Egoist's MIDI is Drifting in NS2 ✌🏼

2»

Comments

• edited January 2019

Haha!

And I thought you guys were musicians, with a keen, highly developed ear. (Kidding)

Don’t worry, somebody will come along who will here the issue..

King

• edited January 2019

And yes, I will call you crazy!

———-

Cheers for taking a look though guys!

King

• Btw, this “Listen to the kick stutter effect” is part of the programmed track. There are two kicks in the track, a heavy one used from BEAT. and a lighter one used in the sample.
    Listen to the lighter one!

King

• edited January 2019

hm ok i'm now officialy deaf :lol: Which explains my poor music :lol:

Maybe i need actually SEE it .. can you please do this test case ?

• put into one track SLATE with just some short closed hihat on every beat
    • put into Egoist just simple kick drum (without noisy top frequency part) on every beat

then create, for example, minute long mixdown where this issue appears, and share this mixdown + Nanostudio project here

eventually try reproduce SAME use case in other DAW where it doesn't happen - you are free to choose BM3 or Cubasis (i would preffer Cubasis) also do share mixdown and project file from that DAW (both BM3 and Cubasis can be acessied via Apple Files App so it's easy to share project file + mixdown to dropbox from those apps)

I will look at those mixdowns to see issue, and will try reproduce it by doing mixdown of those projects by myself on my iPad

I believe you hear that issue there - so if we cannot hear it, we can see it in mixdown, eye is always more accurate than ear :)) If issue is there it actually needs to be fixed even if it is very subtle because such subtle audio shift can cause then serious phasing issues very hard to catch in more complex projects with many tracks ..
    So we need to catch it, 100% reproduce it. Then Matt can enjoy some headache by trying to fix it :trollface:

• I’ll see what I can do to make it easier for you Newbies..

But not just yet..

———-

“You are very committed” ... Ironically, (as I stated in an earlier post), I only re-downloaded egoist to see what the AUv3 version was like.
    If it wasn’t for this issue I probably would have deleted it again by now, as I have ReSlice - BM3 and Sector able to do very similar things, ... it was a bit much, and it wasn’t AU at the deletion time.

Too many apps, makes, too many choices, makes less music (for me).

Peace!

King

• edited January 2019

I can hear it. The bass drum (soft) over time drifts very slightly lagging slightly behind the downbeat. It may be better to re-record it without the metronome on. I suspect this is probably the fault of the plugin and not Nanostudio, for having all those dumb 'heath robinson-like' graphics! It's very subtle but it's there. It's funny because it was exactly this reason I ended up believing the Akai MPC2000xl was utter crap (I used to own one). The timing on that too was always slightly off. Akai only really made one decent machine- the Akai/Linn MPC3000, and the ASQ-10 (sequencer only- the latter which I also used to own, and the timing on the ASQ was incredibly tight).

@King Have you tried placing Egoist on the very first track in the arrange page? One thing that always used to dog old Atari's was arrange page timing. Notator never really had a problem, but Cubase was notorious for it.

Rule number one, place drums, or anything that needed excellent timing, always place at the top of the screen. Also, sorry if you've already stated this, but what iPad are you using?

• edited January 2019

I’ll see what I can do to make it easier for you Newbies..

:tongue::tongue::tongue:

Yeah same for me ! Less is more :-) After beta phase i actually deleted 90% of AU plugins :) Mostly just stuf from @BramBos survived on my device :)

@tom_tm
    I can hear it.

ok another confirmation. So i'm deaf officialy :/:s:#

• @tom_tm said:
    I can hear it. The bass drum (soft) over time drifts very slightly lagging slightly behind the downbeat. It may be better to re-record it without the metronome on. I suspect this is probably the fault of the plugin and not Nanostudio, for having all those dumb 'heath robinson-like' graphics! It's very subtle but it's there. It's funny because it was exactly this reason I ended up believing the Akai MPC2000xl was utter crap (I used to own one). The timing on that too was always slightly off. Akai only really made one decent machine- the Akai/Linn MPC3000, and the ASQ-10 (sequencer only- the latter which I also used to own, and the timing on the ASQ was incredibly tight).

@King Have you tried placing Egoist on the very first track in the arrange page? One thing that always used to dog old Atari's was arrange page timing. Notator never really had a problem, but Cubase was notorious for it.

Rule number one, place drums, or anything that needed excellent timing, always place at the top of the screen. Also, sorry if you've already stated this, but what iPad are you using?

Cool.. finally!

The metronome was purposefully on, so that you guys could here NS2’s clock, and compare the drift to what your seeing etc..

You heard it, no need to redo, my work here is done! Haha.

Mini2 12.1.1.

Cheers,

King

———-

I actually did re-record with just the sample filter with lowpass, and metronome way down, but there is no sound in the vid..

Putting Egoist on track 1 didn’t change the outcome.

• @dendy said:

I’ll see what I can do to make it easier for you Newbies..

:tongue::tongue::tongue:

Yeah same for me ! Less is more :-) After beta phase i actually deleted 90% of AU plugins :) Mostly just stuf from @BramBos survived on my device :)

@tom_tm
    I can hear it.

ok another confirmation. So i'm deaf officialy :/:s:#

Haha to everything! ^

King

• edited January 2019

@tom_tm said:
    ... I suspect this is probably the fault of the plugin and not Nanostudio, ...

Remember! AUM and BM3 are both playing fine!

See yah!

