Midi files management

Hi,
I noticed that the midi files I save in the project are not available when I’m in another project, which can be very frustrating when you just made a copy of your project. And when I choose “other project” in the menu directory and select the project where I saved my midi files, the folders are empty ( a DRUM folder and a BASS folder to store my midi files). Moreover, I used the file management in the settings menu to fetch my midi files and copy them to the project I was working on, but here too I only found empty folders, none of my midi files were here. Of course if I’m in the project where I first saved my midi files, I have access to them and they are all here. But why is it impossible to open a midi file save in another project ? Why can I see the folders I created but once opened they are empty ? At least they should be available from the file management menu, like the audio files. Is there a reason to this or should I proceed differently?

Comments

• edited January 2019

Projects, although they are folders physically, are not allowed to be browsed from within Nanostudio - to avoid that user coincidently deletes some of system files inside project folder.

Fact that you are able to copy anything there using "outside of NS" methods like Apple Files is just side effect.. But you should not put manually anything you want to reuse "inside" some project.

For this purposes is folder "Library" - this is place where you should put all your files (midi, samples) which you want to re-use across more projects ..

I'm even not sure (didn't tried it) what happens in case you put manually some stuff into project folder, and then you use "Archive project" functinality (which makes self-contained package of project including all samples used in project for sharing of whole project) - i'm not sure if those files manually added outside of NS will be packed to that archive. Maybe not.

Simply consider everything inside project folder as internal Nanostudio's stuff, and better do not put there any own files. Use Library for that purpose ;-)

• @dendy
    Thank you for the explanation. I preferred to use the project folder so all the samples I import for the project I’m working on can be deleted once the project finished (or abandoned;-)). I already filled the library with a LOT of folder and samples meant to be used whichever the project is.
    I guess I will create a project folder in the Library so I can free some storage easily.

• i suggest you - never delete anything :lol:
    Just categorize things, backup them ...

many times i found some years old forgotten stuff and it inspired me for creating new track :-) You never know when something which started just as random experiment can turn into great track :-)

• I’m guessing Cyril’s issue was a desire for tidy file management.
    I think, as he hinted, the solution lies in fastidiously formatted file folders

• yeah i have same desire.. sometimes i think i have some form of autism, i have compulsive need to have everything deeply categorised and ordered - inside my iPad and on my desk too :lol:

• @dendy said:
    i suggest you - never delete anything :lol:
    Just categorize things, backup them ...

many times i found some years old forgotten stuff and it inspired me for creating new track :-) You never know when something which started just as random experiment can turn into great track :-)

Yes, it’s absolutely true. But in my case, the reason I need to store audio in the right place so I can delete it once my project is finished is because I import a lot of loops chosen only for the session I’m working on (they fit the tempo, the key) and I know I won’t use them again. It’s an habit I got with BM2, I used to build huge loops banks, so my projects were extremely heavy at the end. Therefore I needed to separate the permanent audio files, drum samples for example, from the temporary ones.
    I realize I should loose this habit when working with NS2 because Slate, as good as it is, is not fit to be a “loop launcher” like the banks from Beatmaker can be. But with the lack of audio track, for now, loading samples in Slate is a good way to use some loops !

• edited January 2019

Yes , in NS you can use a bit different approach

Hold in mind - until you do not "archive" your project (or explicitly do not SAVE slate bank or obsidian patch) - all samples used in project are not saved into project, just relative links to their location are stored, so project file is still very small.

So in fact best workflow for you would be:

• create some folder in library like /tmp_loops/ , put all your temporary audio files there
    • then use it in as many projects as you want
    • when you are sure some project is worth to continue with, perform "archive" action - this packs all USED samples INSIDE project folder (it creates packed *.nsa file which contains all used sampels except of factory / iap ones)
    • then delete rest of unarchived projects + whole /tmp_loops/ folder

hope it helps ;)

• @Cyril said:
    Slate, as good as it is, is not fit to be a “loop launcher” like the banks from Beatmaker can be. But with the lack of audio track, for now, loading samples in Slate is a good way to use some loops !

I don't use BM and you got me interested, what do you mean with loop launcher?

• edited January 2019

@Stiksi said:

@Cyril said:
    Slate, as good as it is, is not fit to be a “loop launcher” like the banks from Beatmaker can be. But with the lack of audio track, for now, loading samples in Slate is a good way to use some loops !

