SynthJacker: Auto Sampler app

Comments

• @coniferprod This sounds fantastic!!! I am really looking forward to using SynthJacker. Thanks for the help!

• SynthJacker is now available on the App Store for many more countries than earlier. The Spring Equinox sale is still on until Sunday. Next update with AUv3 support is in the works. Have a nice weekend everyone!

• . Next update with AUv3 support is in the works

:+1:
    This will be MAJOR update. I would even consider it as IAP ;-)

• Ahem. SynthJacker v0.3.2 with AUv3 support is now on the App Store.

What's new:

• Support for instrument Audio Units: now you can autosample your AUv3 MIDI synths. SynthJacker hosts the Audio Units, and no extra hardware is needed.
    • Many small fixes and improvements.

Have a great weekend everyone!

• WOW !! goi g to check it, awesome !,,

• it’s cool, but few things which would be nice to fix:

• after opening and closing plugin interface, when i open it again it is not responsive (stucked, knibs don’t react on touch) or not displayed at all (but it is still playing). After loading other plugin and then back previous one, interface is again displayed correctly but just if opened first time.. second time - same issue again (tried it with Model D, Sunrizer and Ripplemaker)

• recorded notes contains small silence at beginning - it would be nice to apply trim sillence at beginning and end automatically when saving individual notes

• in plugin interface, keys doesn’t react at whole height - bottom part where are notes doesn’t play (th

• semitones between notes - it would be nice to have there also 12 .. sometimes i want sample just c0, c1, c2,...

With this above fixed / added - perfect tool for me :) very handy :+1:

• @dendy said:
    it’s cool, but few things which would be nice to fix:

• after opening and closing plugin interface, when i open it again it is not responsive (stucked, knibs don’t react on touch) or not displayed at all (but it is still playing). After loading other plugin and then back previous one, interface is again displayed correctly but just if opened first time.. second time - same issue again (tried it with Model D, Sunrizer and Ripplemaker)

Thanks for your feedback! I noticed that sometimes the AU view does not show on the second time, but I didn't notice the unresponsiveness. They might be related; will investigate.

• recorded notes contains small silence at beginning - it would be nice to apply trim sillence at beginning and end automatically when saving individual notes

About how long a silence? It might be due to the AU not being prepared in time for playback, but I didn't find it too much. I typically trim samples using Hokusai anyway, but to save the extra step, trim silence would indeed be useful.

• in plugin interface, keys doesn’t react at whole height - bottom part where are notes doesn’t play (th

The keyboard is an external library, I'll see what I can do...

• semitones between notes - it would be nice to have there also 12 .. sometimes i want sample just c0, c1, c2,...

Hmm, I went with the old wisdom that five semitones is about the biggest feasible interval. But that might be easy to add.

With this above fixed / added - perfect tool for me :) very handy :+1:

Glad you like it! I'll try to iron the wrinkles out...

• About how long a silence?

it's always different - but looks like between 10 and 50 ms in most cases

here one example, it is not same even on all wavs from single run

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t0xkfqyui2h4a2x/kkk.zip?dl=0

• edited March 2019

I’m finding the same thing with some variable silence at the beginning of the wav. Also would like (maybe as an option) to normalize wav to something like -1 dB. Pretty cool app anyway. Caustic has a similar function but that’s Caustic only. There’s a few AU’s I have to dig out to pull some sounds out of that otherwise use too much CPU so I don’t use them. Thanks!

PS - I’m with @dendy about octave sampling. Often that’s sufficient.

• normalize wav to something like -1 dB.

yeah, that would be another time saver

• edited March 2019

@anickt said:
    I’m finding the same thing with some variable silence at the beginning of the wav. Also would like (maybe as an option) to normalize wav to something like -1 dB. Pretty cool app anyway. There’s a few AU’s I have to dig out to pull some sounds out of that otherwise use too much CPU so I don’t use them. Thanks!

PS - I’m with @dendy about octave sampling. Often that’s sufficient.

I agree with all the above. This is a really nice accomplishment for iOS. Auto trimming at the beginning of the sample would be nice so there’s no dead silence. Also auto normalize options would speed up workflows greatly, and the option to go up to 12 semitones, as stated. I love the ‘obsidian import ready’ exports! This is really really cool!

I also really like how you integrated the au section along with the ability to select the patches as well as the naming options. A lot of this feels so pro already. Lots of potential!

A couple issues/wishes:

I’m noticing on AU’s without an initializing ‘playlist of presets’ such as the roli noise app I can’t get it to work. On the keyboard page that displays the AU, the touch screen on the AU seems to be unresponsive, however the keyboard responds to key pressing graphically, but not audibly. Might be just Roli Auv3 or might be a bigger issue. Idk.

Can auto-batch record options from the playlist on the left be made possible/added with multiple AU’s being able to be loaded at once? Then Press ‘record all’ and it works its magic? I’d gladly pay IAP for it.

Can auto-batch recording an entire AUv3’s preset bank be added? Sorry, I have to ask. Again. I’d gladly pay IAP for it.

Also can the (random/funny) auto names on the left be turned off? If it could automatically follow the loaded Auv3 patch(es) it’d make more sense (to me).

I’ll probably be very unpopular for saying this, but I think it’s way too cheap! I think if you could add those items and maybe a nice audio editor/auto-looper (maybe there’s one in it and I missed it) you could add it as IAP etc. Overall sir, I would really consider charging more for this very capable tool. 10$ feels better as an entry price and then 5-10$ per addition (to me). I don’t know the market, or how others feel, but I’d pay for it.

