((NS2)) ✌🏼 After 7 Days.. Bugs n Features.. (edit: now After more time..)

edited January 2019 in Support

Hey Matt,
@Blip Interactive

This is my story so far with Nanostudio 2.. (after one whole week).

(Don’t have the time to go through, (not even a quarter) of the threads on this forum, so there may (or will) be duplicate requests etc).
Need to get these in now though, as some may make it into the 1st update..

———-

I have already dedicated a thread for my Appreciation of the app:
—> https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/223/dear-matt-nanostudio-2-🏼-not-so-nano-it-s-massive#latest

———-

NanoStudio 2:
(Bugs n Features).. In the order I came across them.

1, Groups Callapsable in sequencer view. (Already motioned by myself and others)

2, Easy(er) way (1 click) to get back to Audio/midi FX pages.

3, Hear Quantize (in real time) before having to press the “Quantize” button again.

4, Solo button in Obsidian view. For hearing/selecting a patch in isolation, without stopping the Sequencer etc.

5, Solo button in piano roll. (Mute would be nice also).

4, Piano roll keyboard playable. (Asked for by myself and others)

6, Icons or colours in the tracks (far left) for quick identification. Obsidian, Slate, Au etc.
All tracks look the same at a quick glance, have to read all the names/tittles to know which is which.

7, ^ Track text font a little bolder.

8, The metronome button/icon could control on/off, without having to open full “Play page”.

9, More colour choices..

10, Off/bypass button when AU fx is in full screen.

11, Option, when pressing stop, cursor reverts to where it was before pressing play.

12, Another eq with more bands, EQ 7B will do. (or add some to EQ 3B).

13, A way to scroll to the next/previous track, within the piano roll.  (Item 22 may solve that).

14, Hold/latch for Obsidian.

15, IAPs size is larger (sometimes much larger) than what is displayed in the store.
Before and After purchase.
Dance and Dubstep 1, said:
Before = 41MB.
After = 51MB.
(A little decompression is expected I guess)

HipHop & Trap 1 went from:
26MB to 60MB, Big difference. More than double.

Haven’t bought it yet, but Acoustic 2 is displayed as 126MB, wonder what the actual size is.

16, ReSlice not playing properly when recording. And not playing properly from loop start, after the recording. Plays fine when sequencer is not running.
Anyway, when I started recording, it played different notes (for a few seconds) to what I was pressing.
On playback, it is the same, so I have to move the 1st midi note forward slightly —>
(May do a extended thread for this, if needed)
I know it AUv3 so we have to expect stuff, but it may not be ReSlice, would be nice to know, I can easily get word over to them.

17, Move plugins up a bit. There is a lot of real estate at the top of the plugin area in full screen, where the “full screen” button is. Not sure all of that is needed for a single button.
... Also a button (or a way) to hide/shrink the bottom bar in that view.
So no need to scroll plugins up n down so much, if at all.

18, Pressing the apps “home” button a second time, could bring you back to last page you were on, eg; Audio FX page.

19, Nanostudio 2 definitely uses a lot of battery power. (Noticeable)

20, Can be a little tricky to write with the built-in keyboard. Double tap space bar, doesn’t give me full stop.
Placing the cursor is difficult at times.
No lines separating keys, means I sometimes/often press the surrounding one(s).

21, Offset % seems “off”.
I just wanted to play a 4 bar sample loop, triggering each bar with a separate midi note.
Placed the same sample into 4 Slate pads.

To get it playing correctly I had to set the offset % to unusual numbers.

Pad 1 = 0%. (0% corerect)
Pad 2 = 50%. (25% is logical)
Pad 3 = 71%. (50% is logical)
Pad 4 = 87%. (75% is logical)

Maybe the offset could also have a beats option.

22, Would be nice to have ability to see reference/another track, in the background, in the piano roll.

———-

Matt, any questions, don’t hesitate.

Now I’ve put out this thread, I may just add anything via emails.

———-

Not all users will necessarily experience the same bugs or have the same needs, (we all work in different ways).

———-

If anyone sees a need for a separate thread for any of the above, please feel free to start one.

There are a couple I may start/elaborate on, if needed.

———-

Cool!

“I don’t buy apps, to spend all my time on their forum(s)”

See yah!

———-

King

Comments

• edited December 2018

Very good feedback ! I would like to see added / fixed some of mentioned points too (1,3,8,9,11,21,22).. Especially 22, that would be game changer for my old, unreliable memory.

18/ something like that was initially there during development, but we all in beta team agreed after a while that it is confusing - we always got lost what to expect to be opened after tap on it .. so we pushed Matt to make those main buttons working simple way like now - tap and it takes you where it points.

• edited December 2018

@dendy said:
    Very good feedback!

... 18/ ... we always got lost what to expect to be opened after tap on it ...

Yes, that make sense!
    I guess I should have added the particular time for this use (for me) would be when saving. I like to save often, but have to tap, tap, tap back to where I was.

Maybe the homepage could give us the option to go back to that specific/last page..
    (1 tap instead of 2) and having to think lhow to get there”..

———-

King

• @King said:

This is something that has come up a few times and because I’m not seeing this on my device, I’d like to clarify, are you using AUm units (multiple?) or just the base NS2 instruments? If you’re only working with NS2 instruments, what device are you using?

• edited December 2018

@Stiksi said:

@King said:

This is something that has come up a few times and because I’m not seeing this on my device, I’d like to clarify, are you using AUm units (multiple?) or just the base NS2 instruments? If you’re only working with NS2 instruments, what device are you using?

TBH I have various projects with and without AUs.
    Didnt Test that at all.

However, it uses a lot, even when in the background (and not playing)

———-

Separately, but connected, I just (2 days ago) updated to iOS 12.11. Now my battery has gone stupid. Much more rapid that before I updated.
    I had this issue with iOS 10 or 11 something, and sat on the phone to Apple for ages, and had to go into the shop. The only cure was the next iOS version.

Reason I mention that ^ is because I can no longer do proper tests on NS2 battery usage.
    But it was definitely hungry before iOS 12.1.1.

Mini 2 - 12.1.1.

———-

King

———-

Added: another time I had a battery issue, I just let the iPad discharge fully and recharged it. Did it a couple times in a row, and it was fine after.

Can’t remember when or why!

• No.11 pleeeeeeease. Such a simple thing but I’m so used to that behaviour in other daws and would love to see a settings option for it.

• Very good points

• @King said:

@Stiksi said:

@King said:

TBH I have various projects with and without AUs.
    Didnt Test that at all.

However, it uses a lot, even when in the background (and not playing)

———-

Separately, but connected, I just (2 days ago) updated to iOS 12.11. Now my battery has gone stupid. Much more rapid that before I updated.
    I had this issue with iOS 10 or 11 something, and sat on the phone to Apple for ages, and had to go into the shop. The only cure was the next iOS version.

Reason I mention that ^ is because I can no longer do proper tests on NS2 battery usage.
    But it was definitely hungry before iOS 12.11.

Mini 2 - 12.11.

———-

King

———-

Added: another time I had a battery issue, I just let the iPad discharge fully and recharged it. Did it a couple times in a row, and it was fine after.

Can’t remember when or why!

Ok, sorry to hear that about 12.11, and thanks for the heads up! But if someone else is having battery drain and is up for doing a few tests, it would be very helpful.

• Great feedback. +10 for the tone.

Not all users will necessarily experience the same bugs or have the same needs, (we all work in different ways).

:+1:

4, Solo button in Obsidian view. For hearing/selecting a patch in isolation, without stopping the Sequencer etc.
    5, Solo button in piano roll. (Mute would be nice also).

Took me a while to get used to it but this is where the ever-present Instrument Dropdown really comes into its own. There are mute and solo buttons in there which you can always get to from the instrument view, part editor, etc.

11, Option, when pressing stop, cursor reverts to where it was before pressing play.

Maybe a good option for a double tap on PLAY during playback? Or hit REWIND during playback to mean "Stop and return to start"? Think the latter would break the current 'go back and keep playing' functionality.

FWIW, RECORD->UNDO already does this so some amount of work has been put into this already.

If optional, would vote for this to be directly in the play dialog, not tucked in settings->options.

12, Another eq with more bands, EQ 7B will do. (or add some to EQ 3B).

