Need SF2 or SFZ player, or converter

I bought the acoustic IAP's , but the sound is not so good for me. I have "all" DAW's for the IPAD, but NS2 is very good, because of the note editor. It is the best note editor.
Very fast scrolling
Very fast zooming
The note editor is perfect
The dark background is perfect
The handling is very good

There is the bs-16i, but the cpu usage is too high, when i use lots of instances (AuV3).

The SF2, SFZ can me manually add to the sampler but it is lots of work with lots of Sounds.
I am only a user, not a sound programmer. So i would like to get sounds ready to play.

Is there any way to get high quality sounds in NS2 ?

Comments

• edited January 2019

IAPs are currently best available sounds.. it's too early, maybe later some bigger preset making company will join the game ?

Btw can you please elaborate more about what types of sounds you found not enough good or missing in IAPs ? Maybe more speciffic feedback could help for making next IAPs better ;-) Any feedback and tips what could be improved is always welcome !

Regarding soundfonds, i'm afraid only solution for now is BS16i, build in SF2/SFZ player is not planned for now.

Another option is AudioLayer AU sampler from VirSyn, i did read it is capable of importing EXS patches, but didn't tried it.

• The IAP sounds are ok, but the quality must be more better.
    1-3 very good Pianos, 1-3 very good acoustic guitars, Some very good ePianos (80s DX ePianos).
    There are no good ePianos, sorry.......
    A good Sax with air. The Saxes with the IAP are no saxes........

Here are very good soundfonts https://sites.google.com/site/soundfonts4u/
    In the acoustic guitar there is a Tyros Guitar which is very good for me.

I have a Yamaha Genos and a Ketron SD40. That is my reference for sound quality. The sounds don't must have hundreds of layers, but the ground sound must be good. So it is possible to get good sounds with not so big memory usage.

When i use a keyboard with the IPAD, there must be good sounds to be played.
    When i use my soundfonts i can instrument all genres of GM Midi Files and it sounds for an Ipad very good. The sounds must be as good that they can be used as an Expander.

For Drums Slate is too very good !

• Ok, thanks for feedback !

• Personally i dont think the sound in that video sounds so great. It reminds me too much of so many programs that rely solely on fx, in this case the reverb. I have heard that sound in many apps. That one sounds decent because it uses multisamples i think.

You can map wav files very easily in NS2 the only problem is that you have to rename every file with the note you want it mapped to. It is a pain sure but i dont think the problem is sound quality. I think it is ease of use. Sound fonts are abundant for free on the web and are easy to use with an appropriate player. I think maybe that is your real issue? Ease of use instead of sound quality. There are batch converters available i am sure from soundfont to wav. The problem is renaming so they map inside NS2. I am not sure there is much to be done about that.

• @Donny_2017 said:
    There is the bs-16i, but the cpu usage is too high, when i use lots of instances (AuV3).

What model iPad do you have? This will make a big difference in the CPU and number of AUv3 tracks. If you are on an older iPad, you should consider saving CPU demand by recording parts to Audio in Slate. This is much like the standard technique of bouncing down a track used in tape recording.

The SF2, SFZ can me manually add to the sampler but it is lots of work with lots of Sounds.
    I am only a user, not a sound programmer. So i would like to get sounds ready to play.
    Is there any way to get high quality sounds in NS2 ?

Sound quality is very subjective, and any preset can be very good or not very good for a particular project. I highly recommend that you take another look at the IAP presets. You say you are not a sound designer, but I think that all electronic musicians should be familiar with the basics. The IAP offer a good chance to tailer the sounds by tweaking paramaters. You can adjust the attack/decay/sustain/release to change the character of how the samples play. Also adjusting the FX used can help tailer a sound to the piece you are working on. Another option, which is not too difficult to learn, is to create presets from samples of instruments, keyboards, or sample packs you may already have. The advantage is that you can have all 3 oscillators using samples in 3 velocity layers. There is a lot of potential there.

bs-16i is probably the best bet for playing soundfonts on iOS. For Piano, the IAP are a start and good for EDM, Pop, or Hip Hop, but there are better apps for more high quality piano sound, such as CMP Grand Piano, Grand Piano HD, iGrand Piano, or Ravenscroft 275. Saxophone has long been one of the most difficult presets to create for keyboards. I have some I like on my Roland Integra 7, but on iOS Sensual Sax is probably the best.

• SlapHappy, i have an IPAD PRO 11 and that doesn't work for DAW. The CPU usage is so high that the CPU is overheated. Apple has no interesst to fix it , because they say, the Pro is ok. That is wrong. They sale defect IPADs. I use an IPad Air2.
    OBSIDIAN is a fantastic instrument. I use the ADSR, but i don't use the sound programming with oscillator for making sounds.
    Piano sounds are a problem because of the high memory usage, i know. I have the Ravenscroft and it sounds very good, but it uses 50% CPU. The IK Multimedia Pianos are very good, but no AuV3.
    I try to use only AuV3 instruments because thats like the vsti on PC. It load all together when i load the song.

Nomzai, i have to loop every wave file in Obsidian ? I watched for the Soundfont waves in an editor. Such a soundfont has lots of waves in it. But i will try to make one instrument to NS2.

