MIDI Export: OK with some programs, not with others

I guess this isn't a problem with NS2 "per se" but I'm finding exported MIDI files to be very "hit or miss" in terms of interoperability with other programs. For example, on the iPad, if I export and then "copy to Notion" it looks absolutely horrible and plays at breakneck speed, like whole notes got turned into 64th notes (or something - I can't tell exactly how fast it's going). If I open in TEFPad it kinda looks OK. If I transfer that file to the PC and open in Finale NotePad, it's the opposite problem - plays very slowly (like 64th notes are now whole notes), but if I open in MuseScore, it looks OK. Seems like the tempo information is getting lost or misinterpreted in some programs.

Comments

• Jim, could you try importing this file into Notion for me and see if it plays at 'breakneck speed'?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ormgjndwfy2by6/satie-gymnopedie 1.midi?dl=0

This file works fine for me in NS2, and I've had no problems importing MID files from NS1 either.

• edited January 2019

good test would be to take MIDI export from NS which plays wrong in Notion and try it open for example in Cubase on desktop - if inCubase it will be ok then it's task to fix propably for Notion dev...

• Yup. All good. We need to test this baby, and if the public can get involved too, all the better. :)

• @tom_tm said:
    Jim, could you try importing this file into Notion for me and see if it plays at 'breakneck speed'?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ormgjndwfy2by6/satie-gymnopedie 1.midi?dl=0

That works fine for me in Notion. I'll see if I can post the file that doesn't work later this evening. FWIW, it started in NS2, I.e by just playing notes into the sequencer, and was exported from there. It never existing anywhere else first.

To answer dendy: the "bad" file did open ok in several other apps including desktop Reason, so I agree this is probably a Notion problem.

• Okay. It sounds as if it could be a bug in Notion. Actually I've suggested that something like Notion should be incorporated into NS2 at some point, as there is no DAW available that has advanced synthesis capabilities as well as musical notation. I honestly believe the latter would catapult NS2 into the pro-territory rather than simply just 'advanced'.

• Here's the "bad" file:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gouen9fe813o4ct/A+g whistle song.mid?dl=0

Below are how the first few bars look in NS2 (just a normal part). And in Notion

• @JimHanks the 'bad' file is working fine in NS1. It's 150bpm. Sounds fine on playback.

• Right, and the "bad" file can be imported into another NS2 project no problem. I have work arounds for dealing with Notion (like import into Reason, export from Reason, then import that into Notion) so I'm not going to press this issue.

The Notion devs don't seem all that interested in user feedback (I sent a bug about missing transpose options ages ago and got an immediate response but sill hasn't been fixed), so that's that.

• That's a drag. I hope you get it sorted out eventually though. Notation is an important and yet often overlooked necessity of any 'professional' music app. It used to infuriate my wife when she suggested modifications to music I'd written in NS1, but then realised there was only a piano roll editor. These classically trained musicians.... ;-)