AudioVeek MIDI tools : MIDI route and NS2 : I can’t find a way to make it work

Hi,
the release of AudioVeek Midi Tools was a very good news for NS2 (and BM3) users, as it should compensate for the lack of midi flexibility in our favorite iOS daw. But, as it really solves these issues in BM3, it really doesn’t in NS2 and I can’t figure why. I’m taking about the most useful of these plugins, MIDI Route, which allows to record the output of midi FX plugins like Rozeta. MIDI Route can’t see NS2 as an output, it only shows Network session. I tried several configuration but I never find the way to record the midi output of Rozeta or StepPolyArp, but it now works perfectly in BM3. Is there a reason for that ? Am I missing something? Thank you for your help.

Comments

• There is bug in NS, it doesn't sent MIDI into AUfx ... you need wait to upcoming update, it will be fixed.

• Thanks @dendy and @Cyril :) I was wondering the same thing. On this, is there a sticky thread for AUs (midi, instrument and fx) which are known to work well with NS2? I think I've seen something like this for BM3 or some other host, it would be helpful in these early days of audio units.

• edited March 2019

@dendy said:
    There is bug in NS, it doesn't sent MIDI into AUfx ... you need wait to upcoming update, it will be fixed.

Actually, I think the problem in this case is NS2 doesn’t expose its midi virtual port as a core midi destination. The beauty of MidiRoute is it bypasses internal AUv3 midi routing by sending out to core midi, where the host can then pick it up. But, it has to be able to send to a named virtual port. NS2 only listens to other named ports, not to its own.

Or something like that. 😬
    (Please ignore this whole post if I’ve gotten that wrong)

This also affects NS2’s ability to work with other apps that don’t publish their own virtual ports, and can only send to other apps by name.

This should be something much easier to fix than internal AUv3 midi routing, and would make NS2 more compatible with other apps as well.

• @number37 said:
    Actually, I think the problem in this case is NS2 doesn’t expose its midi virtual port as a core midi destination. The beauty of MidiRoute is it bypasses internal AUv3 midi routing by sending out to core midi, where the host can then pick it up. But, it has to be able to send to a named virtual port. NS2 only listens to other named ports, not to its own.

That's correct. It's possible to work around this in some cases by using the MIDIroute app though.

• edited March 2019

@richardyot said:

@number37 said:

That's correct. It's possible to work around this in some cases by using the MIDIroute app though.

In NS2? I thought that wouldn’t work in NS2 yet. Have you made it work?

• @number37 said:

@richardyot said:

@number37 said:

In NS2? I thought that wouldn’t work in NS2 yet. Have you made it work?

This is how I get around the lack of named virtual MIDI input in NS2, it might not work for all use cases though:

• Damn that’s a good solution. Thanks. 👍