• edited January 2019

@Donny_2017
    Apple has no interesst to fix it

no, no ! There is light at the end of tunnel :-) Users reported that this PRO cpu load issue is already fixed in new iOS BETA version so it's just matter of time when fix will be released...

I have the Ravenscroft and it sounds very good, but it uses 50% CPU.

This will be a LOT less after that fix ;) Ravenscroft eats just approx 30% cpu on my iPad AIR 1 ... Btw try turn off build in reverb in Ravenscroft, that helps a lot ! Nanostudio build in reverb is pretty good too and significantly much CPU friendly..

Anyway after next iOS update all your CPU related issues will be most probably gone, you have pretty powerfull device :-) Actually CPU in your iPad have same power like cpu in my 2015 macbook pro :-)) Just a bit patience, fix from Apple is on the way :-)

• With the fix that is great when this comes. I was thinking about buying a Surface Pro 6, because of the bad Apple support. Now i will wait.... Thank you very much !!!!
    With the Reverb is a good Idea, i will try that.

• I have 2018 12” iPad Pro and have not had a problem with AUv3 apps & CPU. On my iPad Air 1 I was able to get 7-8 AUv3 instances before audio crackles happened. However I usually take the approach of ‘commiting to tape’ (i.e. audio clips in Slate) ASAP. For one this will prevent CPU demand from getting too high, and secondly I don’t trust the future of iOS & apps to trust AUv3 funtionality for archiving purposes. If for example I come back to an old track and it relied upon an app that no longer works (thinking Alchemy), then I’d have big problems. For me, AUv3 apps are nice for composition, but when the track is completed I record all the audio in Slate (also Audio Tracks in the future). Then the project can be safely archived without worry about some future changes to iOS and abandoned support, or what ever. That is probably a bit paranoid, but I feel it is a safer way to do things. Also the AUv3 track and EXT MIDI tracks for IAA apps will not be deleted. If, as in a Live situation, I want to perform the lead all I have to do is Mute the Slate track that has the Lead Audio Clips.

• T4HT4H
    edited January 2019

@dendy said:
    Another option is AudioLayer AU sampler from VirSyn, i did read it is capable of importing EXS patches, but didn't tried it.

Yes it is, this is how I’ve gotten all of my AudioLayer kits. I build them in logic and then import them into AudioLayer. Some EXS patches aren’t compatible for some reason (maybe they’re to big) but it works for the most part and has worked every time I’ve built a kit from scratch.

Here’s a video I made outlining the process:

• Slappy, my Ipad Pro 11 is totally useless. I have it some month but cannot use it. Apple did not know of any mistakes. I called to Apple. They said i have to inform all developer of the software i use. Apple makes no mistakes. That's a shame for a tablet which costs over 1000 Euro. I have the last public beta, but it doesn't work. Hope that the fix will come very fast.
    I have no problems with AuV3. With cubasis and interaudioapp there were lots of problems. The instruments were not loaded and the cpu usage was very high.
    I will use the most instruments which are from NS2. So i can save cpu and for AuV3 instruments i searched for low cpu usage instruments. That works good. So i have a good sound and a good cpu usage.

T4H, how high is the cpu usage with one track AudioLayer ? Thank you for the video.....

• edited January 2019

Apple did not know of any mistakes. I called to Apple. They said i have to inform all developer of the software i use. Apple makes no mistakes.

Yeah that's usual reaction from hotline :) It's always same with all companies, people on hotline are usually incompenent, poor payed random people who are just repeating same few sentences learned at assesment center :D

Fact is there is well known bug in iOS (i think it has something to do with fact that iOS uses low-power CPU cores for audio threads instead of high-power), fact is that Apple is working on fix and based on reports of users with access to iOS BETA version it is already fixed in beta.

Interesting fact is that it affects more IAA synths than AUs. Probably reason is that AUs are runninng inside host app and if host app somehow manages get high-power CPU cores, then it is applied also on AUs.. hard to say.

Anyway, as i said - fix is on the way, so it would be good ..

• Hi dendy, i wait for the fix. I cannot write what i think about the arrogant Apple.........But i hope so, that they throw out the fix very fast. With NS2 i have some myterious , special acting. My project sometimes uses 30% cpu and sometimes 3-5 % cpu. When this is true and is the future, that were great. So there will be used the fast and the slow cpu sometimes.

• edited January 2019

My project sometimes uses 30% cpu and sometimes 3-5 % cpu.

CPU meter is just very rough information about how much CPU is really used ..

This thing confuses many users :) It's about how CPU in Apple devices works. Until app doesn't need much CPU power, CPU is running in low power mode. As app needs are increased , iOS increases CPU power more and more.

This leads to fact, that CPU load meter very quickly goes to 30% (because at beginning CPU is in really low power mode), but then for long time it stays +/- in 30-40% area - it's because simply there is feedback - more APP needs, more iOS allows :) Only at the end, when you start reaching real CPU limit, cpu load metter starts go above 50% and more ..

You are right, that jumping between 30% and 3% may be exactly manifestation of that particular Apple bug with incorrect assigning of CPU power.