Audio files

Will we be able to load in audio files in a track soon?

Comments

• You can load audio files into Obsidian or Slate, very long audiofiles even. Audio tracks will be released in an update but no definite date yet.

• I use audio clips in Slate, and the main difference I anticipate with Audio Clips in Slate and Audio Tracks is the visual representation of the sound. Sure, separate audio routing for the Audio Track might be nice, but one can have an entire instance of Slate just for one Audio Clip. Fetures like Time-Stretch might be nice for some people on actual Audio Tracks, but for the way I’m using audio, Slate does the trick for me. So I guess the real question @pheotus is what do you plan to do with audio? Slate might just work.

• edited March 2019

Visualization will be cool, for sure, but for me the audio track update is pretty much entirely about being able to start playback anywhere within the audio file instead of needing to scroll back to the initial trigger.

• That is a good point. Do you often run into that issue?
    I’m using samples that are usually 1-2 measures long and rarely 4 measures long, so I don’t run into that issue unless I do a long phrase. But then I am usually composing with MIDI or AU, and only turn that into an Audio Clip once it is locked down. I’ll keep the MIDI track muted and use the Audio Clip most of the time, but I would switch and have the MIDI/AU active if I really need to focus on parts that would be after the starts of the Audio Clip. Hopefully it’ll he a case of form follows function and I’ll adapt my workflow to take advantage of Audio Tracks when that function is available.

• edited March 2019

@Will

two things

1/ sorry, i edited by mistake your post :))))) i though i'm doing reply but i did edit instead, dumb me.. i'm not sure if i didn't deleted some part of your post

2/

Visualization will be cool, for sure, but for me the audio track update is pretty much entirely about being able to start playback anywhere within the audio file instead of needing to scroll back to the initial trigger.

But it is important to add that this is doable already now, for not too long audio - until it is shorter than 18-20 bars, then sample start automation works perfectly for this purpose ;)

• Yes, Will's post now looks to be about 1/3 of the original size.
    I'm not sure what you mean dendy. I was thinking about the standard audio file graphic depiction. Sometimes it is handy to see the audio and get the visual feedback of where a chord starts or where a particular hit comes in. When I use long Audio Clips I draw out a single note that stretches 1-4 measures. That usually is enough visual representation for me when composing. Is this what you mean?

• @dendy said:
    But it is important to add that this is doable already now, for not too long audio - until it is shorter that around 18-20 bars, they sample stat automation works perfectly for this purpose ;)

Of course. I mean for full length (2-5 minute) audio tracks.

• edited March 2019

Totally looking forward to audio tracks. I find myself working on projects now, with BM3 running linked and then getting to a point where I tell myself I will just go back to them once audio tracks are in so I can import my BM3 bits easier. I played around importing into slate and the obsidian trick, but even just coarse editing of audio clips on tracks will be so much nicer for me when the time comes.

• edited March 2019

I totally understand the advice that you can use slate for audio.

However, for almost every use I have for an audio track, Slate will not suffice.

I want to be able to record in audio, say a guitar track, and edit it in place. I want to be able to keep playing takes over a loop To come up with ideas. I want to be able to arrange my song by moving things around, maybe inserting a section or making a section longer.

I may just want to bounce a synth in place And free up cpu cycles and then do all the things I need above.

I have tried using slate and run into frustrations immediately.

So as it stands I just use NS2 for short ideas, playing around, etc and always reach a point where I need to export the stems and take them elsewhere.

I am therefore very much looking forward to audio tracks in NS2.

I will not be using Slate as a workaround to real audio tracks. It may work for you; it absolutely does not for me.

I bought Ns2 knowing that audio tracks where missing and promised. However I bought if for what it can do today not for what it might be able to do one day.

Having said that I’m looking forward to it NS2 becoming a DAW I can stay in from start to finish, it’s not there yet. But when it is I expect to be all in on Ns2.

One last thing..: I have noticed talk on the forum talk of audio tracks being a future IAP? If this is true may I suggest that this is stated on the App Store description as the way it’s currently worded it doesn’t make this clear.

