Loop recording starts at the start of the track rather than the start of the loop

edited June 2019 in Bug Reports

This is a bug I encounter relatively often:

Set a loop somewhere within a track

Enter the Instrument view and with the loop playing compose a new part

When I am ready to record I stop playing the loop, and hit the record button

The playhead jumps to the start of the track rather than the start of the loop, despite the fact that I have just been playing the loop, so the part is recorded in the wrong place in the timeline, potentially recording over existing parts placed at the start of the song.

Comments

• If you hit Stop while playing a loop and then hit record it will pre-roll and then start recording from where you stopped. If you hit Stop and then tap rewind once it will go to the beginning of the loop. If you tap Rewind twice it will go to the beginning of song. If you tap once more it will go back to the beginning of the loop. For me it doesn’t automatically go to the beginning of the song in any case.

• @richardyot said:
    This is a bug I encounter relatively often:

Set a loop somewhere within a track

Enter the Instrument view and with the loop playing compose a new part

When I am ready to record I stop playing the loop, and hit the record button

The playhead jumps to the start of the track rather than the start of the loop, despite the fact that I have just been playing the loop, so the part is recorded in the wrong place in the timeline, potentially recording over existing parts placed at the start of the song.

I can’t seem to reproduce this but this has happened to me quite a bit because of accidental double-taps on the stop button, which takes the playhead to the beginning of the song. Are you sure that’s not what’s happening to you too?

If you’re sure you’re not double tapping, more detail would be very helpful so we can try to narrow down the circumstances and reproduce it.

• I'm reasonably sure that it's not down to a double-tap (I'm familiar with the gesture and use it often in NS2), however it is a possibility I will keep in mind.

If there was a mini-timeline visible below the transport bar when you are in the instrument view (like the one in GarageBand for example) this would be much less of a gotcha.

• @richardyot said:
    I'm reasonably sure that it's not down to a double-tap (I'm familiar with the gesture and use it often in NS2), however it is a possibility I will keep in mind.

If there was a mini-timeline visible below the transport bar when you are in the instrument view (like the one in GarageBand for example) this would be much less of a gotcha.

Yes that's true. I've formed a habit of glancing at the time display before recording to check that it's around the right area. It definitely cuts down on the false starts.

The mini-timeIine is a popular request. I think there are two schools of thought about it. I'm in the other camp. Even in Ableton, I very rarely use the mini-timeline for anything other than double-clicking to view the whole project in Arrange Mode. In NS, I don't miss a mini-timeline at all because I have a general idea where the playhead is from the time display. Even with the mini-timeline I would have to go into the Song Editor to move the playhead. But it seems a lot of people like the visual feedback from the mini-timeline. The skill I most admire in people who are asking for it is that they can follow the mini-timeline while recording and anticipate the changes in the track. I can't see myself being able to time myself with the help of a tiny display while focusing on playing, I just learn the hits beforehand. Being able to read the display like that sounds like a useful skill.

• edited June 2019

tried to reproduce this bug but without success .. only with, like Stiksi mentioned, double tap on stop...

• @richardyot said:

Do you mean the ruler/ribbon thing in garageband (showing bars/beats) or is there some other condensed mini-timeline in GB I've missed?

I quite like the way the ruler/ribbon is always visible in GB. Would be sweet to have something like that visible in both instrument and mixer views in NS. Especially if you could interact with to reposition the playhead.

The oft-requested mini project overview would be less useful for me (mainly for the reason's Stiksi mentioned) but still useful as long as you could swipe left/right to reposition the playhead.

• @Will said:

@richardyot said:

Do you mean the ruler/ribbon thing in garageband (showing bars/beats) or is there some other condensed mini-timeline in GB I've missed?

I quite like the way the ruler/ribbon is always visible in GB. Would be sweet to have something like that visible in both instrument and mixer views in NS. Especially if you could interact with to reposition the playhead.

The oft-requested mini project overview would be less useful for me (mainly for the reason's Stiksi mentioned) but still useful as long as you could swipe left/right to reposition the playhead.

Yeah just the ribbon with a playhead marker would be enough for me, just like the one in GB.