StepPolyArp Unit not working

Comments

• Is this fix coming any time soon?

• bug fix updates like this (minor dev work but significant improvements) would be great if they were released as soon as dealt with. It’s cool to wanna blow people away with BIG updates with long changelog lists, but frustrating to know this has been fixed for a while now but still we can’t use spa in ns2...

• Glad to hear this is going to be fixed. I bought SPA last night for use in NS2 to compensate for the lack of an arpeggiator before I read this thread. Stupid me... I am really trying to make NS2 my go to workstation but every time I patch a problem with a workaround I create a new one.

Am I correct in understanding that NS2 will never be able to record the output of the step sequencer in SPA to the NS2 sequencer???

• edited January 2019

Am I correct in understanding that NS2 will never be able to record the output of the step sequencer in SPA to the NS2 sequencer???

Recording of MIDIfx output to sequencer is one of planned features ;)

• @dandercore, you can still use SPA outside of NS2 to send midi to it the midi can be recorded as well with this workaround.

• Does Matt read the forum? This fix needs releasing ASAP and is frustrating to know is been dealt with but the updates being held back :(

• edited January 2019

Matt is currently hard working on top prio bug fixes and features requested by many users (not just on this forum), he is doing his best to deliver really top prio things ASAP. It's his choice to not lost time by doing partial small updates just for one or two features (and to deal with all that apple appstore releasing stuff which is far away from just "pushing button and that is") and instead of using saved time to do more features, and make more users satisfied.

So we all just need to be patient. He is really working hard, i hope nobody is in doubt about this.

@flockz

Just curious, you wrote in other thread that you are going to delete NS2 for now. Judging from ho you are pushing this fix here, it means it is very crucial for you and you changed your mind and in case StepPolyArp issue will be fixed, you start use NS2 for making music ? Just curious, don't get me wrong, looking forward for some of your production then :-)

• @dendy said:
    Matt is currently hard working on top prio bug fixes and features requested by many users (not just on this forum), he is doing his best to deliver really top prio things ASAP. It's his choice to not lost time by doing partial small updates just for one or two features (and to deal with all that apple appstore releasing stuff which is far away from just "pushing button and that is") and instead of using saved time to do more features, and make more users satisfied.

So we all just need to be patient. He is really working hard, i hope nobody is in doubt about this.

@flockz

Just curious, you wrote in other thread that you are going to delete NS2 for now. Judging from ho you are pushing this fix here, it means it is very crucial for you and you changed your mind and in case StepPolyArp issue will be fixed, you start use NS2 for making music ? Just curious, don't get me wrong, looking forward for some of your production then :-)

I’d be in ‘patient’ mode except Matt already said this fix is sorted but he was planning to group it with other fixes before releasing. Which was while ago.. He should just push out the fix if it’s done. No need for every update release to have hundreds of fixes...

Yeah, didn’t delete it in the end. Using it occasionally, obsidian in to hardware samplers.

• Any news on this fix appearing?

• Lack of fix releases is a bit of a concern..... This has been fixed already weeks ago apparently yet still ns2 is the only iOS host I have that spa doesn’t work in.... What’s the hold up on pushing out the fix???

• @flockz said:
    Lack of fix releases is a bit of a concern..... This has been fixed already weeks ago apparently yet still ns2 is the only iOS host I have that spa doesn’t work in.... What’s the hold up on pushing out the fix???

So far I’ve got a work around that I’ve been using since NS1 that’s pretty solid. It’s a bit strange, but I open up the clip and draw in (or play them on the included keyboard) the actual notes that I want to use. The only bug I’ve found is that sometimes a note or two doesn’t sound right with either the clip I’m in or clips from other tracks, so I have to manually go in and move (or remove) some number of notes to fix it so it sounds correct. It can be tedious, but so far it’s been pretty effective. This new song I’m working on has so many arp lines going on I can barely see straight.

The one benefit from this workaround is that I end up with exactly what I want and I get a better understanding every time about how music works in general because I can see wtf is going on. I encourage more people to try this approach. It’s made me a better musician.

• @drez said:

@flockz said:
    Lack of fix releases is a bit of a concern..... This has been fixed already weeks ago apparently yet still ns2 is the only iOS host I have that spa doesn’t work in.... What’s the hold up on pushing out the fix???

So far I’ve got a work around that I’ve been using since NS1 that’s pretty solid. It’s a bit strange, but I open up the clip and draw in (or play them on the included keyboard) the actual notes that I want to use. The only bug I’ve found is that sometimes a note or two doesn’t sound right with either the clip I’m in or clips from other tracks, so I have to manually go in and move (or remove) some number of notes to fix it so it sounds correct. It can be tedious, but so far it’s been pretty effective. This new song I’m working on has so many arp lines going on I can barely see straight.

The one benefit from this workaround is that I end up with exactly what I want and I get a better understanding every time about how music works in general because I can see wtf is going on. I encourage more people to try this approach. It’s made me a better musician.

Drawing in the kind of arpeggio stuff that’s possible with SPA would drive me nuts!

