NanoStudio 2.0.1 now available

2»

Comments

• @Invalid said:
    What is the method they suggest to use for audio?

Same as always. Record into Slate. Works fine, I did this for a long time in NS1, and you can still do it NS2. But this flow doesn't work that well for me any more. I've been holding off diving deep into NS2 because of this.

• Wonderful update! Having the main outs means I can finally record NS2 with my AUM sessions.

Apologies if it's been discussed already and I missed it.. but does anyone know if there are plans to have individual channel outs for Audiobus? Most other daws have this feature, as do many standalone apps with more than one soundsource.

• edited May 2019

@JimHanks @Invalid

You can use are Obsidian as audio tracks "workaround" in my opinion that works better than Slate - because of one simple trick - sample start automation:

Example - lets say you have 4 bars long audio file.

• load it to Obsiian sampler oscillator
    • create Macro knob -> sample start modulation
    • in sequencer, create part exactly 4 bars long (this is important, part must have same length as audio file) , put inside notes (instead of one 4 bar long note put there let's say 16th (or 32th - sometimes it works better with 16th notes, sometimes with 32th notes) notes
    • draw macro (sample start) automation straignt from 0 (beginning of part) to 100 (end of part)

Now you get 2 advantages

• no matter where in part you hit "play" - it starts immediately play from right position
    • you get for "free" some kind of "fake timestretch" - try increase project tempo, it works pretty well in many cases, sample is not pitched just played faster. It's based on old good trick used in trackers many years ago :)

Here is Video with showcase :
    https://blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/355/little-trick-for-timestretched-drumloop

to save time, i have saved patch "_audioTrack" with already set sampler oscillator and macro8 > all sample offset mapping - so i just load patch (thanks to underscore it's always on top in patch list ;)), load sample...

• @Invalid said:

@JimHanks said:
    What, no audio tracks? ;):p

Good to see I’m not the only one who was wondering where the audio tracks are. Not a huge deal to me but I’m wondering what the reason is for this? What is the method they suggest to use for audio?

as @JimHanks said, currently the main way to deal with audio clips is to put them into Slate. Slate pads can be set to Trigger Mode: One Shot, which will play entire clip (primarily I use this for drum samples), or pads can be set to Trigger Mode: Sustain, which I use for longer audio clips like evolving pads or arps by setting a single note in the piano roll for the desired duration. This could be done with vocals, guitar solos, etc., anything up to about 2 hours long. Anything longer would need to be broken up in to smaller takes.

Actual Audio Tracks are expected sometime this year. There were some initial requests from Users that were addressed in the initial update, and it appears that the Universal iPhone version will be next, and Audio Tracks to follow that with the idea that the dev doesn't want to go too far down the iPad development route and get to a point where it doesn't work well on iPhone. I worry that this time next year NS2 will be a perfect app and we will have run out of things to anticipate. After so many years, I won't know what to do with myself and will be forced to actually concentrate on making music... :s

• @SlapHappy said:

@Invalid said:

@JimHanks said:
    What, no audio tracks? ;):p

Good to see I’m not the only one who was wondering where the audio tracks are. Not a huge deal to me but I’m wondering what the reason is for this? What is the method they suggest to use for audio?

as @JimHanks said, currently the main way to deal with audio clips is to put them into Slate. Slate pads can be set to Trigger Mode: One Shot, which will play entire clip (primarily I use this for drum samples), or pads can be set to Trigger Mode: Sustain, which I use for longer audio clips like evolving pads or arps by setting a single note in the piano roll for the desired duration. This could be done with vocals, guitar solos, etc., anything up to about 2 hours long. Anything longer would need to be broken up in to smaller takes.

Actual Audio Tracks are expected sometime this year. There were some initial requests from Users that were addressed in the initial update, and it appears that the Universal iPhone version will be next, and Audio Tracks to follow that with the idea that the dev doesn't want to go too far down the iPad development route and get to a point where it doesn't work well on iPhone. I worry that this time next year NS2 will be a perfect app and we will have run out of things to anticipate. After so many years, I won't know what to do with myself and will be forced to actually concentrate on making music... :s

Don’t forget the promised convo reverb!

• @SlapHappy
    I worry that this time next year NS2 will be a perfect app and we will have run out of things to anticipate.

Don't underestimate people, they are never satisfied and always wants more :-))))

• @dendy said:

@SlapHappy
    I worry that this time next year NS2 will be a perfect app and we will have run out of things to anticipate.

Don't underestimate people, they are never satisfied and always wants more :-))))

Like people asking for features on apps that aren’t even released yet!? =)

• @dendy said:
    @JimHanks @Invalid

You can use are Obsidian as audio tracks "workaround" in my opinion that works better than Slate - because of one simple trick - sample start automation:

Now you get 2 advantages

• no matter where in part you hit "play" - it starts immediately play from right position

:o
    That. Changes. Everything.
    :o

Well, not everything. I still really want real audio tracks, but that is probably the biggest single reason I moved away from NS1 when working with MIDI and audio together. I really need that "play from here" feature going back and forth from MIDI to audio.

This might be enough to get me back into NS2.

It's been said before, but I'll say it again:
    Dendy Rocks!
    :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

• Any before and after pics/video on the iPad Pro optimization? I’m curious before updating on what looks different

• @dendy said:

@SlapHappy

I have a list, don't you worry...

• I’ve had hardly any time to get to grips with this beast, but I’m back, looking forward to audio tracks, and enjoying every minute I spend in this gorgeously intuitive workflow. Thanks, Matt.

This discussion has been closed.