FR - Aufx per pad in Slate

edited December 2018 in General chat

This will get added I hope? Sadly very limited here currently...

Comments

• Yeah, I find the whole 4x FX bus + 1x output inserts + 1x Send FX needlessly complicated and confusing. I think it's all in the name of DSP efficiency, but at a great expense to simplicity and interop with external plugins.

It'd be much simpler if each pad just had its effects chain, which allowed for the built-in effects and the ability to add AUfx. The whole bank would then also have an over-encompassing effects chain to control everything. Simple.

• Totally. Maximum power, minimum fuss. Surprised aufx per pad isn’t there from the get go. Hoping it will appear soon.

• edited December 2018

Very unlikely that this will be added. Or in other words, there is almost no chamce this will ever happen ;) It will be completely against whole logic and concept of Slate.

If you need such concept for your workflow, probably BM3 is better choice for you, it's all
    about pad-centric architecture, you should give it a try....

• @dendy said:
    Very unlikely that this will be added. It will be completely agains while logic of Slate.

If you need such concept for your workflow, probably BM3 is better choice for you, it's all
    about pad-centric architecture, you should give it a try...

Erm.... isn’t slate a pad sampler first and foremost? Don’t nearly all of those have insert fx chains per pad? B3 is only one of many that do, in software and hardware.....

Exactly how do insert au fx per pad go against the ‘logic of slate’? Unless it’s logic is to be unnecessarily limited and awkward? Sorry but that’s nonsense...

• edited December 2018

@dendy said:
    Very unlikely that this will be added. Or in other words, there is almost no chamce this will ever happen ;) It will be completely against whole logic and concept of Slate.

What is the "logic and concept of slate"? Is this documented anywhere, or is it an opinion?

• edited December 2018

i don't feel any limitations in Slate, it perfectly fits all my needs.. i like imternal FXs on busses, in my opinion internal FXs in NS are better than 80% of AUs, definitely far away better than build in FXs in BM3 or Cubasis.

If i need more complex processimg i sipmply put more instances of Slate (for examole one for kick, one for hihats, one for snares, one for percussions), and then i use tracks insert FXs which are not limited in any way..

Btw. on desktop i used for drums NI Battery. Didn't remember there possibility to load plugins per pad.. Never needed such thing in my 25 years of producimg experience ;)

Except of waveshaper/filter - which IS in Slate. In superb quality (Slate's waveshaper is one of best avsilavle on iOS imho)

• @dendy said:
    i don't feel any limitations in Slate.

Tangential before submitting a feature request: is there a way to link pads together? Suppose I want to tap a pad and have another one activate as well.

(don't tell me to use layers, that's a different thing that solves a different problem)

• @dendy said:
    i don't feel any limitations in Slate, it perfectly fits all my needs.. i like imternal FXs on busses, in my opinion internal FXs in NS are better than 80% of AUs, definitely far away better than build in FXs in BM3 or Cubasis.

If need more comples processimg i simoly put more instances of Slate (for examole one for kick, one for hihats, one for snares, one for percussions), and then i use tracks insert FXs which are not limited in any way..

Might be good idea to remember you aren’t the only producer out there and that your ‘ways’ and needs don’t tick boxes for everyone else... your workaround of multiple slates is ridiculous.

Currently it’s limited, badly, for sound design by current standards, many many au fx out there that the internal fx don’t come close to...

• @blueveek said:

@dendy said:
    i don't feel any limitations in Slate.

Tangential before submitting a feature request: is there a way to link pads together? Suppose I want to tap a pad and have another one activate as well.

(don't tell me to use layers, that's a different thing that solves a different problem)

Change the MIDI NOTE and you can trigger multiple pads at once (see picture).

• edited December 2018

@blueveek said

yeah of course... in pad setup set same note for them.. if you trigger some pad, all other pads set to same note are triggered too

• edited December 2018

If you edit your samples at all before loading them into a pad I’m not sure why you would need more effects per pad than what’s available, especially considering you can have dozens of Slate banks in a track.

• @dendy said:
    @blueveek said

yeah of course... in pad setup set same note for them.. if you trigger some pad, all other pads set to same note are triggered too

Excellent!

• @3sleeves said:
    If you edit your samples at all before loading them into a pad I’m not sure why you would need more effects per pad than what’s available, especially considering you can have dozens of Slate banks in a track.

How about when I don't want to bake the effect into a sample? Suppose I want to automate that effect. Suppose that effect only exists as an AUfx?

• @blueveek said:

@3sleeves said:

How about when I don't want to bake the effect into a sample? Suppose I want to automate that effect. Suppose that effect only exists as an AUfx?

Ah, ok...for automating an effect per pad I could see that.

• @dendy dude, we understand you love NS2 and you are a beta tester and you’re use to the app as is but there’s more than one way to do things and more than one workflow as we’re all individuals. Some of the things @blueveek and @flockz have mentioned are valid and I also would like to see those features added if possible. By them being added to accommodate other producers will not affect your workflow, you can still go on as is.
    So please let us voice our opinions, concerns and such and help get this great app to even greater things. Thank you.

• edited December 2018

@hansjbs i'm not saying that this request isn't valid for people who come from BM3 enviroment... i perfecly understant that you all adjusted your workflows to freature set of this app

I was just trying to say, to avoid 10 pages of reasoning why this is super cool idea, and later dissapoointment when it will be not added.. I know some stuff behing the Slate's design - reasons why things are like they are, and i'm pretty sure that at 99% this gonna never ever happen (aufx per pad).

