What have you learned in NS2?

2»

Comments

  • @db909 said:
    Well I’ve discovered my favorite “hot key combo” for lack of a better term. It’s draw and then loop to selection. Oh I need a thing right there? Draw it, loop to selection, play. Boom. So simple. Best linear sequencer I’ve ever used hands down. I had gotten away from them for quite a while due to frustrations with the typical GUIs and had adopted a loop launching workflow. But this has got me back on the timeline and I’m loving it.

    Exactly this. Loop to selection is so nicely implemented and easy to use both on the main timeline and in pattern editing. I use it a lot.

  • @db909 do you know that for "loop to selection" you even don't need open actions submenu and tap directly to "loop to selection" , just double tap "actions" button does it too ?

    And when you are inside part editor, "actions" does same thing - loop to part which you are currently editing

  • @dendy said:
    @db909 do you know that for "loop to selection" you even don't need open actions submenu and tap directly to "loop to selection" , just double tap "actions" button does it too ?

    And when you are inside part editor, "actions" does same thing - loop to part which you are currently editing

    Wow I did NOT know that. It just keeps getting better. Is there a master list somewhere of the double tap actions? Might be good to have them in one place

  • This is amazing! I think I might just get NS2 and get Factory Synth some day later👍🏼

  • @Tones4Christ said:
    This is amazing! I think I might just get NS2 and get Factory Synth some day later👍🏼

    Check out the Creations category. Lots of great stuff done with NS2. Welcome to the forum!

  • Thanks will do.👍🏼

    @anickt said:

    @Tones4Christ said:
    This is amazing! I think I might just get NS2 and get Factory Synth some day later👍🏼

    Check out the Creations category. Lots of great stuff done with NS2. Welcome to the forum!

  • @db909 said:

    @dendy said:
    @db909 do you know that for "loop to selection" you even don't need open actions submenu and tap directly to "loop to selection" , just double tap "actions" button does it too ?

    And when you are inside part editor, "actions" does same thing - loop to part which you are currently editing

    Wow I did NOT know that. It just keeps getting better. Is there a master list somewhere of the double tap actions? Might be good to have them in one place

    I don't think there's a master list but that's a good idea. Maybe we should start a "double taps" thread to crowdsource the list? Can find a bunch by searching the manual with google though. https://www.google.com/search?q="double+tap"+site:https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/nanostudio2/user-manual/

    For instance, I just learned about this one by surfing those results:

    When the song editor's view is zoomed in the track header has enough room to reveal extra mute/solo buttons and an audio output level meter:

    DOUBLE TAP ON THE TRACK NAME to view the instrument assigned to the track.
    DOUBLE TAP ON THE METER to view the mixer's track.

    Also learned that you can "DOUBLE TAP on the scroll bar handles to toggle between minimum and maximum zoom".

    Some of my most used double taps in song mode:

    • DT on the background (no clip) to select all
    • DT on the ZOOM button to toggle zoom-to-selection/previous zoom
    • DT on the GRID button to toggle snap-to-grid
    • DT on the ACTIONS button to set the song loop to the select items
    • DT on the PROPERTIES button to toggle MUTE on selected items

    (Bonus: most of these work within the part and automation editors as well.)

    I find I'm often selecting a few clips on the timeline and then I DT "Actions" to set the loop and DT "Zoom" to fill the screen with that loop.

    I love the snap-to-grid toggle with unbridled abandon. I mostly work off the grid in the part editor but sometimes, I quickly want to set stuff directly on beat—this double tap makes moving back and forth between those mental models totally seamless.

    A few others...

    • DT INSIDE the loop region to toggle the loop on or off.
    • DT OUTSIDE the loop region to move the start point of the loop region to the desired position.
    • DT the song position/time indicator (up top) to toggle between bars/beats or minutes/seconds.
    • DT the metronome icon in that same window to toggle metronome modes
    • DT the STOP button to rewind to the start of the song (instead of the start of the loop)
  • Hmm... that's prolly enough to start the crowdsourcing thread. I didn't realize I'd rambled about them for that long. :)

  • That’s all great info. I use some of those, haven’t gotten into the habit of using some of them (yet!), and didn’t know a few. How brilliant is NS2!?! Thanks @Will

  • edited May 31

    Maybe already mentioned but made much use of this on a project tonight...

    Named regions/markers:

    Presuming you have some sort of "master" track that doesn't have note/part data (or if you don't, just make an empty track) at the top of your project in song view...

    Create "song sections" by tapping DRAW and inserting empty parts corresponding to your song's sections onto this track. You can name/color them as you see fit. Then, if you want to work on the chorus, no matter how the actual tracks may or may not overlap, you can tap once on the (empty) "Chorus" or "Drop 42" clip on your master track and then double tap "Actions" to loop just that section.

