Have you seen this?

The awesome Mr Haq just released his 45min mega video about obsidian and it contains an exclusive interview with mr @Blip Interactive himself!!

Comments

• Yes, great video and great to hear some snippets from Matt 😀

• @LeeB It’s fun for me as an amateur to see what you can do with it. Though I don’t think I’ll ever be able to go so deep in to obsidian =)

• Yes, and if you’re a smug git and are a Patreon, you get to see it a week or so before anyone else- which being a smug git, I did! So do the right thing and become a Patreon of these guys who do the iPad app reviews. (Subtle hint... as subtle as a sledgehammer...)

• This was great. Make sure you see it!

• Jakob's enthusiasm is so unbelievably infectious. In a world full of "youtubers", I think he's the one I'd most like to get absurdly sauced with.

Sidebar: I'm yet another stupid yank (yasy?) but Matt sounds kinda posh to me. Like, he prolly wears very fancy developer pants?

• Matt sounds kinda posh to me

yeah :-) Those Brits, you hear them and you immediately see them wearing tuxedo :-)
    :trollface:

• Shaken... Not stirred...

• Great video. Still believe, you will need 1000s of hours to explain Obsidians potential and versatility.
    And no. This ain’t Matt. I am positive it’s some kind of text to speech synthesis tech.

• And no. This ain’t Matt. I am positive it’s some kind of text to speech synthesis tech.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

• @Will said:
    Sidebar: I'm yet another stupid yank (yasy?) but Matt sounds kinda posh to me. Like, he prolly wears very fancy developer pants?

Ha, I honestly thought we might have to start calling him professor Matt.

• The thing about Mr Haq is that he’s exactly as friendly and cool in real life as he is in his videos. <3<3<3

• edited January 2019

@Stiksi Considering that silver beard - yes, that sounds appropriate :+1:

• Loved the video! I agree with Will: Jakob’s enthisiasm is VERY infectious. I wanted to buy that app! Then realized I already had it. Matt sounded exactly the way I expected him to. His posts on the forum sound just that polite. And intelligent! I felt smarter when he was talking. His explanations about Obsidian made me think, “yes, I knew that, didn’t I?” When actually my mind is blown by Obsidian’s potential and I normally feel more like Jakob running about his apartment in delight. I hope he does more videos on NS2.

• I hope he does more videos on NS2.

I feel he will do more videos. Think about fact he just scratched surface in some parts of Obsidian (like FM oscillator itself is thing for half hour video - i wish to see him when he discovers independent evelopes inside FM oscillator or spectral looping feature of sampler :lol:

Somebody should invite him here :-)

• @dendy said:

I hope he does more videos on NS2.

He'll never finish anything/get any work done!!

• truestory

• If you insert a space before the hash symbol, vanilla renders it like one of those hashy things, not an h1 as per markdown.

#truestory

• @dendy said:

I hope he does more videos on NS2.

I feel he will do more videos. Think about fact he just scratched surface in some parts of Obsidian (like FM oscillator itself is thing for half hour video - i wish to see him when he discovers independent evelopes inside FM oscillator or spectral looping feature of sampler :lol:

Yar. The FM OSC was the big omission for me. And the sample OSC. And Envelope key/velocity scaling. Oh, and most of the LFO options. Oh and... :) It's just too much for one video!

• @Will said:
    If you insert a space before the hash symbol, vanilla renders it like one of those hashy things, not an h1 as per markdown.

#truestory

thanks, master :-))

• edited January 2019

@Cinebient

On my old AIR 1, with 11 ms buffer, i run 19 instances of Obsidian - cpu was 84%, playback totaly smooth without dropouts ... after i added one more instance, very rare dropouts happened, with 21 instances there was lot dropouts)

Every instance was playing 16 notes of patch with all 3 oscillators activated on, filter turned on ( 12dB LowPass “analog” variant with overdive) and modulated by LFO. Oh and very long delay and plate reverb activated.
    On each instance.
    Just think about it - 304playing voices (every one with 3 osc), which means 304 filters instances with overdrive , 19 delays (with filter on delay activated !) and 16 very long reverbs...
    On A7 CPU !

I don’t think people really understand how much is this thing efficient. It amazes me again and again. This is true alien technology.

What are limits of NS on new devices ? Probably there are no limits at all, at least for any kind of meaningful music :):

Did you saw this legendary screenshot made by @drez ? And i think still that 30% - probably at least half is made by that iSymphonic and Synth Master and ProQ instances :lol:

Don't think it's even possible to get CPU overload with Obsidian on 2013+ ipads (until you are making not just some noise to kill cpu on purpose :)))

• edited January 2019

I really would like to hear and see more about the envelopes and especially about break points and decay 2 and these things i really not know what they do exactly.

those parameters are related to this type of envelope ...