In BM2 there was "auto loop" mode for pad. This was pretty handy particulary for live playing on stage, because it was like clip launcher in Live - you hit pad and it started loop sample until you did not hit it again which stopped playing that sample. Additionaly it was possible to set bar length of looped sample, so you was able for example take 1 bar long loop, set loop duration to 4 bars and then after you hit pad, it triggered automaticaly that loop ever 4th bar

Very nice for live playing :)

• @dendy said:

• when you are sure some project is worth to continue with, perform "archive" action - this packs all USED samples INSIDE project folder (it creates packed *.nsa file which contains all used sampels except of factory / iap ones)
    • then delete rest of unarchived projects + whole /tmp_loops/ folder

hope it helps ;)

Yes, thanks ! I didn’t finish any definitive track so far, so I don’t know this “archive” function, but know I did. And as for the “not saving” Slate kits, NS2 behaves like BM3. As long as you don’t save your bank/kit, the app doesn’t create any extra audio files. And when you have finished your track, you save your project and just check “with samples”, so you have the equivalent of the “archive” in NS2.

• @Stiksi said:

@Cyril said:

Without getting into the details of the what is a bank in BM3 (check the summary of the manual), and to give you a general idea of what I mean by a loop,launcher, a bank in BM3 can behave like Launchpad, with live time stretching, slicing and chopping...
    I don’t expect Slate to offer the same functions that a bank in BM3, it’s not meant to be. But it would need just a couple of extra features to push Slate to the next level. As I see it now, adding time stretching and pitch shifting would be the more important thing. Then just some small additions to the audio editor and the looping possibilities. Again, I don’t expect to have a full sampler, I would be perfectly happy just to have the features I mentioned. If Retronyms can do it, well... I guess NS2 does too ! 😁

• edited January 2019

Cyril: Questions is, if stuff you described wouldn't be better covered by proper "Ableton Live Session" clone .. simply different view on sequencer, optimalised for live performance ..

because i think (i hope) this will be sooner or later (ok probably later, than sooner :)) topic ... maybe next big thing after audio tracks ? Who knows (just my speculations and fantasies, not official Blip Interactive plans :) !)

• @Cyril said:

@Stiksi said:

@Cyril said:

Without getting into the details of the what is a bank in BM3 (check the summary of the manual), and to give you a general idea of what I mean by a loop,launcher, a bank in BM3 can behave like Launchpad, with live time stretching, slicing and chopping...
    I don’t expect Slate to offer the same functions that a bank in BM3, it’s not meant to be. But it would need just a couple of extra features to push Slate to the next level. As I see it now, adding time stretching and pitch shifting would be the more important thing. Then just some small additions to the audio editor and the looping possibilities. Again, I don’t expect to have a full sampler, I would be perfectly happy just to have the features I mentioned. If Retronyms can do it, well... I guess NS2 does too ! 😁

Thanks for the explanation, that does sound cool!

• @dendy said:
    Cyril: Questions is, if stuff you described wouldn't be better covered by proper "Ableton Live Session" clone .. simply different view on sequencer, optimalised for live performance ..

because i think (i hope) this will be sooner or later (ok probably later, than sooner :)) topic ... maybe next big thing after audio tracks ? Who knows (just my speculations and fantasies, not official Blip Interactive plans :) !)

Yes, you’re absolutely right. The thing is, I really got into (bedroom) music production with iOS (after 20 years of tries and abandons). I adopted BM2, its workflow suited me perfectly : midi on one side, and on the other, all the audio coming from my other apps loaded in the pads, to loop, tweak, resample and so on... So, about the Ableton Live approach, let’s say that BM3 and its scene mode do not “boost” my work. It’s nice and clever, no doubt, but I still work in a linear way. In some case the “Live approach” (combination of scene mode and song mode) is a major asset and it really helps to keep the inspiration flowing but perhaps I’m not totally embracing the essence of this workflow... but I’ll get there ! And no doubt it’s this approach I’m confortable with, for example I never got into Cubasis. And I use Auria just to mix the final version of my tracks, but I never was able to create something from scratch with it.
    I got NS2 when I saw the video showing the parameters automation window and I really dig its slick interface. And when I saw Slate, I was pretty sure this app would satisfy me. Now let’s wait and see what will bring to us the next update...