    Since you can use multiple 'empty' tracks for markers, it's essentially infinitely granular named markers/regions. The thing I'm working on tonight has big regions like "part 2" and "part 3" and each of those has a few sub-sections I wanted to pay attention to. I created an extra "no instrument" track named "markers" just to draw/name/color those sub-sections, making it easy to select and loop just those sub-sections. So, one track had empty regions for the larger regions like "part 1", "part 2" etc and one had empty regions for the sub-sections. Worked like a magical charm. Thanks, Matt!

  • edited May 31

    @Will great overview of DT actions, going to link it in tips & tricks thread !

    Create "song sections" by tapping DRAW and inserting empty parts corresponding to your song's sections onto this track. You can name them as you see fit. Then, if you want to work on the chorus, no matter how the "real tracks" may or may not overlap, you can tap once on the (empty) "Chorus" or "Drop 42" clip on your master track and then double tap "Actions" to loop just that section.

    Fuck this is BRILLIANT idea !! Going to use this, really REALLY like this idea !!

  • Yes, thinking along this, I could imagine a 'meta - song-mode', where these song sections would have properties like 'loop that for a minute' and then 'commence to that part', 'restart', etc. ... A sort of 'actions' menu like the one in quantum, for the empty 'master-track' ;)

  • @dendy said:
    @Will great overview of DT actions, going to link it in tips & tricks thread !

    Cool but there's way more and I like @db909's idea of having a master list of NS2 double taps. Let's use it as a starting point for a crowd-sourced "SHOW ME YER DOUBLE TAPS" thread and then link to that thread from the tips and tricks thread.

  • @Will said:
    Maybe already mentioned but made much use of this on a project tonight...

    Named regions/markers:

    Presuming you have some sort of "master" track that doesn't have note/part data (or if you don't, just make an empty track) at the top of your project in song view...

    Create "song sections" by tapping DRAW and inserting empty parts corresponding to your song's sections onto this track. You can name/color them as you see fit. Then, if you want to work on the chorus, no matter how the actual tracks may or may not overlap, you can tap once on the (empty) "Chorus" or "Drop 42" clip on your master track and then double tap "Actions" to loop just that section.

    Since you can use multiple 'empty' tracks for markers, it's essentially infinitely granular named markers/regions. The thing I'm working on tonight has big regions like "part 2" and "part 3" and each of those has a few sub-sections I wanted to pay attention to. I created an extra "no instrument" track named "markers" just to draw/name/color those sub-sections, making it easy to select and loop just those sub-sections. So, one track had empty regions for the larger regions like "part 1", "part 2" etc and one had empty regions for the sub-sections. Worked like a magical charm. Thanks, Matt!

    PS. Actually ended up with a third empty-regions-only track in the project for short time-based notes. It has named clips like "pluckier bass?" and "try a huge reverb" and "this is shit. fix it".

  • edited June 21

    Nice work on the DT list @Will ! Good stuff there.
    I often can’t resist the urge to make bad puns and jokes on my track markers. I haven’t been using the DT as you described with those, so I’ll have to write reminders to do that on my markers. 😊

  • @Cinebient said:
    Patience...still waiting for the mystic iPhone version.... :)

    Ditto

  • @Will said:

    @Will said:
    Maybe already mentioned but made much use of this on a project tonight...

    Named regions/markers:

    Presuming you have some sort of "master" track that doesn't have note/part data (or if you don't, just make an empty track) at the top of your project in song view...

    Create "song sections" by tapping DRAW and inserting empty parts corresponding to your song's sections onto this track. You can name/color them as you see fit. Then, if you want to work on the chorus, no matter how the actual tracks may or may not overlap, you can tap once on the (empty) "Chorus" or "Drop 42" clip on your master track and then double tap "Actions" to loop just that section.

    Since you can use multiple 'empty' tracks for markers, it's essentially infinitely granular named markers/regions. The thing I'm working on tonight has big regions like "part 2" and "part 3" and each of those has a few sub-sections I wanted to pay attention to. I created an extra "no instrument" track named "markers" just to draw/name/color those sub-sections, making it easy to select and loop just those sub-sections. So, one track had empty regions for the larger regions like "part 1", "part 2" etc and one had empty regions for the sub-sections. Worked like a magical charm. Thanks, Matt!

    PS. Actually ended up with a third empty-regions-only track in the project for short time-based notes. It has named clips like "pluckier bass?" and "try a huge reverb" and "this is shit. fix it".

    Can you add one for me? ”it’s probably fine, just release it!” 😀

  • I can’t believe I’ve gone this long without realizing I can hold the Solo button down and get this drop down...

  • @drez said:
    I can’t believe I’ve gone this long without realizing I can hold the Solo button down and get this drop down...

    🤯 the little downward arrows mean that there’s a long-press action available, right?

  • @jipumarino said:

    @drez said:
    I can’t believe I’ve gone this long without realizing I can hold the Solo button down and get this drop down...

    🤯 the little downward arrows mean that there’s a long-press action available, right?

    Yeah and they are everywhere I just never noticed this one before.

  • I learned that, apparently, audio tracks are important...

  • edited December 9

    .

Sign In or Register to comment.