Nanostudio 2 Songs Megathread

Comments

• @dendy said:
    yeah.. good mix is art :-) usually at least 1/3 of time which i spend with track is just mixing .. boring part, not creative, but extremely important ..

Same here, and it's even worse with vocals, I find mixing a track with vocals much harder than mixing an instrumental, there's just so much more stuff to deal with (de-essing, finding the right compression and reverb, cleanup etc) and then it's always a challenge to mix the vocals so they can be heard clearly but without drowning out the music or the drums ;)

Anyway thanks for the advice, I've remixed the track with louder drums and also some automation so that the drums don't get lost in the chorus when the additional synths come in:

• LOT better now !!

• @dendy said:
    LOT better now !!

Thanks for the help!

• @richardyot said:

Really cool airy track. Yes, it’s unexpected but it’s just refreshing to hear great vocals and guitars on this thread

• edited March 2019

@Stiksi said:

@richardyot said:

Really cool airy track. Yes, it’s unexpected but it’s just refreshing to hear great vocals and guitars on this thread

Thanks for the listen, much appreciated.

I just listened to your track from earlier this month, very nice, it's great to hear such a melodic instrumental.

• @Stiksi said:
    Ok, I'm continuing my "light production" series with this nostalgic, very NS1 sounding piece. It's actually quite a bit like my very first track made with NS1 back in 2010, just you know, more nostalgic. Some light multiband compressing was done with Ableton Live but otherwise it's fully NS2. AUs used are Sunrizer and iSem.

I've had a few more listens to this since my last post, I love it. The drums and the vibe remind me of Emancipator, it's got a really cool atmosphere, and some great beats and melodies.

• edited March 2019

Second chapter of "Fairytale" journey. Time will show if story will continue ...

All synths Obsidian, FAC Transient on drums and sliced melodies, Bleass Delay on chords, Rozetta Arp on most of melodies :) rest is internal NS FXs...

• @richardyot said:

@Stiksi said:
    Ok, I'm continuing my "light production" series with this nostalgic, very NS1 sounding piece. It's actually quite a bit like my very first track made with NS1 back in 2010, just you know, more nostalgic. Some light multiband compressing was done with Ableton Live but otherwise it's fully NS2. AUs used are Sunrizer and iSem.

I've had a few more listens to this since my last post, I love it. The drums and the vibe remind me of Emancipator, it's got a really cool atmosphere, and some great beats and melodies.

Great track! Nice to hear vocals matching so well with NS2 and guitars. ...despite the lack of real Audio Tracks. Creativity will find a way. Really nice work on this track

• @richardyot said:

Thanks, I can definitely hear the similarity 🙂

• @richardyot said:
    This one is in an indie rock/shoegaze track, mostly done in NS2. I guess there might not be many people making this kind of music with NS2 but actually it's surprisingly well suited to it, obviously audio tracks will make it even better. The main reason that NS2 works so well for this genre IMO is the drum sequencing is so good, the combination of Slate and the linear sequencer are just perfect for creating interesting and organic drums, definitely the best on iOS IMO. Also experimenting with arrangements and song structure is really good in NS2 because it's so easy to move things around in the sequencer.

The guitars were done in several ways: the riff was recorded in AUM (using Link to sync with NS2) and then imported to Slate for triggering. The rhythm guitar was recorded the same way, and then two-bar loops were sequenced in Slate with the 4Pockets Shredder plugin to create the gated tremolo effect. The guitar solo was all done in Nanostudio, using the Roli Noise app (the Stadium Rock pack has some great lead guitars), I just played the solo on the on-screen keyboard and then drew some automation into the pitch lane to create some pretty convincing guitar-like phrasing. This was a lot easier than trying to actually record a guitar solo with timing that tight.

The bass and synths were mostly Obsidian, with some additional AUs (Syntronik and PPG Phonem)

Vocals were tracked in Auria, and final mixing was done there too.

Great track! Nice to hear vocals matching so well with NS2 and guitars. ...despite the lack of real Audio Tracks. Creativity will find a way. Really nice work on this track

• @dendy said:

Second chapter of "Fairytale" journey. Time will show if story will continue ...

All synths Obsidian, FAC Transient on drums and sliced melodies, Bleass Delay on chords, Rozetta Arp on most of melodies :) rest is internal NS FXs...

Tons of energy! The synths really dance along nicely on this track.

• edited March 2019

I recently released a 3 song EP using NS2.

https://song.link/i/1454873325

• T4HT4H
    edited March 2019

While working on putting together a downloadable drum kit I’ve been experimenting with using only NS2 stock sounds (no IAP, auv3 etc) and stock plug ins, with my drums/hats/808’s to see what I can achieve. Just put this together sitting on the couch in headphones real quick just now, so no mixing etc.

• Nice track @T4H 👍🏼

• @dendy magic bit of trance there mate. Great driving bass line and drums. Nice melodies and edits too.

• @LeeB said:
    Nice track @T4H 👍🏼

Thanks!

• @T4H said:
    While working on putting together a downloadable drum kit I’ve been experimenting with using only NS2 stock sounds (no IAP, auv3 etc) and stock plug ins, with my drums/hats/808’s to see what I can achieve. Just put this together sitting on the couch in headphones real quick just now, so no mixing etc.

Nice!
    It is amazing just how easy it can be to get something going in NS2.

• @T4H said:

Trapped with NS stock sounds doesn’t sound too bad 😀

• @SlapHappy said:

@T4H said:

Nice!
    It is amazing just how easy it can be to get something going in NS2.

Yes! I’m loving this App more and more

• @Stiksi said:

@T4H said:

Trapped with NS stock sounds doesn’t sound too bad 😀

😂 Not at all! Nice double entendre btw!

• Some really great stuff rolling in here! I’ve been so IRL busy I haven’t been working on anything, so I’m living vicariously through you all!

• " IRL busy" is a good name for a track! =);)

• Here's a ambient 'limitation project' I just finished: All IAA sounds. No Obsidian, Slate, or AU were harmed in the making of this track. Just because.

• edited March 2019

just BEAUTIFULL !!! great great great track ! Very cinematic atmosphere, powerfull.

No Obsidian, Slate or AU were harmed

Hm, are you sure that Slate was not harmed ? i guess all IAA samples are playing from Slate pads :-))

• THANK YOU!!

You’re right. I should have written no Slate Kits were harmed.

• @SlapHappy how did you use IAA in NS2?

• @SlapHappy said:
    Here's a ambient 'limitation project' I just finished: All IAA sounds. No Obsidian, Slate, or AU were harmed in the making of this track. Just because.

Well that was pretty epic, wow! 🤩

• @drez said:
    @SlapHappy how did you use IAA in NS2?

Through the back door: AudioShare. I find it pretty easy to use. Your mileage may vary.

@Cinebient thanks! I appreciate you giving it a listen. Can’t wait to hear what you’ll cook up when the iPhone update hits.

@Stiksi Stop! You’re making me blush...

• Here's something for the dads (and moms) who are feeling it. I've moved from Soundcloud to Youtube, which gave me a sudden boost in popularity in my 7-yo son's eyes because I now have a Youtube channel! :o

It's also up on bandcamp if you're really feeling it. But wait, there is more! I can also be hired to parties as a dancer. I'm sure you will want to after watching the video B) I am definitely not desperate!

• @SlapHappy said:
    Here's a ambient 'limitation project' I just finished: All IAA sounds. No Obsidian, Slate, or AU were harmed in the making of this track. Just because.

Very nice chilled track. Beautiful sounds there.

This discussion has been closed.