FR: Separate MIDI setup per input (or channel), per track

In my current setup, I have a master MIDI keyboard in a fixed MIDI channel (16), I usually use "Track Receives MIDI when: selected", which works perfectly when using NS's internal sequencer. But when I want to use an external MIDI sequencer (say, my Digitakt), I need to switch the track to "receives MIDI when: always", and then I lose the ability to use the master keyboard.

I'd like to request a way of setting an input to play a track when selected, and another to play always play it. Alternatively, doing it per MIDI channel instead of MIDI input would also work.

Yet another, alternative option (inspired by Elektron machines) would be to have an "Auto MIDI channel", messages sent to that channel always go to the selected track.

Comments

• You can limit the MIDI channel per-track on the same screen (16 boxes up top). Then you just switch the MIDI channel on your controller to switch the target track. Does that do what you're after or am I misunderstanding the request?

• The problem is that my master keyboard has a fixed MIDI channel (in a practical sense, at least). That's why the "selected" option is so fantastic for just using it along with NS.

• I’m not entirely clear what’s going on here but can you just set the external sequencer to output on Channel 16?

• @anickt said:
    I’m not entirely clear what’s going on here but can you just set the external sequencer to output on Channel 16?

Ah, because it's a multi-channel sequencer, so I'd like to sequence multiple NS tracks.

• @jipumarino said:

@anickt said:
    I’m not entirely clear what’s going on here but can you just set the external sequencer to output on Channel 16?

Ah, because it's a multi-channel sequencer, so I'd like to sequence multiple NS tracks.

I thought that might be the case. :/

• edited June 2019

@jipumarino said:

@anickt said:

For that, you need to limit the MIDI input channel per track in NS anyway, no?

I'd set the Digitakt's "Auto channel" to 16. Plug the keyboard into the DT and then change tracks on the DT to control which NS track you play (based on the NS track you're aiming to sequence with the given DT track).