Subfolders under "User" folder in Obsidian patch browser

Hi,

So I'm in the middle of converting DSK SFZ instruments into Obsidian patches, and now that I'm nearing 50 patches, I've ran into organising issues. Basically, Obsidian lumps all of my patches into one long list. Even when I go into Files to drop my patches into subfolders, Obsidian only shows it as one long list. This is problematic. Sure I can use the tags to try and isolate patches I need, but when a person has hundreds to be converted, then they have a major problem that not even tags can solve.

I have no idea what I can do for a workaround. If the IAPs can be branched off into their own folders, why can't my patches? Thank you for your time.

Comments

• Interesting little test. I made a folder in Files called TEST under Obsidian. When I refreshed NS2 the folder showed up but I couldn’t access it in any way. In Files I moved a group of patches into the TEST folder from the main User folder. After a refresh those files showed up in the TEST folder but were also in the User folder level. I went back to Files and deleted the TEST folder. Opened NS2 up and all files were gone. :o

So yeah - needs some work methinks.

• edited January 2019

@anickt you just discovered "eastern egg" ... UI for adding subfolders under "USER" branch isn't there yet (it's planned at some point) because there was simply no time to do it properly - and you know Matt, he doesn't make half baked solutions :)..

But internally it works exactly same way like rest of patch browser... So you can create subfolders in USER folder via Files app and put there patches using Files app...
    You can also delete your patches and folders via Files app :-)

Obsidian patch browser dosplays patches hierarchically - if you create some folders under "USER" folder and then you select "USER" in patch browser you see in right list all patches, not just those placed directly under "USER" folder but also in all subfolders.. if you choose some subfolder, you see just patches in that subfolder...

that's readin why you see all patches (factory+user+iap) when you choose "ALL", or patches from all IAPs if you choose parent node "IAP"

There is no way how to save new patch directly tomaome subfolder - Obsidian saves all them directly into /USER som you need move them manually using Files app

• @dendy said:
    @anickt you just discovered "eastern egg" ... UI for adding subfolders under "USER" branch isn't there yet (it's planned at some point) because there was simply no time to do it properly - and you know Matt, he doesn't make half baked solutions :)..

But internally it works exactly same way like rest of patch browser... So you can create subfolders in USER folder via Files app and put there patches using Files app...
    You can also delete your patches and folders via Files app :-)

Obsidian patch browser dosplays patches hierarchically - if you create some folders under "USER" folder and then you select "USER" in patch browser you see in right list all patches, not just those placed directly under "USER" folder but also in all subfolders.. if you choose some subfolder, you see just patches in that subfolder...

that's readin why you see all patches (factory+user+iap) when you choose "ALL", or patches from all IAPs if you choose parent node "IAP"

There is no way how to save new patch directly tomaome subfolder - Obsidian saves all them directly into /USER som you need move them manually using Files app

Got it. Will be nice when it’s all in-app. I’m not big on using the Files app if I don’t have to.