Just use two? Or three, I guess. :)

2, Easy(er) way (1 click) to get back to Audio/midi FX pages.
    13, A way to scroll to the next/previous track, within the piano roll. (Item 22 may solve that).

I've wanted the same, many times. Discussed during beta but we woulda kept the guy in beta until 2023 with all of our 'helpful' ideas. :tired_face:

Personally, now that I've adapted to using the Instrument Dropdown, I think the best (as-in quickest, hopefully) solution for this would be to change the way the Song and Mixer buttons work on the Instrument Dropdown's mute/solo page:

• Tapping the SONG button would take you into Part Editor for the track's part closest to the playhead. Granted, likely not trivial to implement in a way that would feel consistent to users because there would likely be occasional where am I? surprises.
    • Tapping MIX would take you to the Mixer -> Track Settings for that track. Perhaps this could eventually be extended via options toggle to take you to the track's Audio FX since in practice that's the bit you mess with most once things are cooking along with your song.
    • Or maybe there's a new tab for 'jumping'? Tapping it would reveal each track with six shortcuts for Audio FX, MIDI FX, Sends and IN/OUT for the mixer as well as (5) Instrument and (6) nearest part in the part editor.

I guess I should have added the particular time for this use (for me) would be when saving. I like to save often, but have to tap, tap, tap back to where I was.

:) Been bugging poor Matt about this since NS1. He's put a holy shit ton of work into AutoSave and I should just learn to trust it but it's reeeeeeally hard. For me: Double Tap "Project" == QuickSave (you don't actually enter the project menu—it just saves and leaves you where you were) would be sweet compulsive-saver relief.

• 14, Hold/latch for Obsidian.

Agree that this would be handy but since the app comes with a sequencer... just throw a long note into the piano roll and solo if needed. Absolutely not the same but it generally works.

Depending on the sound, you can also set the AMP RELEASE to infinite. If you want to be sure that you can get your original release value back, you can either remember it (or jot it down in the project notes or rename a track with the value) OR use the COPY function in the hamburger menu for that envelope. I do this a lot when messing with panels. Copy the original state as a back up and if my changes aren't doing it for me, paste it back in without needing to revert the entire patch.

• edited December 2018

16, ReSlice not playing properly when recording. And not playing properly from loop start, after the recording. Plays fine when sequencer is not running.
    Anyway, when I started recording, it played different notes (for a few seconds) to what I was pressing.
    On playback, it is the same, so I have to move the 1st midi note forward slightly —>
    (May do a extended thread for this, if needed)
    I know it AUv3 so we have to expect stuff, but it may not be ReSlice, would be nice to know, I can easily get word over to them.

Are you sure all of ReSlice’s arps are turned off? What you’re describing is exactly what happens when one of the arps is running and I haven’t noticed. ReSlice has no problem with recording and playback for me.

• @number37 said:

16, ReSlice not playing properly when recording. And not playing properly from loop start, after the recording. Plays fine when sequencer is

Are you sure all of ReSlice’s arps are turned off? What you’re describing is exactly what happens when one of the apps is running and I haven’t noticed. ReSlice has no problem with recording and playback for me.

Wow that is most probably the case. I had same issue just haven't had enoug time to investigate it. You saved my time, thanks :-)

• edited December 2018

@Stiksi said:

Ok, sorry to hear that about 12.11, and thanks for the heads up!

Cheers!

Just a quick update on this ^.
    The following morning, everything is back to normal (exluding NS2).

I heard it said that sometimes this can be when the iPad is settling back down after an update. This seems to be the case!
    Took 48-ish hours, but regular battery usage is fine again (in fact it may just be a little better than before the update).

I’ll give it some more settling time before any NS2 tests.

“So iOS 12.1.1 seems cool otherwise”

———-

Cheers u guys, I may make a couple threads for some of the points you’ve highlighted.

But had to mention iOS 12.1.1 quickly, so not to put anyone off updating.

Disclaimer: I’m also not telling anyone to update either, (do so at your own will).
    ... but I did, and it’s fine!