• edited January 2019

@flockz let me explain situation.. this is one of many small fixes and improvements, amongst other bigger, which would be a part of update..

Believe me, releasing update in appstore is not like "push button and done" - it involves a quite lot of annoying steps and necessary amount of work.. Which is definitely in many cases more time than fix particular bug ;)

now, you are waiting for this fix.. other people waiting for something other.. If Matt should release every single one small fix independently, then half of his work ti e wozld be fixing bugs and second half releading it...

isn't better to use thus tine for making more tasks and then release them at once ?

It's calked effective work management :)

Try to look at it from different perspective, if Matt would release this fix standalone, then other users should start ask "if that one, why also this one, bla bla"

Just be patient plz. It's just app not life saving surgery :)

• @dendy said:
    @flockz let me explain situation.. this is one of many small fixes and improvements, amongst other bigger, which would be a part of update..

Believe me, releasing update in appstore is not like "push button and done" - it involves a quite lot of annoying steps and necessary amount of work.. Which is definitely in many cases more time than fix particular bug ;)

now, you are waiting for this fix.. other people waiting for something other.. If Matt should release every single one small fix independently, then half of his work ti e wozld be fixing bugs and second half releading it...

isn't better to use thus tine for making more tasks and then release them at once ?

Try to look at it from different perspective, if Matt would release this fix standalone, then other users should start ask "if that one, why also this one, bla bla"

Dunno man. You see a lot of devs push out almost instant bug fixes if they’re found and dealt with as quick as Matt said this one was.... was just hoping Blip were one of those type of devs.

• @flockz said:

@dendy said:

Dunno man. You see a lot of devs push out almost instant bug fixes if they’re found and dealt with as quick as Matt said this one was.... was just hoping Blip were one of those type of devs.

I’ve seen devs do it on bugs that completely break the app rendering it nearly unusable. This is not one of those bugs.

• @drez said:

@flockz said:

@dendy said:

I’ve seen devs do it on bugs that completely break the app rendering it nearly unusable. This is not one of those bugs.

I’ve seen devs do it on various bugs. Especially if it’s a compatibility thing. Brambos is a prime example. In fact I’m pretty sure at least one app threw out an update already purely to make it compatible with ns2? That kinda stuff works both ways....

• edited January 2019

@flockz said:

@drez said:

@flockz said:

@dendy said:

I’ve seen devs do it on various bugs. Especially if it’s a compatibility thing. Brambos is a prime example. In fact I’m pretty sure at least one app threw out an update already purely to make it compatible with ns2? That kinda stuff works both ways....

Sure but none of those apps are as complex as NS2. Brambos apps are awesome, but individually they don’t have nearly the complexity that NS2 does, IMHO. While Matt’s fixing your specific issue, he might be in the same code making some other changes for other issues/enhancements. Again, NS2 isn’t broken where nobody can save or render, it’s just a bug.

Besides...You really think a guy that spent six years making NS2 is just going to “throw a patch together” for SPA? :lol:

I am a firm believer in agile development methodologies. You can see a rant I had about it over on another forum. “If it hurts, do it often” - Jez Humble. Does that mean you should deploy often? Yes. Does that mean to the customer? Usually, yes. But it appears that Matt’s first customer is his beta team. And this product is so rock solid and feature rich, It’s working for him, and has worked for him since NS1, so why should he change a proven process?

Not sure you ever used NS1. Do you know Matt’s development history at all? Seems like you don’t know much about it based on your comments. If you are familiar with it, then you wouldn’t be worried about it getting released when he’s ready and he’s already said he’s fixing it. I just went round and round about a similar thing on another forum where a feature was said to be coming soon from the Dev of another product and that was in 2017. There’s been sporadic updates that the feature will be released when it’s ready and that “it’s definitely coming” so, we wait ¯_(ツ)_/¯

So if Matt doesn’t have that fixed for you by 2020, you might get concerned :lol:

• @drez said:

@flockz said:

Sure but none of those apps are as complex as NS2. Brambos apps are awesome, but individually they don’t have nearly the complexity that NS2 does, IMHO.

Yes. Very much the difference. Comparing NS releases to single purpose app releases is apples and oranges. Comparisons like this, in general, are probably not very useful but if you wanna do it, maybe do it with apps like Cubasis, BM3, Auria...

• I wonder how many times I had to write “patience is a virtue I must learn to possess” in school...

• @drez
    While Matt’s fixing your specific issue, he might be in the same code making some other changes for other issues/enhancements

VERY good point !

• edited January 2019

There are manageable workarounds for using SPA with NS2. I wouldn’t push a release for just that either. My time is valuable, so is Matt’s. It’s not likely that a single sale will be won or lost based on the fix being there or not. Personally, I’d focus my energy on the money shots and drop in the easy stuff here or there along with those releases.

Disclaimers:
    “The poster is not reflecting in any negative way on any person’s right to advocate for what they think is important. Nor is the poster claiming an expert opinion. The opinions of the poster are meant only to help put things in perspective (and / or to be a wiseass).”
    “No animals were harmed during the composition of this post.”