That's all. Once again, I understand background of this request, that's why my first post.

In my second post in was trying to point that NS is designed with a bit different approach, that you need think a bit different, not trying bend NS close to BM3 but trying to bend your workflow closer to NS2.

That's everything from my side to this topic. Hope you at least understand point of my posts, it was not bad intention and i was not trying to say that this request is nonsense or something like that, definitely no !

• edited December 2018

@dendy said:
    @hansjbs i'm not saying that this request isn't valid for people who come from BM3 enviroment...

Eh, I wouldn't categorise this as a BM3 "thing". Most powerful samplers allow for per pad effects, without restrictions on where those effects come from.

Slate is supposed to be a powerful sampler too, or at least that's how it's marketed. So the feature expectations are valid regardless of where they come from.

• To all that AUv3 to every pad... I think I know only one app on iOS and that’s bm3 which does it but it is so unstable and just not that great evolution from bm2 in my opinion. Cubasis is probably much more limited then ns2 in terms of limitation of how many inserts you can have on track, not mentioning on pads...well there are no pads in Cubasis only pad controller! Any other?
    On desktop that’s bit different but that’s whole different platform.
    Somethings changes in workflow even if you strip it down might be leading to some unexpected creative stimulation:) would not complain if it was added in future but if that would be sacrifice to stability then I don’t want it!
    Alternatively if you guys want all that then ms surface tablet with Ableton/maschine/beatwig etc will be better choice as platform for you.

• @Cray23 said:
    On desktop that’s bit different but that’s whole different platform.

Surely we shouldn't lower our standards just because we're on iOS :) We all want this platform to succeed for music production, and we don't do it by having low standards.

• @hansjbs said:
    @dendy dude, we understand you love NS2 and you are a beta tester and you’re use to the app as is but there’s more than one way to do things and more than one workflow as we’re all individuals. Some of the things @blueveek and @flockz have mentioned are valid and I also would like to see those features added if possible. By them being added to accommodate other producers will not affect your workflow, you can still go on as is.
    So please let us voice our opinions, concerns and such and help get this great app to even greater things. Thank you.

Come on man, you don’t love NS2?:)and if development was something people were interested in then they should know there isn’t AUv3 per pad capability and could ask how does it look for it in future development.

• @dendy said:
    @hansjbs i'm not saying that this request isn't valid for people who come from BM3 enviroment... i perfecly understant that you all adjusted your workflows to freature set of this app

I was just trying to say, to avoid 10 pages of reasoning why this is super cool idea, and later dissapoointment when it will be not added.. I know some stuff behing the Slate's design - reasons why things are like they are, and i'm pretty sure that at 99% this gonna never ever happen (aufx per pad).

That's all. Once again, I understand background of this request, that's why my first post.

In my second post in was trying to point that NS is designed with a bit different approach, that you need think a bit different, not trying bend NS close to BM3 but trying to bend your workflow closer to NS2.

That's everything from my side to this topic. Hope you at least understand point of my posts, it was not bad intention and i was not trying to say that this request is nonsense or something like that, definitely no !

Ok, no problem. So I’m guessing with your experience and behind the scene knowledge this won’t happen. I’ll just use NS2 to make some loops with obsidian, export and import into BM3. Thank you.

• edited December 2018

@hansjbs good for you that you have use for both apps, that's great because you have more possibilities ! Diversity is great thing, if all DAWs (or music production enviroments) would be equipped by same set of features, what would be sense to have more of them ?

Point is to use from every app what is good inside. There is NO perfect DAW and never will be.

Wish you lot inspiration with music, no matter which app you use !

• @dendy why are you making this about bm3?? It has nothing to do with bm3. It’s a feature request for per pad aufx in ns2. Why wouldn’t anyone want ‘per sound’ fx options and flexibility in 2018?

If that feature doesn’t interest you personally then just ignore the thread. Personally I couldn’t care less about micro timing but I’m not going to dive in to that feature request thread and say ‘just go use another daw that has it’. Like you’re saying here....

You obviously got used to things the way they are during beta. That’s fine, but now it’s released to general public with fresh eyes so be prepared for a whole lot of new opinions...you need to give those new opinions the same weight as you give your own.

• edited December 2018

@flockz please read again this my post. with understanding plz ;) thanks.

https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/544/#Comment_544

• @dendy said:

https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/544/#Comment_544

Are you ‘trying’ to being patronising? Just ignore the thread if you don’t want the good stuff...

• edited December 2018

@dendy said:

And I’m not sure why you linked me to that particular post? Are you saying that the dev has said this definitely isn’t happening? I kind of gave up reading when you once again dismissed the request as something that is related to people just having used bm3.

• i cannot help you if you are not able read with understanding.. wasting of time for both of us.

• edited December 2018

@dendy said:
    i cannot help you if you are not able read with understanding.. wasting of time for both of us.

Wow. Very patronising again.

You cannot help me because you aren’t the dev...And you keep belittling or dismissing the feature request, down to you having personally decided that Bm3 is the only pad sampler or daw out there that allows all individual pads > plugin fx. Which it isn’t..And that ns2 internal fx make aufx redundant, which they certainly don’t.

• @AlleycatLA said:
    Wow!

Constructive! Yeehaw!