AUv3 Acting Badly

Just in case anyone else is having problems with these apps...

PPG Infinite AUv3 is acting badly. One instance seems OK, but If I use a 2nd instance and I get a preset selected I can’t change it to another preset. Add another instance of PPG Infinite and it still plays the unknown preset, not Flying Pads which I have selected. This is on an iPad Pro, so it osn’t about not enough hardware processing power. I’ll have to think of this app as
a one AUv3 instance only app for now. Or use it as an IAA only app and record it into Audioshare. PPG Infinite AUv3 doesn’t appear to have this issue in Garage Band.

Volt AUv3 is acting badly in NS2. I can’t get the presets to change when selecting among the list of Factory Presets. In the Volt AUv3 mini panel view if I select the preset browser panel it doesn’t display a list of presets, but does lock up NS2 nicely, requiring me to force the app closed. This problem with Volt doesn’t occur in GB.

Comments

• A lot of AU’s use a great deal of CPU in NS2 on my Air 1. I either sample them or just use Obsidian.

• I’ve been working around the situation by using IAA into AudioShare a lot.
    AUv3 still seems to be the future, and I expect the road to be bumpy for a while, but it is interesting that some AU apps work much better than others. I’m just trying to get a feel for which ones are easier to use as AU and which are easier to use via IAA or AB.

• @SlapHappy said:
    I’ve been working around the situation by using IAA into AudioShare a lot.
    AUv3 still seems to be the future, and I expect the road to be bumpy for a while, but it is interesting that some AU apps work much better than others. I’m just trying to get a feel for which ones are easier to use as AU and which are easier to use via IAA or AB.

I feel your pain. I've delt with much of the same. I blame a lot of Auv3's messiness on apple. I remember after apple bought logic and transitioned to 64 bit they had an AU container in logic for 32 bit plugins to still work. It was sorta wonky but they really seemed to care about the handling of that rough transition, with the aim being to untether us from either being stuck with 32bit ram limitations or vastly overpaying for PT HD systems which were the only options. 64 bit finally set us free . With auv3 they set weird ram usage limits which sadly remind me of the 32 bit world of a decade ago (even tho iOS is 64 bit!), and to make it worse, no matter how powerful your iDevice is you can't utilize that power in music making. Whether it's lack of multicore support for audio apps, despite being on multicore iDevices smh, or these auv3 ram limits. And iOS keeps breaking stuff with every update, which they continuously push to your device. I just pray i don't hit that update button on accident. Lol, end of rant. Maybe AudioKit will create a more cohesive experience in the iOS framework when it goes auv3 since a lot of companies seem to be building on top of it.

• edited March 2019

we are still on beginning of road on iOS... things need settle down.. imagine 3-4 years from now, i’m pretty sure things will be lot better than now...

Especially if apple finally understands, that multicore support for audio apps is crucial. Maybe devs should create some initiative, some open letter to apple, because being locked to single core with audio apps is real shame. Apple’s shame.

• @dendy said:
    we are still on beginning of road on iOS... things need settle down.. imagine 3-4 years from now, i’m pretty sure things will be lot better than now...

Especially if apple finally understands, that multicore support for audio apps is crucial. Maybe devs should create some initiative, some open letter to apple, because being locked to single core with audio apps is real shame. Apple’s shame.

Ya. Seems like Adobe is who leaned on Apple for the graphical leaps. I wonder if it'll take an Avid or someone similar to do the same with Audio. Only problem is Apple has a vested interest due to Logic to keeping iOS music less than full featured. I really hope we aren't peaking in iOS music with developer interest etc. and that the next few years really give us these things. I also hope whatever 'unlock' for multicore support doesn't require app rewrites. Im seeing that just IAA to Auv3 cost us a lot of dead apps

• I also hope whatever 'unlock' for multicore support doesn't require app rewrites.

Don’t think that kind of rewrite which was showstopper for 32 bit apps. It would be more like “until you don’t change some (not significant) part of code, your app stays on single core”..

Hard to say, my iOS coding knowledge is just basic, i’m coding on different platform, but from what i know it’s unlikely that adding multicore support for audio thread would break current apps.

Holding fingers for that, from my point of view this would be major step forward for iOS audio platform because current too devices are really powerfull, and i think 1-2 years from now there will be no diffierence between latest top iPad Pro performance and latest top Macbook Pro performance.. which mindblowing !

• @dendy said:
    Holding fingers for that, from my point of view this would be major step forward for iOS audio platform because current too devices are really powerfull, and i think 1-2 years from now there will be no diffierence between latest top iPad Pro performance and latest top Macbook Pro performance.. which mindblowing !

Well, if macs are going on ARM, they’re not even that different anymore. I just hope that means more durable Macbook Pros because they are a nightmare. I’m sticking to iPads and desktops for now.