Btw. one thing is worth to mention - when was Jakob talking about 24 modulation slots and how it can be limiting - actually you can map MACRO knobs to control modulations without need of assiging it as slot in mod matrix - every matrix conenction does have third parameter "multiplier" which can be assigned to macro knob - then you basically "scale" that modulation with macro knob

more detailed description here :
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/599537/#Comment_599537

• Obsidian is way way way deeper than it appears at first glance. Lately I have spent most of my music time experimenting with it.

• @anickt said:
    Obsidian is way way way deeper than it appears at first glance. Lately I have spent most of my music time experimenting with it.

Agree! I’m starting to replace some of my old favorites with it as well.

• @dendy said:
    every matrix conenction does have third parameter "multiplier" which can be assigned to macro knob - then you basically "scale" that modulation with macro knob

Wait what? 🤯🤯🤯

• @Cinebient said:
    That is even much better than i expected. So i guess my iPhone 6S plus with an A9 is overpowered :)
    (I´m oldschool and want still a headphone jack).

Yes, very much so. I still use a 6S too (same reason!) and I can't seem to make a dent in the CPU with NS2.

• edited January 2019

So in theory i have endless layers to stack up to the top track (main) with inserts, sends, midi on each of them

Yes, you can create whole complex tree of synths and then send midi notes from most parent track to all childs, so in sequencer you need put notes just on parent track ;)

Not sure if even any desktop DAW i know of offers this kind of workflow so easy.

To my knowledge just Reaper ;)

Man i just realize that NS2 is even more than i thought it is.

Yes, it still amazes me how Matt managed to do it very easy to use with steep learning curve, but also very very deep if you want go deep..

This is two faced app :) - one face for people who don’t want to go deep, just have fun with patches and record some ideas but also other face for people who are mad sound design scientists like we are :)))

• @Cinebient said:
    I guess i can try some super layers. I just realized in the manual that i can stack groups into groups into groups and so on. So in theory i have endless layers to stack up to the top track (main) with inserts, sends, midi on each of them? That would even top what i can do in Logic Pro (at least in a more easy way). My brain is melting.....
    Not sure if even any desktop DAW i know of offers this kind of workflow so easy.
    What i love about all this is that (beside a few minor things) NS2 focus on exact the things i want inside a DAW and forget about a lot stuff i anyway almost never use. :)

Ableton Live allows group nesting as well and use it often.

On this current NS2 song I’m working on I have a string group but then I have a pizz type group, full string group, violins group, etc. This way I can apply insert processing on those sub groups because they are similar frequency and sound types. Saves processing because I can throw eq’s, compressors etc on the sub group. Further, I can then do stuff like volume automation for 3 violin tracks on the single sub group channel. Extremely useful.

• @drez said:

@Cinebient said:
    I guess i can try some super layers. I just realized in the manual that i can stack groups into groups into groups and so on. So in theory i have endless layers to stack up to the top track (main) with inserts, sends, midi on each of them? That would even top what i can do in Logic Pro (at least in a more easy way). My brain is melting.....
    What i love about all this is that (beside a few minor things) NS2 focus on exact the things i want inside a DAW and forget about a lot stuff i anyway almost never use. :)

Ableton Live allows group nesting as well and use it often.

On this current NS2 song I’m working on I have a string group but then I have a pizz type group, full string group, violins group, etc. This way I can apply insert processing on those sub groups because they are similar frequency and sound types. Saves processing because I can throw eq’s, compressors etc on the sub group. Further, I can then do stuff like volume automation for 3 violin tracks on the single sub group channel. Extremely useful.

😂 Great story bro 😂

• edited January 2019

@dendy said:

So in theory i have endless layers to stack up to the top track (main) with inserts, sends, midi on each of them

Yes, you can create whole complex tree of synths and then send midi notes from most parent track to all childs, so in sequencer you need put notes just on parent track ;)

To my knowledge just Reaper ;)

Ableton Live works the same way, you put midi notes on the parent channel and the children receive the midi.

The one issue (which I pointed out to Matt in a different thread) is that on the MIDI Track Input where you would be receiving MIDI data/notes from another track, the Transpose and Range Limit does not work for Internal devices, its only sending that as an External source. So I can't transpose or limit the note range an Obsidian, Slate or AU. Hopefully that get's added.