King

• @King said:

@tom_tm said:
    ... I suspect this is probably the fault of the plugin and not Nanostudio, ...

Remember! AUM and BM3 are both playing fine!

@King not necessarily the case. You have an old Mini2 with an A7 processor. That may be a contributing factor here. In fact I'd say it is a contributing factor. Remember the downbeat is barely noticeable. Try the same using a more up-to-date iPad first.

I've just tested it on my iPad Pro, Egoist on second track as AUv3, and Slate on track 1, and I can't hear any slipping. At all.

• edited January 2019

Ha,

Well I can only use what I have.

Would Love an iPad Pro to test it with, but if it can’t fit in my pocket, I don’t want it!

Anyway my input on this subject is done. (Investigated enough now).

Time for creating.

(And please don’t call my dinosaur, old, there’s many who would Love it)

L8ta,

King

• edited January 2019

@King There is still hope that Apple will introduce new Mini models this spring ! There are rumours... i wish they are more than just rumours !!!

• Sure, but this may as well turn in to a race to the bottom. Just because Egoist 'in theory' will work on an iPad Mini 2, that doesn't mean it'll work particularly well. :D

• Presumably King's comparison using BM3 (where the timing issue doesn't occur) was performed using the same iPad Mini, so I don't think we can blame it on the device. Also, a slow UI update shouldn't usually affect the audio as they will be running on different threads, but that possibly may not hold true in really extreme conditions.

• I just used Egoist for about 20 minutes looping against a simple Slate pattern without stopping. I was changing Egoist patterns, changing samples and editing Egoist Bass and Drums and it never went out of sync. Air 1 on iOS 12.1.3. FWIW

• Unfortunately I don't own BM3 so I can't do a comparison test using my old iPad 4 (if BM3 even works on my iP.4). But my experience was exactly the same as anickt's. Egoist on its own works really well though on my iPad 4, but of course that's obvious why that is.

• OK thanks guys. I'm going to demote this from 'completely screwed' (because I didn't know about Egoist's host sync options!) to 'possible minor issue'. I still haven't fully solved the sync issue with Reslice as I'm waiting on a developer at VirSyn to test something out (I don't want to hassle him right now because he's busy and it's probably all my fault). Maybe getting to the bottom of that will provide a possible explanation for general sync weirdness.

• edited February 2019

@Blip Interactive said:
    OK thanks guys. I'm going to demote this from 'completely screwed' (because I didn't know about Egoist's host sync options!) to 'possible minor issue'. I still haven't fully solved the sync issue with Reslice as I'm waiting on a developer at VirSyn to test something out (I don't want to hassle him right now because he's busy and it's probably all my fault). Maybe getting to the bottom of that will provide a possible explanation for general sync weirdness.

Cool Cool!

Deleted from my iPad (mini✌🏼 : p), again now (nothing to do with this issue).

Hope it all works out!

Good to nip these things in the bud.

Cheers

King

• edited February 2019

This is now annoying me. Me and my big fat gob! It's probably me who has the untrained ear (I could never beat match- which is why I never made a techno DJ). Listen to nothing but white noise for an hour and you'll hear everything and anything- including Count Basie and Buddy Rich's entire big band stuck in an elevator, as well as that dude from Whiplash ("No! NOT my tempo!") all playing a single note... "Hey dude! Not my tempo--- the beat slightly is out---"... Major fisticuffs ensue...

Egoist chugs along just fine on my iPad 4 and My iPad Mini 1. And my iPad Pro, start/stop in the middle of a song, Egoist pops right back in, bang on time. Nothing to 'nip in the bud' per se imo. In the light of SPA/Reslice et al, I think we're all getting a little bit too obsessive here.

Anyway, to the next NS update (whenever that may be).. Upwards and onwards!

• edited February 2019

Listen to nothing but white noise for an hour and you'll hear everything and anything

yeah, confirming, i did it :lol:
    (btw made in nanostudio 2 !)

• edited February 2019

@tom_tm said:
    This is now annoying me. Me and my big fat gob! It's probably me who has the untrained ear (I could never beat match- which is why I never made a techno DJ). Listen to nothing but white noise for an hour and you'll hear everything and anything- including Count Basie and Buddy Rich's entire big band stuck in an elevator, as well as that dude from Whiplash ("No! NOT my tempo!") all playing a single note... "Hey dude! Not my tempo--- the beat slightly is out---"... Major fisticuffs ensue...

Egoist chugs along just fine on my iPad 4 and My iPad Mini 1. And my iPad Pro, start/stop in the middle of a song, Egoist pops right back in, bang on time. Nothing to 'nip in the bud' per se imo. In the light of SPA/Reslice et al, I think we're all getting a little bit too obsessive here.

Anyway, to the next NS update (whenever that may be).. Upwards and onwards!

Dude!

What is the problem?

If it’s cool for you, then leave it!

Simple

King

P.S. When I make threads, I address them to Matt, no one else.

Seems your more into this now than me. I’ve deleted Egoist, chill.

These are the reasons I seldom post on forums anymore.

But I’m good, very good. ✌🏼

• edited February 2019

@dendy said:

Listen to nothing but white noise for an hour and you'll hear everything and anything

yeah, confirming, i did it :lol:
    (btw made in nanostudio 2 !)

LOL! Class! And I could hear it too. All those frequencies... All outta sync with one another. In fact the clip was about 2 seconds long. That's 6 zillion random frequencies... all outta sync with each other!