Does anyone experience this?

Just wondering why when I’m simply checking out the progress of different songs...just to listen, no tweaking or adjustments made and when I close a song to load another there’s the popup every time if I want to save the “changes” and with other songs there are no popups? :)
Some songs ask me every time if i want to save the changes that I never made =)
Enjoying the experience anyways 👍🏻

Comments

• edited January 2019

Noticed this too - i think this is caused by some AUs. Looks like some of them report to host changes of their internal status even when there is no change...

• Yeah, I’ve noticed this with songs that have AU. Songs with just Obsidian or Slate don’t do this. I usually press Save to make the AUv3s happy.

• usually press Save to make the AUv3s happy.

Or in other words, you slap that damn AU to make it happy.

• edited January 2019

@dendy said:
    Noticed this too - i think this is caused by some AUs. Looks like some of them report to host changes of their internal status even when there is no change...

Ok that makes sense, I tend to use AUs a bit...but I have one song with only two tracks of Moog Model D and there’s no pop up after listening to it with no alterations to the song? :)
    Thanks

• @SlapHappy said:
    Yeah, I’ve noticed this with songs that have AU. Songs with just Obsidian or Slate don’t do this. I usually press Save to make the AUv3s happy.

I always press Save too just to be safe :)

• If you change the octave of the keyboard NS2 sees this as a change. Open a default Obsidian and change the octave of the keyboard. The name of the Obsidian patch will get an asterisk added and you will get that message when you close the project.

• edited January 2019

@anickt yes, this is by design, keyboard scroll position is saved with patch - if you check factory patches, bass patches are usually scrolled around c0-c2 area where lead or pad patches are scrolled higher - so you are always in patch "sweet spot" on keyboard when you're switching between patches

that's intentional :-)

• @dendy said:
    @anickt yes, this is by design, keyboard scroll position is saved with patch - if you check factory patches, bass patches are usually scrolled around c0-c2 area where lead or pad patches are scrolled higher - so you are always in patch "sweet spot" on keyboard when you're switching between patches

that's intentional :-)

Exactly! That may be the answer to the OP.

• edited January 2019

Pretty sure it’s an Au protocol. Just played this song through to end..pressed stop, rewind and then “Load” and got the pop up for saving changes
    This song is all Au

• edited January 2019

OK - I see it. Just what you’re saying

• @dendy said:

usually press Save to make the AUv3s happy.

Or in other words, you slap that damn AU to make it happy.

Exactly. I’m glad you get me. 👍🏻

• @Arpseechord said:
    Ok that makes sense, I tend to use AUs a bit...but I have one song with only two tracks of Moog Model D and there’s no pop up after listening to it with no alterations to the song? :)
    Thanks

It's not a global/default AU behavior so you won't see it with some of them. Seems like some others do some sort of internal updating that NS sees as a change it should save.

• maybe automation ? Do you use any automation of Model D in those projects whuch does not detect any changes during playback ?

• @dendy said:
    maybe automation ? Do you use any automation of Model D in those projects whuch does not detect any changes during playback ?

No automation just tweaked presets I’ve made. Actually I have one song with three instances of Model D weaving in and out in melodies and there’s no problem when I just listen to it[ no popup)

• @Will said:

@Arpseechord said:
    Thanks

It's not a global/default AU behavior so you won't see it with some of them. Seems like some others do some sort of internal updating that NS sees as a change it should save.

Yes I’ve noticed this using different AUs. Guess the different behaviours of AUs do keep us alert and on our toes, variety is the spice of life etc....😀

• edited January 2019

ok, it's not different per AU - it's really just about automation, host probably doesn't have way to identify if change reported by plugin was caused just by automation or also by some user's tweak in plugin UI.

Anyway i reported it to Matt, maybe there is some way to fix this or at least to make it happen less often...

• edited January 2019

There is another side effect on this problem as well, I have noticed. Sometimes, if I open a song but I don't change anything in it, it still asks me to save the song before choosing another one to open.

• edited January 2019

@dendy said:
    ok, it's not different per AU - it's really just about automation, host probably doesn't have way to identify if change reported by plugin was caused just by automation or also by some user's tweak in plugin UI.

Anyway i reported it to Matt, maybe there is some way to fix this or at least to make it happen less often...

Thanks for looking into it dendy! Just to clarify I haven’t used automation in any song.
    Some songs are fully au while others are a blend of NS2 plus some au.

• @Nyanko said:
    There is another side effect on this problem as well, I have noticed. Sometimes, if I open a song but I don't change anything in it, it still asks me to save the song before choosing another one to open.

Thanks for reporting, this backs up our findings

• Yes, it is due to AU automation. NanoStudio listens to AU parameter changes and marks the project as modified if a parameter is changed (eg. via the AU's own editor UI), since this potentially has an effect on the sound of the project- same as changing a parameter in Obsidian. The problem is that the same parameter changes are sent out by the AU when one is changed via automation, and for the life of me I couldn't find a way of making a distinction between the two.

• @Blip Interactive said:
    Yes, it is due to AU automation. NanoStudio listens to AU parameter changes and marks the project as modified if a parameter is changed (eg. via the AU's own editor UI), since this potentially has an effect on the sound of the project- same as changing a parameter in Obsidian. The problem is that the same parameter changes are sent out by the AU when one is changed via automation, and for the life of me I couldn't find a way of making a distinction between the two.

Thanks for the explanation and your hard work..much appreciated 🎼👍🏻