———

Quicky!
    Regarding ReSlice:
    1, First thing I tried was the Arp.
    2, I can use it (ReSlice) in my other 2 main DAWs.
    3, If the Sequencer is started before the loop, (eg; move the part to say, bar 2) it plays fine on first run, but once it loops, that’s it.

It only plays the incorrectness that was recorded/heard during recording.
    It only happens once record is pressed.

(I’ll start a new “test project” and see what’s what)

When I get a good chance I’ll start another thread, with some screen shots I have already, etc..

———

King

• Hey Matt,
    @Blip Interactive

Some more stuff:

B1, Import Wavetables.

B2, Wavetable display, with real-time movement (position etc).

B3, Patch list to auto-scroll up, instead of having to use your finger to scroll after reaching the bottom of the 9-10 displayed presets.
    Or next and previous arrows, like the performance page.

B4, Obsidian to stay in menus, until I click elsewhere on the screen, e.g; Oscillator type.

B5, A plugin map:
    I asked another developer for this a long time ago.
    It would be nice to see what plugins or built-in FX etc, I/we are using, and where they are, and if they are switched on or not.
    Many times they are not even needed anymore and can be deleted, but who can remember where they all are without having to go through each track.
    A map accessed via the settings page or somewhere would work.
    This is a major resource help/benefit.
    Possibly even some CPU meters on the map for individual tracks or plugins etc.

B6, Snap note to grid arrows/function, along the horizontal X axis. Like the ones for the Y (vertical).
    Double arrows could snap to bars (like the octaves on the Y axis).
    Single to the grid setting.

B7, Notepad is brill. (Compliments!)

B8, Plays M4A. (Compliments!) (what a space saver)

B9, Keyboard play note area. Tricky for some chord finger position. White notes should go all the way up. (Tradition).

B10, Shrink/enlarge tracks individually e.g; the send effects take up too much unnecessary room height.

B11, Select “Doubled” not working.
    An app I’m sending midi from, creates a few (of the same) note, on top of each other, but I have to delete them manually.
    ...(Need to contact “the” dev about that too).

Anyway, this app is ... Actually! let me write the sweet stuff later in my other thread.

Cheers,

King

• edited January 2019

It doesn't work for you ? I tried it and it works perfectly, it selects all doubled notes, leaves unselected just single copy, so i can easily delete all duplicated notes in part with 3 taps...

• @dendy said:

It doesn't work for you ? I tried it and it works perfectly, it selects all doubled notes, leaves unselected just single copy, so i can easily delete all duplicated notes in part with 3 taps...

Cheers I’ll take another look later-later..
    Start a new (Test) project etc..

King

• edited January 2019

cool, ok thanks - anyway if something with "select > doubled, then delete" would not work as expected, eventually please do attach here also some example test project so we can investigate it ;)

Btw. B1 - oooh i would LOVE this sooooo much :) I was annoying Matt with this during developement :mrgreen:

• Sussed it!

When I used the other app for midi, I purposely recorded with quantise off (for Arp n strumming etc).
    NS2 will only pick up on notes that have the same start time..

In my tests, “Doubled” seem to choose random which note to delete.
    I created 2 notes with different lengths and overlayed them, and it always chose the shorter one to delete, no matter how I re-overlayed the notes.

But on the track (where I originally needed the feature) it chose the longer to delete.

Would Love to know how Nano decides which to delete, as it may be the one(s) you want to keep.

King

• B5, A plugin map:
    I asked another developer for this a long time ago.
    It would be nice to see what plugins or built-in FX etc, I/we are using, and where they are, and if they are switched on or not.
    Many times they are not even needed anymore and can be deleted, but who can remember where they all are without having to go through each track.
    A map accessed via the settings page or somewhere would work.
    This is a major resource help/benefit.
    Possibly even some CPU meters on the map for individual tracks or plugins etc.

This would also be really useful when sharing projects. Particularly if the user could copy the map list as text. That way I could let my partner know up front what third party plugins are required to run the project. Or paste that list into a forum post when sharing the project publicly.

Similarly, it would be handy for sharing here on the forum when running into and reporting nebulous issues.

If the 'plugin map' was interactive so that each plugin could be toggled on/off directly from the map view, it could be really handy for troubleshooting AU related problems. And/or isolating CPU hungry resources.