Set up Slate to MIDI controller pads???

schsch
edited February 2019 in Support

I am banging my head against the wall trying to figure out how to get my Arturia Minilab Mk2 to interface its 16 drum pads to NS2. Whilst the Minilab’s keys work fine to trigger the notes (C3 and up for slate sounds), the 16 drum pads just sit there and do squat! No sound is triggered. Can anyone shed any light on getting the onboard drum pads to trigger Slate?

Comments

• Ahhh! Sussed it at last. The drum pads are programmed to start at MIDI note 36 (C1). I just needed to adjust Slate’s MIDI notes down 2 octaves! Happy bunny!

• Aw shit! Well, pads 1-8 work fine but I can’t get the shifted pads 9-16 working. I’ve scrolled through the entire note range in NS2’s pad setup, but no joy! Help!

• edited February 2019

this sounds strange, if you set proper notes on slate pads it should definitely work... there is no difference between pads 1-8 and 9-16, you just need double check if your Minilab is sending for example from pad 9 same note, which is set in Slate pad 9 settings

• edited February 2019

@sch said:
    Aw shit! Well, pads 1-8 work fine but I can’t get the shifted pads 9-16 working. I’ve scrolled through the entire note range in NS2’s pad setup, but no joy! Help!

I don’t have this controller, but I suspect there is something related to the “shift” function. From reading the manual, itbis not clear to me, but I get the idea that whatbis happeningbis related to what is mentioned inthe 3rd paragraph about using pads 9-16 with Analog Lab Lite. In that case pads 9-16 are not sending out MIDI notes. As well, I’d be sure to avoid the Hold & Shift mentioned in the last paragraph. Hope that helps nudge the ball forward.

• You should see which notes the minilab sends by recording them in NS and checking the part.

• @Stiksi said:
    You should see which notes the minilab sends by recording them in NS and checking the part.

You are a genius.

• @Stiksi said:
    You should see which notes the minilab sends by recording them in NS and checking the part.

Brilliant !!!

• @SlapHappy said:

@sch said:
    Aw shit! Well, pads 1-8 work fine but I can’t get the shifted pads 9-16 working. I’ve scrolled through the entire note range in NS2’s pad setup, but no joy! Help!

I don’t have this controller, but I suspect there is something related to the “shift” function. From reading the manual, itbis not clear to me, but I get the idea that whatbis happeningbis related to what is mentioned inthe 3rd paragraph about using pads 9-16 with Analog Lab Lite. In that case pads 9-16 are not sending out MIDI notes. As well, I’d be sure to avoid the Hold & Shift mentioned in the last paragraph. Hope that helps nudge the ball forward.

You're probably on preset 1 which is for use with Analog Lab Lite. Choose one of the other presets by pressing Shift and any pad other than 1.

• Thanks for the feedback... I'll give that a try, but I'm picking up an Akai MPD 218 this morning to be my drum controller, and I'll leave the MiniLab for the keyboard work. I want to be able to do proper finger drumming, so this seems the best device (that I can afford).

• @sch let me know how you get on with the MPD 218. Been eyeing it myself. Mostly concerned with how the pads feel. I own a push and maschine mikro, but need something for BM3 and NS2. Wanted a Bluetooth 4x4 controller but for some insane reason, nobody makes one and it’s baffelling as to why.

• edited February 2019

@drez said:

@Stiksi said:

You are a genius.

Haha, who am I to argue? 😄 I’m also interested in how the MPD 218 handles. I wasn’t at all happy with the MPK Mini’s pads - lots of crosstalk and double / missed hits, but I’m kind of hoping an exclusively pad instrument would make Akai pull out the good stuff.

• Never found one to try the pads out. I’m pretty spoiled with the maschine pads so don’t want to buy something that’s not equivalent.