Feature requests, bug reports and forum

Comments

• Mine's a photo - I just suck at lighting.

• great post, Matt. The moments I’ve managed to steal with NS2 so far have been inspiring. Nearly finished editing my book (I was pianoyan on the old forum), so I don’t have the time to dive in deeply...yet. Love it so far, though.

• Yay Ian - I've now got a face to the name. You're the dog yeah?

• Love the app, love your approach to setting the direction for quality feedback from users!

• @Blip Interactive said:
    Yay Ian - I've now got a face to the name. You're the dog yeah?

Of course. Don’t diss my human, though. I need him to operate the touchscreen.

• Hi,
    It would be nice to be able to save macro affectation for AU instrument, independently of the instrument preset. Once you chose your dozen of parameters you want to control /automate, it’s a bit annoying to redo the process each time you change the preset.
    And happy new year to you all !

• @Cyril you actuall CAN do this :-)

• in macro screen tap top right hamburger menu
    • tap any macro knob
    • in left list with macro knobs scroll down to "all macros", tap it
    • at right side tap "save default map"

now all patches of that instrument would be loaded with this macro mappimg

it is saved per-instrument

• @dendy said:
    @Cyril you actuall CAN do this :-)

• in macro screen tap top right hamburger menu
    • tap any macro knob
    • in left list with macro knobs scroll down to "all macros", tap it
    • at right side tap "save default map"

now all patches of that instrument would be loaded with this macro mappimg

it is saved per-instrument

Fantastic ! Thanks a lot ! (sorry I didn’t see it🤭)

• You're welcome ;-) It's easy to overlook some deep detail in NS2 because there is SOOO much goodness hidden inside :)

• Possibly user error...but when I edit in pianoroll, it always gives me bar numbers starting at 1, even if I'm editing a section at bar 73. What am I doing wrong, gurus?

• edited January 2019

numbering inside part editor is relative to that part, those numbers are not bars of whole song but bars of edited part...

think about it - it would be much harder to get orientation inside part editor - to get info what is your current position inside part - if that would be global song position bars :-)

althouh - probably small grey real song bar number near part bar number would be handy :-)

• @dendy said:
    numbering inside part editor is relative to that part, those numbers are not bars of whole song but bars of edited part...

think about it - it would be much harder to get orientation inside part editor - to get info what is your current position inside part - if that would be global song position bars :-)

althouh - probably small grey real song bar number near part bar number would be handy :-)

You can also just look at the time display. I can understand why the timeline is not shown in the part editor when a single part can exist in multiple places and forms at once if it's linked or looped but it could work if the timeline would hide in the part editor when you link or loop.

• edited January 2019

@Stiksi
    single part can exist in multiple places

oh yes, linked parts i forgot.. or also cycled parts, yes things can get pretty complicated

watching time display is best dolution :)

• Thanks, @dendy and @Stiksi. You're right, it's better to leave it. I will train myself to look at the timeline, not at the pianoroll. I always think in terms of the bars I'm working on in relation to the whole. Hey, it's the first time NS2 hasn't dovetailed perfectly with my preferred way of working, so I'm certainly not complaining!

• So it doesn’t get hidden... User defined folders in patch bank management! A must have! A random bollocks patch title generator would be a cool feature too. ;-)

• I'm about to decide whether to purchase NS2 but first I'd like to make sure what's currently supported because I don't seem to be able to get the exact information from the NS2 manual.
    My setup is a number of hardware groove boxes all linked by MIDI, going to my iPad with alternatively either KORG Gadget or Grooverider GR-16 following MIDI Clock, so whatever I do on the hardware (Start/Stop/Continue/Transport) will be followed on the iPad.
    NS2 has no audio tracks so following MIDI clock is no problem technically but does it actually work this way?
    If not, can a rough estimate be given on when this feature might be added?
    Thanks a lot & best regards

• edited January 2019

@Velocity127 Currently only sync option is Ableton link, NS2 doesn't send / receiv midi clock or MMC. For sure it is on todo list but when, no idea..

Btw there is app "link to midi" which works as Link -> MIDI clock translator, but didn't tested it, no idea how it is reliable

• @tom_tm said:
    So it doesn’t get hidden... User defined folders in patch bank management! A must have! A random bollocks patch title generator would be a cool feature too. ;-)

Haha. I would double second this! Great idea! Starring for favorites and such would be awesome too! But we all know Matt is the one man arme behind NS2 - so this will be considered, decided and takes time...

• @dendy said:
    @Velocity127 Currently only sync option is Ableton link, NS2 doesn't send / receiv midi clock or MMC. For sure it is on todo list but when, no idea..

Btw there is app "link to midi" which works as Link -> MIDI clock translator, but didn't tested it, no idea how it is reliable

The only app that translates Link to MIDI clock is "MIDI Link Sync" and if both source and destination are running forever, it works fine. But it will neither synchronise the playing position nor start or stop in sync with the source, and in addition to that it's yet another app that has to run in the background.