• edited March 2019

@klownshed said:

One last thing..: I have noticed talk on the forum talk of audio tracks being a future IAP? If this is true may I suggest that this is stated on the App Store description as the way it’s currently worded it doesn’t make this clear.

It's very carefully worded to comply to Apple's guidelines. As I understand it, you can't make promises about future features or even mention them, even IAPs, in the App Store description.

I am pretty sure that audio tracks will be an IAP based on what we know.

• @Stiksi said:

@klownshed said:

It's very carefully worded to comply to Apple's guidelines. As I understand it, you can't make promises about future features or even mention them, even IAPs, in the App Store description.

I am pretty sure that audio tracks will be an IAP based on what we know.

I posted this from my phone so couldn’t check the App Store description.

I am sure it did mention audio tracks before so the description must have been changed since I purchased NS2. So that’s cool.

It makes sense that you can’t mention future features.

• edited March 2019

I see as probably biggest advantage of true audio tracks possibility to quickly cut, copy, paste and rearrange parts of recorded audio directly on timeline ... This is something with big creative potential..

Anyway it will be cool :-) I don't need audio tracks for my workflow, but i can almost see how people will be excited when AT will be released :-)))

• this is a little off topic but I didn't wanna pollute the board creating a new thread. @dendy or anyone in the know, Is it possible to have all the mix down stems start at 0 (the beginning of the song)? When I'm bouncing the stems, a sound that is for the chorus, that doesn't play until 1 minute in, always bounces the point from its first note, not from 0. So I end up with a bunch of stems with almost random starting points instead of being able to drop everything into an Audio Daw at 0 for mixing/song recording.

• edited March 2019

@iPadBeatMaking just turn off “Trim start silence” in export page ;)

Eventually if you want export exact length, not just from same point but also same length based on loop selection in sequencer, disable also two other options (render tail and trim end silence)

• edited March 2019

@dendy said:
    @iPadBeatMaking just turn off “Trim start silence” in export page ;)

Eventually if you want export exact length, not just from same point but also same length based on loop selection in sequencer, disable also two other options (render tail and trim end silence)

🔥 Thanks! Is it possible to name stems/tracks custom prior to the mixdown phase and have that name reflected on the .wavs (instead of ‘1-obsidian ba bass’, be changed to for instance, ‘808’) or is it always the track number and chosen instrument & patch?

• edited March 2019

Mixdown naming is fixed to “1-whatever”. You cannot affect numbering, but you can affect “whatever” part ;). By default it is “instrument name patch name” - but if you change mixer track name (open mixer track detail, and in first tab “Settings” tap pencil icon or directly that grey rectangle and set custom track name - this name is then used in mixer, sequencer and also during export)

• edited March 2019

@dendy said:
    Mixdown naming is fixed to “1-whatever”. You cannot affect numbering, but you can affect “whatever” part ;). By default it is “instrument name patch name” - but if you change mixer track name (open mixer track detail, and in first tab “Settings” tap pencil icon or directly that grey rectangle and set custom track name - this name is then used in mixer, sequencer and also during export)

Wow, I've been wanting to do that for a while and kept trying to do it from the sequencer screen. Im glad theres a solution! One more question. If I make a single track in slate, and record a kick, snare, and hi hats all at once in one take (basically a beat foundation) how do I separate those elements into -sub tracks by pad or split them (each pad) for the stems in mix down? For instance do i need to make 3 duplicate tracks and then cut and paste one element from each or is there a more elegant solution?

• No other solution than manually create another Slates and copy paste banks and midi data... For now this is only way.

I can imagine that some way of highlighting few pads and then somewhere in menu action "new Slate from selected pads" would be really handy.

• @dendy said:
    I can imagine that some way of highlighting few pads and then somewhere in menu action "new Slate from selected pads" would be really handy.

That would be 🔥🔥🔥!

• edited March 2019

@iPadBeatMaking said:

@dendy said:

That would be 🔥🔥🔥!

Indeed. I just copy the whole slate kit and only use the pads I care about in the new kit because it's not really using any extra resources but my inner keep-it-tidy-nerd would smile on a feature like this.

• I just mute the rest like the slob I am 🤷‍♂️