Workflow Streamlining - Select Sidechain Track from Compressor

I just had an idea of how NS2 could be streamlined (at least when it comes to Vocal productions/EDM productions). During the current workflow, if I want a track to be sidechained, I go to the mixer, insert a compressor on the track, go all the way to the sidechain source track, hit "add send", scroll through an increasingly long list of tracks, select the track to be sidechained, go all the way back to the track that'll be sidechained, go to the compressor, and then adjust the compressor controls.

What I'd like to see is a streamlining of this. My idea is I go to the mixer, insert a compressor on the track, press the box area in "external sidechain", select the sidechain source track (which will most likely be at the top of the list of tracks), and then adjust the compressor controls. The only time I'd have to scroll in a list of tracks would be to sidechain a background instruments buss to a vocal as I usually plop the vocal towards the bottom of the track list, lol. This would speed up my workflow from 30-45 seconds per sidechain to a mere less-than-10 seconds per sidechain.

Comments

• yeah, this would be really cool workflow improvement !

• Yes this is my no. 1 pet peeve 😀 I’ve set up a duck group on my default project with sidechaining and the source channel already mapped, so I can just drop instruments in.

But I would LOVE this! Especially building more complex sidechain structures will add up quickly.

• go all the way back to the track that'll be sidechained, go to the compressor, and then adjust the compressor controls.

btw., do you know that after you add send to compressor, you can jump directly to that track containing that compresor by tapping on little rectangle ON send channel ? You can use this rectangle for jumping between send and return channels ;)

• edited July 2019

@dendy said:

go all the way back to the track that'll be sidechained, go to the compressor, and then adjust the compressor controls.

btw., do you know that after you add send to compressor, you can jump directly to that track containing that compresor by tapping on little rectangle ON send channel ? You can use this rectangle for jumping between send and return channels ;)

Yes, that is a good tip. That button does a great job of taking out three taps late in the process but the actual problem is the previous dozen.

I would love a button on the compressor that would create the send automatically, eliminating the need to visit another channel completely.

• edited July 2019

insert a compressor on the track, press the box area in "external sidechain", select the sidechain source track

+1. Vurry nice.

Not in front of my iPad at the moment but if wondering if this works?
    Edit: nope, doesn't work.

1. Add compressor
    2. On same track, tap "Returns"
    3. Tap "Add Audio Return" and select the sidechain source
    4. Mute/disable it (since we don't really want the audio in the mixer)
    5. Go back to compressor and tap "External sidechain"
    6. Is the sidechain source track there?

If so, woot. Not quite as elegant as the original request (still has extra taps) but a lot less scrolling about and wayfinding since it's all within two tabs on the same compressor track.

• @Will no this doesn't work .. you cannot add send to compressor sidechain this way ..