Is there a Whirlpool-type patch from Eden in NS2?

I have not updated because I use the Nanostudio 1 Whirlpool Eden patch a lot for live stuff. Is there anything similar in Obsidian, or can it be recreated with Obsidian?

Comments

• @dockd said:
    I have not updated because I use the Nanostudio 1 Whirlpool Eden patch a lot for live stuff. Is there anything similar in Obsidian, or can it be recreated with Obsidian?

Uh, could you post a sample of it? Don’t have a working copy of NS1 anymore… 😭

• edited May 2019

Hah, one of my old challenges where i was never satisfied with result .. Basic problem is, that original sound uses some Eden's features which are not 1:1 implemented in Obsidian.

• oscillator sync - in Eden there are synced osc1 vs. osc2 - in Obsidian each "analog" type oscillator sync with itself. basic sound character is similiar, but it can differ in details ..

• original patch uses "Vintage Sqr 3" wave - which is present in Obsidian in "wavetable" oscillator, but problem is that wavetable oscillator doesn't have "self sync mode" - so be able use sync mode, you need switch to "analog" oscillator default square - which has a bit different character than "vintage sql 3"

Anyway - this is most close i was able to get ... maybe with a bit more tweaking you can go even closer (attached zip file contains Obsidian patch, just import it to NS2)

• Thanks much for both quick responses. I think dendy makes the point, which confirms what little I could glean initially from looking at the early screen shots and whatnot. As well, I especially like the dual xy pads for performance, now I see reduced to one.

Picking up on Stiksi, I wonder whether it could be sampled and reworked, either the patch itself, or the waves?

If/when I make the plunge, I will definitely try the attached patch

• @dockd said:
    Thanks much for both quick responses. I think dendy makes the point, which confirms what little I could glean initially from looking at the early screen shots and whatnot. As well, I especially like the dual xy pads for performance, now I see reduced to one.

Picking up on Stiksi, I wonder whether it could be sampled and reworked, either the patch itself, or the waves?

If/when I make the plunge, I will definitely try the attached patch

I guess you could multisample it. Everything that’s affecting OSC sync would have to be included in the samples but the rest, the LFOs and Envelopes that aren’t connected to sync and effects, can be done in Obsidian. That would probably be the most versatile approach. You would get the original sound’s character but have the massive set of sound design tools in Obsidian that Eden didn’t have.

• @dendy said:
    Hah, one of my old challenges where i was never satisfied with result .. Basic problem is, that original sound uses some Eden's features which are not 1:1 implemented in Obsidian.

• oscillator sync - in Eden there are synced osc1 vs. osc2 - in Obsidian each "analog" type oscillator sync with itself. basic sound character is similiar, but it can differ in details ..

• original patch uses "Vintage Sqr 3" wave - which is present in Obsidian in "wavetable" oscillator, but problem is that wavetable oscillator doesn't have "self sync mode" - so be able use sync mode, you need switch to "analog" oscillator default square - which has a bit different character than "vintage sql 3"

Anyway - this is most close i was able to get ... maybe with a bit more tweaking you can go even closer (attached zip file contains Obsidian patch, just import it to NS2)

I think I love you, you fucking synth nerd.