Which was planned first, iPhone support, or Audio Tracks?

2»

Comments

• @dendy will this next NS2 for iPhone update at least give us note repeat? 🙏

• @Audiogus said:

@SlapHappy said:
    What dendy & T4H said.

Except that I get by just fine with audio in Slate since I’m not running a studio or recording live instruments or performances.

I am not doing those things either but for me audio tracks and having a visual waveform are super sweet and efficient for sound design. For building kits for Slate and samples for Obsidian etc. They are also invaluable for me in the mixing / audio commitment stage where all midi is bounced out to audio and then it is sculpted and edited; slicing and stretching bits in ways that can’t be done with midi and fx automation. Even starting a track from scratch with just audio bits, abstract chunks of foley like sound collage style. Ahhh, I love it! BM3 really is a close haven to my olde desktop daw audio chop paradigm with its sampler and ability to manicure audio bits but the timeline is nowhere near NS2 level flow. Anyway, fingers crossed it does not end up like Gadget... ‘Plop! Heres yer audio track... NEXT!’ ;)

If you were to compare your preferred implementation of ‘Audio Tracks’ for NS2 what app closest resembles it? What comes to mind for me is Cubasis but I’d like to explore other options I might have overlooked

• edited February 2019

@T4H said:

@Audiogus said:

@SlapHappy said:
    What dendy & T4H said.

Except that I get by just fine with audio in Slate since I’m not running a studio or recording live instruments or performances.

I am not doing those things either but for me audio tracks and having a visual waveform are super sweet and efficient for sound design. For building kits for Slate and samples for Obsidian etc. They are also invaluable for me in the mixing / audio commitment stage where all midi is bounced out to audio and then it is sculpted and edited; slicing and stretching bits in ways that can’t be done with midi and fx automation. Even starting a track from scratch with just audio bits, abstract chunks of foley like sound collage style. Ahhh, I love it! BM3 really is a close haven to my olde desktop daw audio chop paradigm with its sampler and ability to manicure audio bits but the timeline is nowhere near NS2 level flow. Anyway, fingers crossed it does not end up like Gadget... ‘Plop! Heres yer audio track... NEXT!’ ;)

If you were to compare your preferred implementation of ‘Audio Tracks’ for NS2 what app closest resembles it? What comes to mind for me is Cubasis but I’d like to explore other options I might have overlooked

I knooow i knooooow :-) Samplitude :-)

• @T4H said:
    @dendy will this next NS2 for iPhone update at least give us note repeat? 🙏

To be honest no idea. Even if would know, i'm not authorized to reveal anything about timeline of any feature, instead of i'll end in russian uranium mines :))))

• @dendy said:

@T4H said:

@Audiogus said:

@SlapHappy said:
    What dendy & T4H said.

I knooow i knooooow :-) Samplitude :-)

Psychic!

• @T4H said:

@Audiogus said:

@SlapHappy said:
    What dendy & T4H said.

There are bits and pieces of BM3, Auria Pro, Cubasis, some of the other new ones that just don’t work well for me. ThisTrack, ThatTrack etc. Anywho, I will post this yet again...

• Seems like some pretty good ideas for Audio Tracks in your video.
    Just curious @Audiogus is your normal workflow not ‘playing keys/composing’ as you hinted at in you vid? The vid clarifies what you wrote earlier “abstract chunks of foley like sound collage style”.

• edited February 2019

@SlapHappy said:
    Seems like some pretty good ideas for Audio Tracks in your video.
    Just curious @Audiogus is your normal workflow not ‘playing keys/composing’ as you hinted at in you vid? The vid clarifies what you wrote earlier “abstract chunks of foley like sound collage style”.

That is more or less what stuck with me first. I was taken in by audio chopping in the 90s and synths were just something to make audio out of rather than play ala Vangelis. These days I do mostly 'play keys/compose' simply because I spend most of my time on the ipad and that is what it is best at. As mentioned though BM3 is really good at audio chopping which is pretty much what I would love to do in NS2.

Here is a vid with a mix of the two approaches (my fav way probably moving forward now) where around 2:20 - 3:20 you can see how I like to take little bits of larger wav files but still non-destructively have access to the larger wav file without the need to trim.

PS. One thing I would love with NS2 audio loading would be to be able to have a waveform preview of the audio file right in the file browser so you can jump around looking for sweet spots before even loading it in.

• @dendy said:

@T4H said:

To be honest no idea. Even if would know, i'm not authorized to reveal anything about timeline of any feature, instead of i'll end in russian uranium mines :))))

I understand. But I really really really hope so.

• @T4H said:

That is one thing I am liking with using KRFT into NS2 is the note repeat.

• @Audiogus said:

@T4H said:

KRFT into NS2? I’m unfamiliar, any examples?

• @T4H said:

Definitely not Cubasis :)

Cubasis doesn't allow for sample-accurate audio editing because the grid resolution is too coarse. It also lacks some really obvious audio features such as crossfading, and glueing regions together. It's actually pretty awful for any kind of audio editing, even basic stuff like trying to remove clicks at the start of loops.

I know AudioGus won't agree ;) , but Auria is the gold standard for audio on iOS.

• @richardyot said:

@T4H said:

Definitely not Cubasis :)

Cubasis doesn't allow for sample-accurate audio editing because the grid resolution is too coarse. It also lacks some really obvious audio features such as crossfading, and glueing regions together. It's actually pretty awful for any kind of audio editing, even basic stuff like trying to remove clicks at the start of loops.

