JWM - Sunrizer Challenge

This was part of a challenge over at the Audiobus forums. This track is 100% synthesised with Sunrizer, sequenced and mixed in Nanostudio 2 and polished in Auria Pro. Rozeta's Particles were used to sequence the blips and bloops at random in the "ambient" section. Enjoy.

Comments

• Great stuff !! :+1::+1:

Btw also drums were synthetized in Sunrizer ??

• @dendy said:
    Great stuff !! :+1::+1:

Btw also drums were synthetized in Sunrizer ??

Thanks mate. :) And yes, the drums were synthesised in Sunrizer. Wouldn't be a proper challenge otherwise. I forgot to mention, the only sample I used was an inaudible closed hi-hat acting as a sidechain trigger. I disabled "send audio to parent", set up the compressors and sends, and presto chango. 😎

Oh, and in Auria, I used that brand-spankin new MagicDeathEye compressor to get the track nice and glued prior to Pro-Q2 and Pro-L2.

• I used that brand-spankin new MagicDeathEye compressor

Hm, ok i'm more and more opened to possibility that i'll try this one... i read positive reviews everywhere :)

• @dendy said:

I used that brand-spankin new MagicDeathEye compressor

Hm, ok i'm more and more opened to possibility that i'll try this one... i read positive reviews everywhere :)

Exactly. A mastering engineer's wet dream, lol. Our mate Doug (SoundTestRoom) has a demo vid out by the way. This authority of demoing all the iOS music things should be the determining factor. ;)

• @dendy said:
    Ok, purchased it. After one hour trying, here is my result.

I will be totally honest - i don't hear anything special. Yes, it's nice transparent neutral compressor - still not that transparent/neutral like NS2 build-in compressor (DME is stealing a little bit of high frequencies, it's like there is added very subtle high shelf ??)

Sorry but i don't hear any magic there, especially not at this price point. Which is good, it means i can return it and use that money for something else :)

Definitely there is no added value in this compressor for me, nothing that i already don't have covered with NS2 compressor + FAC Transient + AD RoughRider.

Here are two loops (drums+bass and drum+bass+melody) - dry and then sent through DME and NS2 compressor... maybe it's just my old ears but rally i don't hear any signifficant sifference..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3anhq8xok9y2ic6/dme-vs-ns2comp.zip?dl=0

I hear. :) Well NS2's compressor is perfect for gluing singular tracks, sound design (and trust me, it shows up everywhere in my track), and 90% of my everyday usage, but the trick of MDE is that...

1. It's impossible to make sound like shit, lol. Most compressors tend to steal a little bit of the high frequencies depending on how hard you slam down on the threshold. Some people call this a "warming effect"? 🤔 Regardless...

2. The D1/D2 time settings. The time setting knob is basically the timing of the release. Settings 1-4 are your standard type of releases you can find in any compressor. The D1/D2 releases are the magic dual releases. If you were to, say, slam the threshold of a compressor down hard on the master track, you'd notice that the reverb tail will pump right up into the forefront. The dual release eliminates that problem (not that I advocate slamming the threshold down and squashing the bejesus out of your master track) by adding some sort of curvature to the envelope of the release if that makes any sense.

That said, at least you gave it the ol' college try mate. 😉

• edited June 2019

most probably it's just that subtle difference is beyond treshold of my old ears :))

It's impossible to make sound like shit, lol.

this is true.. parameters are set just to sweet spot. I understand why people like this, you don't need think too much, just tweak some knob and job is done :)

I'm different, i want to do exactly what i want to do and i want to have everything under control - if i want to set 10 ms attack and 50 ms decay with 1:2.5 ratio and threshold -8.5dB i want to set it exactly like that ... If i WANT to sound it "bad" (eg pushing compressor on the edge of it's parameters range), i'm doing it on purpose.. That's why always like more surgical totally transparent not-coloring compressors with full range of parameters, not those tuned just to "sweet spot" area..

Anyway i'm glad i tried it. Now i can sleep well knowing that i really don't need it :lol:
    But UI is nice :)

btw i messed my previous post - i wanted to edit it, then it posted it twice so i deleted previous copy but after refresh there was no post at all.. good you managed do reply with full quote before i fucked it up :)))