SOLVED: Decimate and Bit Crush always 100%?

edited February 2019 in Support

Hi folks. NS2 awesome so far. Enjoying learning/adapting from NS1 and currently attempting to recreate some of my NS1 Eden patches in Obsidian.
There seems to be a bug in the WS filter type: the decimate and bit crush controls seem to be locked to 100%. Set the mix to 100% and they have no audible effect across their entire range. The signal is just totally decimacrusherated. They are dual labelled, with “cutoff” paired with “decimate”. Am I missing a trick here to switch those controls to the secondary parameter?

Comments

• @pipstyles said:
    Hi folks. NS2 awesome so far. Enjoying learning/adapting from NS1 and currently attempting to recreate some of my NS1 Eden patches in Obsidian.
    There seems to be a bug in the WS filter type: the decimate and bit crush controls seem to be locked to 100%. Set the mix to 100% and they have no audible effect across their entire range. The signal is just totally decimacrusherated. They are dual labelled, with “cutoff” paired with “decimate”. Am I missing a trick here to switch those controls to the secondary parameter?

Not seeing this here. Works as expected.

• edited February 2019

@pipstyles

if you switched to "WS" for example filter 2, check dobre what is set in marco XY pad -> filter modulation settings and also Filter Envelope -> filter modulation settings - they are set to target Filter 1+2 by default, so if you for example use Filter 2 as waveshaper, you need change XY pad and filter envelope modulatios pointing just to Filter 1 otherwise they are modulating also your waveshaper :)

• @dendy said:
    @pipstyles

if you switched to "WS" for example filter 2, check dobre what is set in marco XY pad -> filter modulation settings and also Filter Envelope -> filter modulation settings - they are set to target Filter 1+2 by default, so if you for example use Filter 2 as waveshaper, you need change XY pad and filter envelope modulatios pointing just to Filter 1 otherwise they are modulating also your waveshaper :)

Good one.

@pipstyles If you want to recreate Eden patches, put the waveshaper on Filter 3. Filters 1 and 2 are "per voice" filters whereas Filter 3 is a global filter (just like the effects in NS1).

• @Will said:

@dendy said:
    @pipstyles

Good one.

@pipstyles If you want to recreate Eden patches, put the waveshaper on Filter 3. Filters 1 and 2 are "per voice" filters whereas Filter 3 is a global filter (just like the effects in NS1).

Oh hey, good point. Wish I’d sussed that a year ago 😖

• edited February 2019

@Will said:

@dendy said:
    @pipstyles

Good one.

That has worked, thanks! It does seem broken on filters 1 or 2 though. I tried @dendy suggestion about the xy pads (correct, the default was that) but remove those controls didn’t alter the behaviour or WS mode on filter 1 and 2.

So, WS filter on the global filter works fine.

Edit: yes! Default filter envelope was causing the setting on the filter control to be overridden. A bit tricky that. Lesson: parameters in various places can be overridden by various controllers and envelopes and you won’t know until you really look in the right places.

• edited February 2019

@pipstyles

try this path...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7et9xxlwbk0v3oo/Crush.zip?dl=0

there is single osc (sine), filter 1 is, LP - XY, Filter Env snd LFO2 are set to modulate just Filter 1, on Filter 2 is Bitcrusher...

try to tweak it's two knobs decimate / bitcrush - both are working like expected, from zero to max

• edited February 2019

and here is switched order (together with all default filter modulations)

osc > crusher > lp filter
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqp95g8eh9ez49n/Crush2.zip?dl=0

additionally, i did set macro 3,4 to crush and decimate so you can play directly from macro screen ;)

• @pipstyles said:
    Edit: yes! Default filter envelope was causing the setting on the filter control to be overridden.

Ack. Of course. Sorry I didn't think of this. Was the source of much similar confusion with Eden.

Anyway, glad you sorted it!