I know AudioGus won't agree ;) , but Auria is the gold standard for audio on iOS.

I actually agree with everything in this post. I just love how Cubasis freezes tracks when building with Auv3 instruments and frees up resources. Never composed beats in Auria Pro however for recording and mixing audio, it’s nice...especially the pro tools like busses!

• edited February 2019

@T4H said:

@Audiogus said:

@T4H said:

KRFT into NS2? I’m unfamiliar, any examples?

It doesn't clearly illustrate note repeat (although it is in there) but a very brief proof of concept lives here...

https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/474/krft-into-ns2-is-awesome#latest

I just hit the NS2 editing stage this morning on this jam and I must say I am quite excited by the process. Being able to slice clips in NS2 and preserve automation properly (unlike in BM3) lets me extract the more choice midi bits from a larger jam and rearrange them etc. NS2 really completes KRFT now. This is a big game rearranger for me.

• @Audiogus said:

@T4H said:

@Audiogus said:

@SlapHappy said:
    What dendy & T4H said.

There are bits and pieces of BM3, Auria Pro, Cubasis, some of the other new ones that just don’t work well for me. ThisTrack, ThatTrack etc. Anywho, I will post this yet again...

I like a lot of what you mentioned. Seems a lot like Pro Tools 12 feature set for audio. Also The separate settings per clip is similar to how ‘audio suite’ in Pro Tools would handle things.

• Also @richardyot not to diss another DAW on another DAW’s forum but Cubasis is starting to feel deliberately striped down to me, or intentionally lacking the tools needed to go from consumer to professional. The ‘look’ and foundation is there but there seems to be omissions on purpose even with the latest updates adding new features. Maybe they want to protect their desktop product

• @T4H said:

@Audiogus said:

@T4H said:

@Audiogus said:

@SlapHappy said:
    What dendy & T4H said.

I like a lot of what you mentioned. Seems a lot like Pro Tools 12 feature set for audio. Also The separate settings per clip is similar to how ‘audio suite’ in Pro Tools would handle things.

Cool, yah when Samplitude first came out on PC in the 90s (it/I started on Amiga) it seemed to be informally billed as being like a Protools that didn't need specific audio hardware. It seemed to be one of the first hard drive based multi-track audio recorder/editors that worked on consumer sound cards. It was hard not to fall in love with it as new features I only wished were in there would just magically appear heh.

• @T4H said:
    Also @richardyot not to diss another DAW on another DAW’s forum but Cubasis is starting to feel deliberately striped down to me, or intentionally lacking the tools needed to go from consumer to professional. The ‘look’ and foundation is there but there seems to be omissions on purpose even with the latest updates adding new features. Maybe they want to protect their desktop product

I'm sure there's no conspiracy, but all devs have to juggle limited resources and prioritise. Cubasis does do some things particularly well, such as AU MIDI and MPE. I like using it for certain things, just not for final mixes.

• T4HT4H
    edited February 2019

@Audiogus said:

@T4H said:

@Audiogus said:

@T4H said:

@Audiogus said:

@SlapHappy said:
    What dendy & T4H said.

Cool, yah when Samplitude first came out on PC in the 90s (it/I started on Amiga) it seemed to be informally billed as being like a Protools that didn't need specific audio hardware. It seemed to be one of the first hard drive based multi-track audio recorder/editors that worked on consumer sound cards. It was hard not to fall in love with it as new features I only wished were in there would just magically appear heh.

Awww that’s right, Pro Tools was hardware tethered until 9, which actually caused me to skip it between 7.4 and 9 and go with Logic for that time period because I didn’t want to be stuck with the inferior preamps or A/D of 002/003/Mbox again or jump into antiquated but overpriced PCIe HD systems.

• @richardyot said:

@T4H said:
    Also @richardyot not to diss another DAW on another DAW’s forum but Cubasis is starting to feel deliberately striped down to me, or intentionally lacking the tools needed to go from consumer to professional. The ‘look’ and foundation is there but there seems to be omissions on purpose even with the latest updates adding new features. Maybe they want to protect their desktop product

I'm sure there's no conspiracy, but all devs have to juggle limited resources and prioritise. Cubasis does do some things particularly well, such as AU MIDI and MPE. I like using it for certain things, just not for final mixes.

The Roli integration was 🔥 but why wont the transport work with the loop block!?! Weird omission, especially seeing that they directly interacted to make it happen. It even works with BM3 without MPE. Even works in GarageBand. Stuff like that just seems intentional.

• edited February 2019

@Audiogus really like your track !! Nice experimental, lot of hidden complexity, lot of things is happening there :+1:

• @dendy said:
    @Audiogus really like your track !! Nice experimental, lot of hidden complexity, lot of things is happening there :+1:

Thanks Dendy! That is the sort of track too where the next step would be to render out some of those tracks and then approach it 'by hand' slicing bits, using faders, EQing and dynamics on individual clips etc. to smooth things out more and reduce the jarring bits. It would be hard to achieve that with just a single limiter, transient tool on a given track etc.

• @dendy said:

What Dendy said. Really digging this track.

• @Will said:

@dendy said:

What Dendy said. Really digging this track.

Thanks Will :)