“This post was composed in a shared facility that may have processed peanuts or peanut products, gluten, and/or chemicals known by the state of California to cause cancer or birth defects.”

• @number37 said:
    There are manageable workarounds for using SPA with NS2. I wouldn’t push a release for just that either. My time is valuable, so is Matt’s. It’s not likely that a single sale will be won or lost based on the fix being there or not. Personally, I’d focus my energy on the money shots and drop in the easy stuff here or there along with those releases.

Disclaimers:
    “The poster is not reflecting in any negative way on any person’s right to advocate for what they think is important. Nor is the poster claiming an expert opinion. The opinions of the poster are meant only to help put things in perspective (and / or to be a wiseass).”
    “No animals were harmed during the composition of this post.”

“This post was composed in a shared facility that may have processed peanuts or peanut products, gluten, and/or chemicals known by the state of California to cause cancer or birth defects.”

• Lot of valid points. But still ns2 is the only host that isn’t compatible with spa. Even after the fix is announced as ‘simple’ a month ago. And a lot of the reasoning as to why the fix hasn’t been released just makes me think that ns2 progress in general is going to be very, very slow.

• edited January 2019

@anickt said:
    I wonder how many times I had to write “patience is a virtue I must learn to possess” in school...

People are missing context here. Matt said this fix was done but he was planning to release an update with various other fixes too. I’m saying ‘imho just push out whatever fixes are ready’.

That isn’t being impatient, that’s just questioning the gameplan and saying ‘yo, imho SOME fixes now, are better than NO fixes now.....and are we going to be waiting months/years til the intended pile of simultaneous fixes/updates is ready?’.

No impatience at all, just my angle on it after reading that Matt planned to hold the fix back until he had other stuff ready for the same release.

Context people, context....no need for the anti-entitled brigade to liven up.

• You’ve made your point. Again and again and again and... ;)

• @anickt said:
    You’ve made your point. Again and again and again and... ;)

@anickt said:

@anickt said:

@anickt said:

@anickt said:

@anickt said:

@anickt said:

@anickt said:

• edited January 2019

@flockz said:
    Lot of valid points. But still ns2 is the only host that isn’t compatible with spa. Even after the fix is announced as ‘simple’ a month ago. And a lot of the reasoning as to why the fix hasn’t been released just makes me think that ns2 progress in general is going to be very, very slow.

NS2 is in good company then. Check the release schedules, feature additions, and length of time important bugs and shortcomings have been around in Cubasis, Auria Pro, and BM3. Then hit up your doc to see if you can score some ambien. 😉

Couple of newcomer DAWS have been bucking that trend, but my guess is that pace won’t continue forever. They have already begun to slow down.

• edited January 2019

@number37 said:

@flockz said:
    Lot of valid points. But still ns2 is the only host that isn’t compatible with spa. Even after the fix is announced as ‘simple’ a month ago. And a lot of the reasoning as to why the fix hasn’t been released just makes me think that ns2 progress in general is going to be very, very slow.

NS2 is in good company then. Check the release schedules, feature additions, and length of time important bugs and shortcomings have been around in Cubasis, Auria Pro, and BM3. Then hit up your doc to see if you can score some ambien. 😉

Couple of newcomer DAWS have been bucking that trend, but my guess is that pace won’t continue forever. They have already begun to slow down.

Type of app is irrelevant. Process of submitting to store is same for all devs.

Didn’t know some of the newer daws had been knocking out rapid small updates, but cool, there you go, guess it’s a feasible suggestion with precedent and I’m not a warped arsehole after all ;)

• edited January 2019

@number37 said:

Yeah, what people don't know is how hard Matt worked last few years especially last months and weeks before release - people often cannot imagine what tremendous amount work is for single man do that complex app like NS2 - in some moments i was really afraid about his health because such brutal working pace can nobody withstand for too long .. so i really hope Matt will at least for few weeks significantly slow down ... I actually hope he will never return to that work tempo like before release, but as i know him, i'm in doubt :)) Plans for this year are for sure impressive and i personally pretty much believe all of them will be fulfilled more or less, so i'm expecting at least 2 mindblowing updates and few smaller ones in between :)

• @dendy said:

@number37 said:

>

Yeah, what people don't know is how hard Matt worked last few years especially last months and weeks before release - people often cannot imagine what tremendous amount work is for single man do that complex app like NS2 - in some moments i was really afraid about his health because such brutal working pace can nobody withstand for too long .. so i really hope Matt will at least for few weeks significantly slow down ... I actually hope he will never return to that work tempo like before release, but as i know him, i'm in doubt :)) Plans for this year are for sure impressive and i personally pretty much believe all of them will be fulfilled more or less, so i'm expecting at least 2 mindblowing updates and few smaller ones in between :)

I hope Matt doesn’t burn himself out too. I’ve done that myself on a couple projects over the years. Not fun. Bad times.

But after you charge $$ for something it enters a different phase and customers are justified to expect the advertised functionality/compatibility.

Matt already said this one was easy so shouldn’t be a big deal for him.

This discussion has been closed.