Frequency Splitting

Hi,

I wanting to frequency split a bass sound, is there a way of doing this. I can’t see how to do this in the app or on the forum.

I want to output slate to 3 separate tracks if this can be done?

Thanks

Comments

• edited May 2019

basically you need add SEND to 3 other tracks

• add 3 more empty tracks without instrument
    • add 3 sends to those track on main track with bass, with set "pre fader"
    • put original track fader to zero (so sound will go just from those 3 tracks)
    • add filters on every of those 3 tracks to limit just some part of frequency spectrum

why i'm suggesting to use Filter instead of EQ ? Because Filter does have up to 48dB LP/HP modes .. if you have Fabfilter Q2, then you can use it instead of build in FX, it supports even up to 96dB bands (which is not always good for this kind of splitting, it depends on what you want to do)

Btw. if you are just into multiband distortion, then you should definitely check FAC BANDIT AU plugin - it's great 3 bands multiband overdrive/distortion plugin, with this one you save lot of routing in NS :)

• Great explanation dendy!
    I have no idea what to do with that sort of routing. Switching between scultped versions of a bass sound? Anyway, you made it look easy. Nice!

• edited May 2019

@SlapHappy said:
    Great explanation dendy!
    I have no idea what to do with that sort of routing. Switching between scultped versions of a bass sound? Anyway, you made it look easy. Nice!

there are some electronic genres (like hardcore, or harder subgenres of drum&bass) where you need this complex multiband distortion/equalisation processing of bass sounds or kick drums)

basically you aolit original sound into more parallel subtracks and then you apply different FX chain to every splitted part of frequency spectrum..

• Splitting the bass into two for sub and top is a pretty standard procedure, it’s not even that genre specific anymore because every genre wants that massive bass that knocks your socks off.

• every genre wants that massive bass that knocks your socks off.

:+1::lol:

• edited May 2019

Modern pop music be like: ”Jolene, Jolene, Jolene, Jolene / Oh, I'm begging of you please don't take my…” MASSIVE BASS DROP!!!!!1!!1

• @dendy said:

@SlapHappy said:
    Great explanation dendy!

there are some electronic genres (like hardcore, or harder subgenres of drum&bass) where you need this complex multiband distortion/equalisation processing of bass sounds or kick drums)

basically you aolit original sound into more parallel subtracks and then you apply different FX chain to every splitted part of frequency spectrum..

Thanks for that explanation dendy!
    Why address it as splitting the FX routing when one can just duplicate tracks and apply different FX to those tracks? Is this a hardware vs. number of tracks issue? Especially if tracks use CPU intensive FX, I could see the desire to limit the number of instances.

• hanks for that explanation dendy!

Why address it as splitting the FX routing when one can just duplicate tracks and apply different FX to those tracks?

it's better for sound design, you often need to tweak also patch and hear instantly how it sounds after all that parallel processing.. you usually moce in feedback cycles - you cgange something in parallel processing chains and then you go back to synth source to make some tweaks also there... or switch completely different patch but process it through same fx chain... it's university of sound design :-)))

• Hi Dendy

Thanks, that’s what I was looking for. I kind off almost got to the same point on a plane flight the the other day. I just sat and play played with Nanostudio without making any music and actually learned a lot

I always use filters to freq split in ableton for the steeper slopes.

I do make a lot of twisty basses using frequency splitting, but it always good to freq split the sub out of the basses when making a track just to keep the lows mono.

• I see. That makes a lot of sense. Great info dendy. Sounds like a nice subject for the Tips & Tricks section.

• edited June 2019

here small example, some random beat wit Neuro Bass 1-5 obsidian factory patches

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xrogntcgp0oue48/BassParallelProcessing.wav?dl=0

It always plays same patch first not processed (raw Obsidian), then processed throught always same 3 - channel frquency split (low/mid/high) and every band processed different way (various ovedrive/eq/compressor chains) ...

eg. neuro 1 unprocessed, then short pause, then processed, again short pause, neuro2 unprocessed, neuro 2 processed, etc etc.. All "processed" are going through same parallel buses with same settings..

• Thanks @dendy - makes it do much easier when you hear an example :)

• Thanks for the audio demo dendy! Nice to hear the intent of the technique.

@Stiksi said:
    Splitting the bass into two for sub and top is a pretty standard procedure, it’s not even that genre specific anymore because every genre wants that massive bass that knocks your socks off.

Huh - I didn’t know that.

@Stiksi said:
    Splitting the bass into two for sub and top is a pretty standard procedure, it’s not even that genre specific anymore because every genre wants that massive bass that knocks your socks off.

As a barefoot musician, I am fundamentally opposed to anything that should try to knock my socks off.

(Applying frequency splitting to your quote actually made my socks go right back on my feet.)