Automating auv3 fx audio plugins

edited January 2019 in Feature Requests

Hi, So as it stands now, I can load up an auv3 audio effects plugin on a group of tracks, draw a blank clip in the timeline, and then draw in some midi note I want to assign to some trigger in said effect. I then go to the effect, set midi learn and playback the track for a second so It assigns that note to the specific trigger. This works just fine, with the exception of things that can be automated from 1-127(over time). Since the group track has no instrument assigned, it would be a super neat feature to allow for a virtual midi keyboard that would pop up on the left side for mapping to virtual knobs, and an octave worth of keys that you could use map those midi learnable items to. And then the virtual knobs would show up as generic assignable midi automation knobs in the automation view for the track

I looked, and maybe I missed something but this would be super awesome.

Comments

• You are correct that this isn't possible yet. Actually, I didn't even realize there was some amount of MIDI note based automation of AU effects possible at all. Could you explain a little further what you've done (which AU, which controls, etc)?

There have been a good few discussions about adding an 'available anywhere' virtual keyboard. You've laid out another really cool use case in its favor.

• One in particular is turnado, it receives midi notes, so I will draw a note on the group track, then go back to the audio effects, hold down a parameter and select midi learn, play that portion of the track and then i can use that to turn the effect I want on, and use the velocity to set the amount of the effect I want .

• @aliosa27 said:
    One in particular is turnado, it receives midi notes, so I will draw a note on the group track, then go back to the audio effects, hold down a parameter and select midi learn, play that portion of the track and then i can use that to turn the effect I want on, and use the velocity to set the amount of the effect I want .

That is a very cool idea - great tip/trick!

• @toneman said:

@aliosa27 said:
    One in particular is turnado, it receives midi notes, so I will draw a note on the group track, then go back to the audio effects, hold down a parameter and select midi learn, play that portion of the track and then i can use that to turn the effect I want on, and use the velocity to set the amount of the effect I want .

That is a very cool idea - great tip/trick!

Indeed!

• @aliosa27 said:

Woah! Will try, thanks! :heart:

• That’s crazy! Will have to try as well!

• edited January 2019

Wonder which other AU effects allow for note based MIDI control.

@dendy Add this to the tips and tricks thread? If we can get a little list of other AUs that allow for this, maybe a clean new thread with @aliosa27's tip and a mini list of possible target AUs.

• @drez said:
    That’s crazy! Will have to try as well!

😆 yeah, really ‘crazy’ 😆 did you try it? Was it reeeeeally crazy?

• @Will said:
    Wonder which other AU effects allow for note based MIDI control.

@dendy Add this to the tips and tricks thread? If we can get a utlittle list of other AUs that allow for this, maybe a clean new thread with @aliosa27's tip and a mini list of possible target AUs.

yeah, added it

• apefilter seems to react for channel midi data. The problem is, i can’t dissable it, so it changes eq frequency with every midi note. It also seems to responds to some automation not intended for it.

• @qbassa said:
    apefilter seems to react for channel midi data. The problem is, i can’t dissable it, so it changes eq frequency with every midi note. It also seems to responds to some automation not intended for it.

If I put ProQ2 after Perforator it bounces EQ parameters around, hehe

• Feature or FREQOWT?

• @Audiogus said:
    Feature or FREQOWT?

Ooo, that looks cool! You can't automate the in-built EQ so this is making me think about buying…

• @Stiksi said:

@Audiogus said:
    Feature or FREQOWT?

Ooo, that looks cool! You can't automate the in-built EQ so this is making me think about buying…

I have a feeling it is a bug though and will be fixed... kind of an odd happy accident though!

• @Stiksi said:

You can automate Stereo Filter in NS2 though which is handy.

• @Audiogus said:

@Stiksi said:

You can automate Stereo Filter in NS2 though which is handy.

Yes, it is and I know I can just use three to duplicate EQ3 but i’m lazy 🤷‍♂️

• good thing on using single filter is that you see better on spectral analyser what is happening just with that particular band you automate ..

and filter also has up to 48 dB LP/HP filters for totally surgical cuts !

• @dendy said:

That is the juice!

• @Audiogus said:

That is the juice!

I'll just add that those >24dB modes were added based my request :trollface:

• @dendy said:

@Audiogus said:

That is the juice!

I'll just add that those >24dB modes were added based my request :trollface:

And I thank you for it 🙏

• @aliosa27 said:

Thank you for the workaround! It is much better then automation! Thanks!

• @aliosa27 said:

Does this still work??? I tried it and I got nothin’.