If anything I wished for is already possible please enlighten me, thanks!

• I’ll probably be very unpopular for saying this, but I think it’s way too cheap!

This !! Totally agree !!

• @Will said:
    Has anyone tried physical MIDI loop back to get 'virtual' instruments recorded? IConnect4Audio among others should be to handle it.

I bought it for the AU App Hosting feature but it is premature due to the chopping of the samples not be accurate. So, I tried the Loop-back idea (treating the iPad as an external MIDI device that gets recorded from audio in) using my PreSonus AudioBus $99 interface: looped MIDI IN to OUT and Audio Outs to Ins and made some excellent sample sets from Ravenscroft 275 and imported them in AudioLayer. Should be an excellent tool to stick Obsidian. And when the AU feature is fine tuned the Loop Back won't be required. Loop Back allows for IAA Apps to be sampled.

• edited April 2019

Seems like a super useful app and I look forward to eating up my remaining 100gigs of storage! :)

Would be so nice if Synthjacker had an ‘export to NS2’ option. I get too much of this in iOS lately...

• Is there no stereo recording?

• edited April 2019

Would be so nice if Synthjacker had an ‘export to NS2’ option.

yeah standard "open in" picker would be nice .. if you send "zip" file into stndard apple "open in" picker, it offers Nanostudio2 .. NS after receiving automatically unpacks that file (with preserving subdirectiories) into Library/ ... super simple workflow

@coniferprod

if you want, i can even send you description / example of Obsidian patch - it's plain XML format placed in subdirectory together with wav files - it's really simple you just replace some part in that XML file with list of used wav files for each of three layers (oscillators) and done - this way, if you open such directly zipped in Nanostudio, NS adds patch automatically to Obsidian patches library .. that would be ultracool :)

• @dendy said:

Would be so nice if Synthjacker had an ‘export to NS2’ option.

yeah standard "open in" picker would be nice .. if you send "zip" file into stndard apple "open in" picker, it offers Nanostudio2 .. NS after receiving automatically unpacks that file (with preserving subdirectiories) into Library/ ... super simple workflow

@coniferprod

if you want, i can even send you description / example of Obsidian patch - it's plain XML format placed in subdirectory together with wav files - it's really simple you just replace some part in that XML file with list of used wav files for each of three layers (oscillators) and done - this way, if you open such directly zipped in Nanostudio, NS adds patch automatically to Obsidian patches library .. that would be ultracool :)

Stereo would be nice... unless I have missed where/how to do that or messed up my audio connection...?

• Thank you all for your comments and feedback! I think I have now entered all bug reports and enhancement ideas into the issue tracker, and will now proceed to reproduce the bugs and try to fix them.

I have to say, this is the best and most feedback I've ever received on any app. You guys are really into this stuff, but so am I.

• @coniferprod said:
    Thank you all for your comments and feedback! I think I have now entered all bug reports and enhancement ideas into the issue tracker, and will now proceed to reproduce the bugs and try to fix them.

I have to say, this is the best and most feedback I've ever received on any app. You guys are really into this stuff, but so am I.

One thing I would find really helpful would be the ability to send the MIDI out to virtual MIDI ports on the iPad. That way we could figure out ways to route the audio back in via an interface.

At the moment I can easily loop the audio back into SynthJacker by simply putting a cable from the output of my interface back into the input, but I simply cannot find a way to route the MIDI so that it can drive internal synths.

The reason I want to do this is so I can sample IAA synths.

• edited April 2019

Sneak preview:

EDIT: :# The interesting post-processing options are below the fold... those naming options were already in 0.2.3.

• :heart: looking forward for update !!

• Woah!! @coniferprod that looks sweet!!!

• V0.4.0 is on the App Store, with the post-processing stuff discussed above. Enjoy!

• GREAT !

• edited April 2019

@dendy said:
    GREAT !

With 6 and 12 semitones options, too! :-)

Also, I think I was able to make the preset list behave nicely. There are still some nagging problems with Audio Unit views (and AU playback), but getting better.

Samples from AUs are stereo, whereas samples from external synths are in mono — I simply haven’t figured out how to select some other input besides the first. I know it’s possible since GarageBand and Cubasis are doing it, but it caused me a lot of head-scratching and I had to put it aside for a while to concentrate on the post-processing.

As always, thanks for the feedback, and I hope it will be even more useful to you now. Let me know if there are any showstopper issues, or if you have come up with creative ways of ”synthjacking”.

• edited April 2019

Just now finally tried new version - that posprocessing is really huge time saver !

it caused me a lot of head-scratching and I had to put it aside for a while to concentrate on the post-processing

if it goes not that way, just use workaround - add stereo > mono as optional posprocessing conversion ;-)

• Great update! I have asked the dev to look at normalization because normalized file is not as loud as it should be. He's on it. Thanks @coniferprod

• @anickt said:
    Great update! I have asked the dev to look at normalization because normalized file is not as loud as it should be. He's on it. Thanks @coniferprod

The normalization is actually straight out of AudioKit, so maybe I’m just using it wrong. I got decent results sampling a bass sound from an external synth and normalizing after, but I’ll look into it.

• edited April 2019

@coniferprod said:

@anickt said:
    Great update! I have asked the dev to look at normalization because normalized file is not as loud as it should be. He's on it. Thanks @coniferprod

The normalization is actually straight out of AudioKit, so maybe I’m just using it wrong. I got decent results sampling a bass sound from an external synth and normalizing after, but I’ll look into it.

I’ll send you some screenshots of what I’m seeing. Thanks!

PS - it's still an awesome and very useful app!!