Ableton Live export

The ability to export projects into Ableton Live would be useful. There are already some ios music apps that implement the feature via Ableton live export. Here’s a video from Auxy showing how Ableton Live export is implemented in their app.

Comments

• Exporting stems is not much slower, just export stems (preferably in32bit floating point, create a new project in Ableton and CMD/Ctrl-drag the stems in -> instant project.

• True, but it’s a selling point, and increasingly apps are supporting it. I believe there is an Ableton provided library or API or something to make it easier to do.

Not something I care about, but I think worthy of consideration rather than dismissal, as possible low-hanging fruit to make NS more attractive to new users.

• edited June 2019

One important thing... i guess under "live export" everybody imagines importing then such file in Live's session view ...

this works pretty good from Gadget and other apps with basically same logical sequencer structure like Live session view (eg. rows are "scenes", columns are tracks, so some form of grid of patterns)

Problem is there is no such thing in NS. There is just linear sequencer view. I don't see any meaningful way how to automatically export current project in NS2 as Live session view.

Or i'm not seeing something obvious ? I see this feature possible (inevitable?) after some form of Live-like session view will be added to NS (i REALLY hope this happens one day !!).

Or it would make sense to create Live project with basically one scene (one row) where every pattern (column) contains whole track from NS project ?

• For my purposes, the power of having Ableton Live export comes from being able to seamlessly transition from a NS2 project and continue working on it in Ableton’s arrangement view. Ideally, I would use NS2 for making beats and overall song structure. NS2 is perfect for this since it’s portable and efficient due to its touchscreen midi capabilities. Ableton live export would then provide a way to seamlessly continue working on my project in Ableton. Within Ableton I would have the ability to record vocals, add audio tracks, audition my tracks through Vst synths and properly mix/master my track.

Sure, technically I can export the audio stems from NS2 and import them into Ableton live as a workaround. Then I would also have to export the MIDI from the same NS2 tracks and import those into Ableton. Then I would have to group and color code everything in Ableton’s arrangement view so I can finally continue working on my track. However, Ableton Live export would provide a way to do all of this in one simple step.

The issue of Ableton clip compatibility with NS2 could be remedied by giving the option of exporting your tracks based on bars: e.g. 4 bars, 8 bars, 16 bars etc. Tracks would still be exported in complete form into Ableton’s arrangement view, but now we would have an option of how we wanted clips to be rendered. If this isn’t an option, then we could use the idea that @dendy proposed, where whole tracks would be imported into single clips. Either way, for my purposes, I wouldn’t be focusing on Ableton’s clip view since the track itself would’ve been arranged in NS2 and reflected in Ableton’s arrangement view. Even if no clips were created in the Ableton Live export process, it still wouldn’t affect my overall workflow. If I really wanted clips they could easily be created from Ableton’s arrangement view.

• ^Nice summary. I have nothing else to add, but here is the link to the Ableton SDK for iOS page. Like I say, I’m not a big Ableton user, but just about everyone else is, and it could be a way to make NS2 more attractive with relatively low effort. I hope the idea will make it past the (well intentioned ... don’t get me wrong) doorkeepers who try to protect Matt from too many incoming feature requests.

http://ableton.github.io/export/

Ableton Live Set Export is a library that allows an application to write Ableton Live project files. The library handles generation of the ALS document, but also creates the project folder structure and copies any associated audio resources to the project. The library provides an Objective-C wrapper for iOS development.

• @itsinthemusiq interesting ideas and point of view, now i see better how this really makes sense...

and it could be a way to make NS2 more attractive

yeah definitely agree

I hope the idea will make it past the (well intentioned ... don’t get me wrong) doorkeepers

actually some of "doorkeepers" would appreciate it too :)))

• @dendy said:
    One important thing... i guess under "live export" everybody imagines importing then such file in Live's session view ...

this works pretty good from Gadget and other apps with basically same logical sequencer structure like Live session view (eg. rows are "scenes", columns are tracks, so some form of grid of patterns)

Problem is there is no such thing in NS. There is just linear sequencer view. I don't see any meaningful way how to automatically export current project in NS2 as Live session view.

Live Export is another request that sort of hints at additional value from adding of a dedicated marker track. With that in place, you could select 'By marker region' for Live export. Then, each session column would be a single NS track and each session view row would be created by autoslicing clips at each region marker.

• Live Export is another request that sort of hints at additional value from adding of a dedicated marker track.

This !!