You start the source and the destination won't start, and when both are running you stop the source and the destination won't stop. Link is unfortunately no replacement for MIDI clock, both have their valid applications.
    Like said, Gadget and Groove Rider are good examples, the latter even has an excellent fine-tuning option to correct for any latency so whatever happens, all machines will be in perfect sync and it's a real joy to use <3

• @Velocity127 Thanks for info, i somehow expected that it will be not reliable solution (that link 2 midi app). So holding fingers crossed for adding MIDI sync / MMC rather sooner than later ..,

• @dendy I wouldn't even say that MIDI Link Sync doesn't do its job well, it's more akin to Ableton LINK being built for a different scenario in which any LINK member can dictate position and tempo, with no intent of "master" and "slave" to start at the same time at the same position.
    Even Start/Stop provision in LINK V3 doesn't change that.
    Excerpt from the LINK description:
    ... As every application handles start and stop commands according to its capabilities and quantization, it is not expected that applications start or stop at the same time. Rather every application should start according to its quantum and phase.
    Both LINK and MIDI Clock Sync will remain the few valid options for inter-device and inter-app syncing in the foreseeable future. Most hardware sequencers, arpeggiators, groove boxes etc. only support sending (and sometimes receiving) MIDI clock.
    LINK has much better developer documentation and a well-done library so I guess that's why more apps have LINK and not MIDI Clock Sync, although there are good libraries for Clock Sync support available as well.
    As you say, let's hope and wait :)

• edited January 2019

As you say, let's hope and wait

This :) Btw I see big usability of MIDI clock out also for bpm synced arpeggaitors and LFOs on hw synths, so this is on "wishlist" too :)

• @david_2019 said:

@tom_tm said:
    So it doesn’t get hidden... User defined folders in patch bank management! A must have! A random bollocks patch title generator would be a cool feature too. ;-)

Haha. I would double second this! Great idea! Starring for favorites and such would be awesome too! But we all know Matt is the one man arme behind NS2 - so this will be considered, decided and takes time...

Apparently you can already add your own user folders if you use WebDAV, which is the new updated alternative to NanoSync. So if you don’t mind linking your iPad to your PC, this is the current workaround.

• Is it possible to get AUv3’s to be ‘searchable’ and/or categorized (sub folders for eq, compressors, delays, reverb, etc ) because I’m noticing for whatever reason they aren’t truly alphabetical so simply hitting the letters to the right isn’t getting me what I’m looking for. Thanks

• @T4H said:
    Is it possible to get AUv3’s to be ‘searchable’ and/or categorized (sub folders for eq, compressors, delays, reverb, etc ) because I’m noticing for whatever reason they aren’t truly alphabetical so simply hitting the letters to the right isn’t getting me what I’m looking for. Thanks

The ordering issue has been reported here: https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/321/

Would be great if AUv3 effects published some standard set of categories like EQ, Delay but imagine that would hit a problem quickly when it comes to multi-effect and not-your-mama's effect apps like Turnado, etc.

• @Will said:

@T4H said:

Would be great if AUv3 effects published some standard set of categories like EQ, Delay but imagine that would hit a problem quickly when it comes to multi-effect and not-your-mama's effect apps like Turnado, etc.

Multi-effect would be a pretty standard category.

• Can we please let the topics contains postings to the respective topic?
    This is not only "hygienic" but realy, realy helps to find stuff!
    It is required for a forum, IMHO.

This topic is about "Feature requests, bug reports and forum" and how to handle them.
    It is NOT about some single instances of those points, better open own topics for that.

• Anyway, I am still missing the promised categories, @Blip Interactive

The forum does sadly not show at what date something was posted (that should be fixed as well!), but it was in December ;-)

@Blip Interactive said:
    Next week I'll setup some better categories for feature requests and bug reports and consolidate a lot on this information so each feature request and bug report gets its own thread so we can all track its progress, share ideas and hopefully arrive at agreeable solutions.

• Anyway, I am still missing the promised categories, @Blip Interactive

The forum does sadly not show at what date something was posted (that should be fixed as well!), but you wrote that in December ;-)

@Blip Interactive said:
    Next week I'll setup some better categories for feature requests and bug reports and consolidate a lot on this information so each feature request and bug report gets its own thread so we can all track its progress, share ideas and hopefully arrive at agreeable solutions.

Many thanks!

• edited January 2019

@tja
    It is NOT about some single instances of those points, better open own topics for that.

definitely agree, but you know.. users are users, they see topic, they post into topic :-))

i will try move every new bug / FR added here to it's own topic..

Anyway, I am still missing the promised categories, @Blip Interactive The forum does sadly not show at what date something was posted (that should be fixed as well!), but it was in December ;-)

yeah but matt is currently lost in "coding black hole" - trying to add / fix as much stuff as possible ... we are holding him locked in basement without internet access, just with water, food, toilet and computer.. After he delivers update, we will allow him to play with forum for a while..
    :trollface: