed. Agree with others, nice finish. Can’t wait to hear some more from you! :+1:

• Thanks, ya'll.

@drez I record with Quantize off pretty much always. That said, I do make extensive use of the ability to see the GRID lines in the piano roll while having SNAP off to fix weirdo outlier notes because I really am a shitty player. Even after all these years. :blush: Similar to record quantize, I rarely have SNAP on in the part editor. The "Quantize Strength" feature is also a miracle for me—"Er, um, howzabout just a little less all over the place?"

• @Nyanko nice track! Love the thick bass sound in the middle, and the way you kept the stereo width of the arp synth just loud enough to be heard at the outside edges of the song. The change at the end was very good, as well.

• @Will said:
    Thanks, ya'll.

@drez I record with Quantize off pretty much always. That said, I do make extensive use of the ability to see the GRID lines in the piano roll while having SNAP off to fix weirdo outlier notes because I really am a shitty player. Even after all these years. :blush: Similar to record quantize, I rarely have SNAP on in the part editor. The "Quantize Strength" feature is also a miracle for me—"Er, um, howzabout just a little less all over the place?"

@Will Haha, yeah I’m kinda like a guy with a drum set in the back of uHaul on a winding road. I’m playing, but...pretty sloppy. And for sure quantize strength is a godsend. I generally like the feel of what I’m doing just need corrections so that’s another reason why I like NS2 because editing is a breeze. Best piano roll evah.

The only time I generally quantize drums is if I’m doing industrial stuff and then I’m all quantize and then push stuff like the snare later to give it a heavy feel or maybe kicks early to make the snare feel late. When you slow the tempo down I think it’s cool to make use of the space. I’m kinda working on an Industrial one now. Testing to see how brutal I can get the waveshaper.

What I’m actually going to try is sending a dry bass or lead to 2 or 3 other channels to do some parallel processing...carving out the EQ’s on each to see what I can come up with. So not so much as a send effect but just duplicating the dry signal and get after it! Ableton is great for this and the way that NS2 is setup from a routing perspective, it’s basically like “Groups” in ableton.

One nice thing about it is that you only have one synth so you can make it sound totally different on multiple tracks but. It doesn’t eat up CPU creating more Synths or even doing the same with Slate.

I’m consistently blown away by NS2 flexibility.

• edited December 2018

@drez
    Testing to see how brutal I can get the waveshaper.

my favourite chain is
    EQ3>Wavshaper>EQ3>Waveshaper

with first EQ i set just subtle basic curve, first shaper set to max ovedrive or 30-40% hard.. then on second EQ i put +24dB on some band, with narrow Q, and second waveshaper to full hard distortion... it gets great screaming distortion ..

• @drez said:
    What I’m actually going to try is sending a dry bass or lead to 2 or 3 other channels to do some parallel processing...carving out the EQ’s on each to see what I can come up with. So not so much as a send effect but just duplicating the dry signal and get after it! Ableton is great for this and the way that NS2 is setup from a routing perspective, it’s basically like “Groups” in ableton.

It’s also very similar to how I use Instrument Racks in Ableton, combining different sounds into one with different fx chains but under a single master fx chain. It’s pretty much the exact same workflow I have in Live but it looks a bit different.

@drez said:

@Stiksi said:
    Trying out the Industrial IAPs and loving them! This is how I feel when I'm Christmas Shopping. Very festive.

Dissonance...my old friend! Great use of the gating sounds as well. Those low end strings/synth stabs are huge. The swing,is just the right amount and when the “big gun” industrial drums come in unswung it gives it that “kick in the face” vibe. Really creative melody. Plus the sound choices and mix are top shelf. Great job!

Thanks! Yes, dissonance is something I’ve been rediscovering lately. It’s kind of liberating as a tool.

• @dendy said:

@drez

my favourite chain is

with first EQ i set just subtle basic curve, first shaper set to max ovedrive or 30-40% hard.. then on second EQ i put +24dB on some band, with narrow Q, and second waveshaper to full hard distortion... it gets great screaming distortion ..

That’s a nice combo! Working out nicely for me :):+1:

• I used to use FuzzPlus a lot but that waveshaper is my go to for Trap 808bass distortion. Such a lovely plug. Matter of fact all the plugs are lovely affff.

@dendy said:

@drez

my favourite chain is

• Some really great tracks on this thread. Took my quite a while to get through it all! It's cool to see how productive people have been with NS2 in just a short period of time.

I did a bit of messing about - just a first draft: not a final mix. Let me know your critiques so I can improve the track before I go into doing a proper mix.

• @SlapHappy said:
    Some really great tracks on this thread. Took my quite a while to get through it all! It's cool to see how productive people have been with NS2 in just a short period of time.

I did a bit of messing about - just a first draft: not a final mix. Let me know your critiques so I can improve the track before I go into doing a proper mix.

Great song. The first 45 seconds reminded me of a Pink Floyd tune. About the only thing I noticed in your mix is something I notice often in my own: the snare is stereo, and the compression gives it a sort of digital “bit-glare.” The sounds that carries through the sides of the mix is a little bit “pixelated” if you know what I mean.
    That’s not a major issue, though. Sounds really good, overall. Well done!

• @SlapHappy realy like your style .. don’t know what to improve, i like it as is :) Ok maybe snare, but i’m sure if @kleptolia wouldn’t mentioned that, then i wouldn’t notice it :)) I guess you used chorus on snare ? That may be “pixelation” which kleptopia mentioned..

• @dendy said:
    @SlapHappy realy like your style .. don’t know what to improve, i like it as is :) Ok maybe snare, but i’m sure if @kleptolia wouldn’t mentioned that, then i wouldn’t notice it :)) I guess you used chorus on snare ? That may be “pixelation” which kleptopia mentioned..

Sorry! I only noticed it because it happens to me, too! 😅

• @SlapHappy said:

@SlapHappy - I agree with @kleptolia there, feels like Floyd :) If that's what you're after, I'd love to hear some smooth tom or snare rolls or fills in there since drummers of that era get bored easily.... You've almost got the feel of a real drummer there with the variation you do have. You could also gently slow the end down by a few BPM if you wanted that feel of a real drummer and end on a splash cymbal or fading snare flam or roll.... I played drums in one band and the end of the song is often the best part for a drummer! That's where they get to show off, even if they're not meant to be...

I'm looking forward to the next version :)

• @SlapHappy said:
    Some really great tracks on this thread. Took my quite a while to get through it all! It's cool to see how productive people have been with NS2 in just a short period of time.

Nice track. Reminds me of some japanese anime soundtracks from the 80s.

• edited December 2018

@User_Error one other thing about the snare is to create another snare pad with the same snare slightly different, maybe pitched up or down a few cents, maybe a shorter tail, or longer, etc. I hear that snare out front so having a few hits that sound a tad bit different can make a difference.

EDIT: I think I should have actually at'd @SlapHappy :o

• Thanks for the great feedback guys! It’s good to have extra ears to pick up on things that I couldn’t. I definitly know I don’t put as much attention to drums as I should. Standard keyboardist mentality of create a beat then forget it as I get into chords and melody. When I do second or third drafts I try to remember to do a complete pass on drums and see what I can do to ‘liven them up.’ Interesting call on the stereo snare - I’ll follow up on that. It was just a factory kit. No FX on this track yet, except for a bit of reverb somewhere.

I was more worried about the lead synth and the synth guitar solo - they need some softening to fit in the mix better I think. I was not trying for a Floyd vibe, but I’ll take any compliment like that. Thanks!

• @drez 😊😉 thanks for that snare tip. Hadn’t really thought about that, but some variation in the sound would help lend some sense of dynamics. Probably should vary the velocity level on some hits too.

• Here’s a tune I’ve been messing with the past few days and some Felix animations from 1928:

Shoutouts to everyone sharing presets in the Obsidian Megathread, @nkdvkng I know you hear a couple of yours in this jam😉

@kleptolia said:

Everybody: If I haven’t singled your track out for commendation, that doesn’t mean I didn’t like it, it just means there is a lot of music here to hear, and I have the attention span of a toddler who’s had Lucky Charms injected directly into his bloodstream.

That hits the nail on the head, same here.
    I’ve been coming back and listening through this thread every night this week, every time I hear something in a track that I didn’t notice or give much thought to before...my face is melted off completely at this point🔥🎧🔥

• @3sleeves again dope stuff... can't express how much that video fits to he song :-)) , in the middle of listening i realised my head is moving forwarf-backward to the rythm and i'm smiling :-)))

• Thanks as always @dendy
    Glad you dig this one🤘😎

• @Will that dub track is deep, got I and I feeling irie✌️😎 love it!

@drez Man, Six Years should be in a movie soundtrack! That build up, the drop around 1:12, and the way everything was mixed...🔥🔥🔥 Drums had a sort of Rush vibe, love the fills!

@LeeB I can’t help but get out of my seat and move around to your tracks! Clean sounds, infectious grooves!

@nkdvkng Between these dope tracks and those custom Obsidian patches you’re killing it man! Looking forward to that next one for sure.

I’ll get around to commenting on other posts sooner or later, really enjoying everything so far. There’s so much good music in this thread!!!
    Rock on everybody!🤘🤘🤘

• Wow, just got caught up. Really great stuff going on here.

• Thanks my brother! Appreciate you as always!

@3sleeves said:
    @Will that dub track is deep, got I and I feeling irie✌️😎 love it!

@drez Man, Six Years should be in a movie soundtrack! That build up, the drop around 1:12, and the way everything was mixed...🔥🔥🔥 Drums had a sort of Rush vibe, love the fills!

@LeeB I can’t help but get out of my seat and move around to your tracks! Clean sounds, infectious grooves!

@nkdvkng Between these dope tracks and those custom Obsidian patches you’re killing it man! Looking forward to that next one for sure.

I’ll get around to commenting on other posts sooner or later, really enjoying everything so far. There’s so much good music in this thread!!!
    Rock on everybody!🤘🤘🤘

• By no means is this complete. But I wanted to do something different. Felt pretty uninspired all week. Watched some synthwave tutorials and started this. It only makes sense being from Miami and Born in the 80s that I find a way to channel that Synthwave beauty lol

• All of these sound crisp and clean to my ears...well done, everyone. I love the way iOS music has enabled me to broaden my musical taste even further. Thanks. Might even have something to contribute soon.

• Happy New Year peeps, just made this for everyone here tonight:

✌️🤘🖖😁

• Sounds cool and looks... erm.. strange?...
    Thanks anyway. :D

• @Zupi said:
    Sounds cool and looks... erm.. strange?...

i would use term "psychedelic" - in best possible sense :+1:

• @dendy said:

@Zupi said:
    Sounds cool and looks... erm.. strange?...

i would use term "psychedelic" - in best possible sense :+1:

i dunno, i see little dancing ninjas on my horn all the time.

• I would say “do music, no drugs”...
    ...If it wasn’t for Marley... and a few others... a lot others to be precise.
    J/k :p

This discussion has been closed.